The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Who's My Master?

Originally published on June 30, 2015, four days after the Supreme Court legalized Gay marriage

"Hear me, you heavens! Listen, earth!
For the LORD has spoken:
'I reared children and brought them up,
but they have rebelled against me.
The ox knows its master,
the donkey its owner's manger,
but Israel does not know,
my people do not understand.'"
Isaiah 1:2-3



The past few days have been quite eye-opening.  After the news came out that the Supreme Court had narrowly decided to legalize gay marriage nationwide, I was shocked to see the opinions of many self-professing Christians who celebrated the decision.  I wondered how anyone claiming Christ as Lord and Savior could buy into such a morally corrupt belief.

While I tend to think we have reached new lows as both a society and a people of God, I read the words found in the prophecies of Isaiah and I realize there really is nothing new under the sun.  We have been here before, and the problems are quite similar as to the ones facing the nation of Israel.  While beasts of burden instinctively know who their master is, man is quite another story.

Without Excuse.  He left His mark on everything He created, giving His image-bearers clues to His character.  The consistency and predictability of the rising and setting of the sun and moon speaks to His steadfast, unchanging nature (Malachi 3:6).  The delicate intricacy of a flower reveals His love of beauty and His attention to detail (Psalm 139:14).  The joyous singing of the birds each morn gives me a glimpse of how much He adores the praise from His designed creatures (Psalm 66:4).  There are constant reminders of Himself throughout creation.

Therefore, I am without excuse when I turn away from Him and choose to follow my own darkened heart (Romans 1:20).  Even more, those who truly have repented of their sinful ways and have put on Christ Jesus as Lord experience the benefit of the Holy Spirit to guide, convict of sinful ways, and empower to live a holy life (John 7:39, Titus 2:11-12).  Consequently, I grieve His indwelling Spirit when I act as if I know no better by living according to my flesh and as if I belong to the world (Ephesians 4:301 Thessalonians 5:19).

I am without excuse when I choose to believe as the world does instead of trusting in what my conscience knows is right.

Rebellion.  I've seen plenty of rebellious children in my day, some right under my own roof.  In fact, I'm so familiar with defiance because my heart often disregards the leading of God's indwelling Spirit.  But there is more to this rebellious spirit than meets the eye.  

When I fail to acknowledge God as sovereign, that He is my master through faith in Jesus Christ, I am in a sense dissenting from God's righteous judgement.  I am saying that I think my way is better than His, that I know better or can see more clearly than He can.  I am bucking His authority over me as His child and am instead bowing to a different god, one who is more like me, is socially acceptable and morally lenient:  A god with whom I am more comfortable.  This kind of idolatry, however, is not welcomed in the kingdom of God, and therefore belongs not in the heart of a Kingdom dweller (1 Corinthians 6:9-11).

For example, Gay marriage is not marriage at all, but is a cheap substitute created by man to serve his sinful purposes.  Since God did not create it, I, as His child, have no business supporting it let alone rejoicing in it's lawlessness (Matthew 19:4-6, Genesis 1:27, 2:20-25).  Doing so defies the very nature of love which does not "rejoice at wrongdoing"  (1 Corinthians 13:6).  Real love did not win out that historic day, and to profess so is to blaspheme a holy God whose very nature is love (1 John 4:8).

When I as a child of God through faith in Jesus Christ turn away from God's standard of holy living, I have become rebellious against Him (1 Peter 1:14-16).

Clueless.  His ways are difficult, going against my nature, conflicting with my natural desires (Romans 7:15-25, Galatians 5:17) .  Therefore, when I come up against God's infallible wall, His standards and law, I must either adjust myself and my way of thinking until I agree with it, or I reject it.  I cannot, instead, try to conform God into someone with whom I am more comfortable, a cuddly, Father-time type character who looks the other way when it comes to the sin I welcome into my life.  This is called idolatry and it is a serious offense to God because I am creating a false god who doesn't mind my sin (1 Corinthians 10:6-14).

Who is my master if I rejoice in sinful lifestyles, refusing to warn those who are perishing of the consequences of their actions?  It may not make me popular, but can my conscience let me ignore the suffering all around me or even support those who are doomed to destruction (1 John 3:4-10, 2 Peter 2:4-10)?

I am acting as if I were clueless to God's true nature when I create an altogether false god to worship in His place.



I call myself a Christian yet do I know who my Master is?  I would be wise to let God examine my heart in terms of my response to the Supreme Court's gay marriage ruling of June 26, 2015 and all subsequent actions by its supporters, including the aggressive agenda to indoctrinate our children into believing gay marriage is a healthy alternative or the endorsement of a former president claiming Jesus would approve .  I am without excuse as to God's immutable character yet often rebel in my desire to fit in with the world, acting as if I were clueless as to the nature of God.  In these ways, beasts of burden seem to have more sense than I.  Who is my master, anyway?


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can honestly open my heart to God so He can test my intentions.

When do I support a cause without truly understanding its root or implications?

How do I follow my own understanding instead of trusting God?

No comments:

Post a Comment