The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Willingness of a Savior

"While Jesus was in one of the towns,
a man came along who was covered with leprosy.
When he saw Jesus,
he fell with his face to the ground and begged him,
'Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean.'
Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man.
'I am willing,' he said.
'Be clean!' And immediately the leprosy left him.
Then Jesus ordered him,
'Don't tell anyone, but go,
show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing,
as a testimony to them.'
Yet the news about him spread all the more,
so that crowds of people came to hear him
and to be healed of their sicknesses.
But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed."
Luke 5:12-16



He tripped and fell, skinning his tender knee on the unforgiving pavement.
"Waaaaa!  I want my Mommy!" the toddler screamed before running off to find his savior.  When the mother caught sight of her distraught child, blood dripping down his shin, she responded immediately.  "Come her, Baby.  It's okay, I'll get you fixed up and you'll feel better in no time."
Suddenly, the little boy's cries turn into sniffles as he put himself into the caring hands of his mother.

This mom didn't have to think about whether or not she'd help her beloved son.  Instead, she was eager to end his suffering.  It's the same with Jesus.  He is always ready to help me, if only I'd put myself into His caring hands.

My healing is dependent upon Jesus' willingness to save me, not on my worthiness or degree of need.  No matter what the pain, He is willing and able to help me.  For that reason, I can trust Him, believe in Him and base my faith on His integrity.  He's a voluntary Savior.

Trust

My daughter adopted two feral kittens a couple of years ago.  Knowing nothing but the streets they came from, these two skittish kitties needed lots of patient and gentle care.  Over time, they have gradually built a level of trust in their human family.  They've progressed from scared, timid felines hiding under the furniture, to the more friendly, playful cats we know today.  Wild cats are used to thinking of humans as predators so it takes commitment to show them otherwise.

It's not so different with me and Jesus.  Even though He has shown me to be trustworthy, I tend to shy away from letting Him get too close.  I may be afraid He's going to condemn me for my sinful ways, forsake me for my lack of faith, or expect from me more than I can give.

The truth is that He came to the world to save it, not condemn it (John 3:17), there is nothing that can separate me from from His love and He'll never leave me (Hebrews 13:5  Romans 8:35).  As long as my heart is willing, what I have to give is enough.  (Psalm 51:17)  If I let Jesus into the deepest recesses of my soul, He will become my best friend.  (Revelation 3:20)

Because Jesus is willing to help me, I can trust Him with my life.

Believe

I hear a lot about the concept of belief in this age of "if it feels good do it" and "anything goes" mentalities.  People can believe in many different ideas and philosophies, but there is only one God and one Truth. (Isaiah 44:6  John 14:6)  If there is belief, there must be a concept, idea or entity in which I place that belief.  I can't just believe.

Since Jesus is able to do more than I ask or imagine, I would rather believe He will provide for my needs.  (Ephesians 3:19-21)  Since Jesus is the Mighty Counselor, I feel secure in putting my relationships into His capable hands.  (Isaiah 9:6)  Since Jesus is the Savior of the world, I accept His sacrifice as the only thing giving me life eternal, freedom from condemnation and peace with God and others.  (Acts 4:12)

Believing is what takes place in my heart, but if it's true acceptance my life will be changed as I surrender more of myself to Jesus.  Oswald Chambers said it's as if Jesus is challenging me: "If you would be My disciple, give up your right to yourself to Me."  Then he goes on to say, "When once the surrender has taken place we never need 'suppose' anything.  We do not need to care what our circumstances are, Jesus is amply sufficient."

Where am I questioning?  Maybe it's when I'm sitting in the doctor's office again, waiting for yet another test result as the pain persists to ravage my body.

Perhaps I wonder whether Jesus really can help when I cry myself to sleep over the pieces of my broken marriage.

It could be that I'm not believing Jesus can do a thing to improve my unstable job situation or less-than adequate living conditions.  

I can believe Jesus will do as He's said He will do, without a second thought.  In my mind, I can make it as if it's already happened.

Because Jesus is willing to help me, I can believe He is able to do anything.

Basis

When I sit in my Lazy Boy recliner, I feel confident in lowering my full weight to rest on it because I know it's made with sturdy craftsmanship:  It's integrity comes from the way it was constructed.

Likewise, my faith in Jesus is based on the fact that He is, "the same yesterday and today and forever," (Hebrews 13:8) as well as, "the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End." (Revelation 22:13)  He is also the, "author and perfecter of my faith" who is seated at the right hand of God Almighty.  (Hebrews 12:2)

Jesus and His teachings do not change with the times, He is an integral part of all of creation, and He is the One who makes my faith possible.  I can base my confidence on all of these truths.

It is easy, however, to get caught up in all that Jesus has done for me.  He has freed me from guilt and shame.  He has given me a peace that I would not otherwise experience.  He has given me a sense of purpose and meaning as I follow Him.  These, however, can all be considered to be icing on the cake.  My faith is not based on these "perks" or benefits.  If it was, the moment life gets difficult, my conviction would waver.

Instead, my faith is based on the solid Rock of Jesus.  (1 Peter 2:6)  On Him, my confidence is sure.

Because Jesus is willing to help me, I can base my faith on His identity and integrity.


There's no question that Jesus wants to take up a bigger space in my life.  He is willing to heal, to restore and to bind up my broken heart.  Consequently, I can trust Him in all things, believe He can do all things, and base my faith on Him who is all things.  Jesus is my all in all.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can cast away all doubt and keep my eyes solely on Jesus.

When do I let fear block my belief in the One who can set me free?

How is my faith based on what I get out of my relationship with Jesus instead of on who He is?

No comments:

Post a Comment