The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

He Holds Me Together

"On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night.
Because you are my help,
I sing in the shadow of your wings.
I cling to you;
your right hand upholds me."
Psalm 63:6-8



It seemed as if there was no purpose, no reason for the suffering.  Everything looked like it was falling apart; my life suddenly appeared as if it were a series of tragic mistakes with every door that appeared before me slamming in my face.  What was I to do?  Where was I to go to find help?  Did anybody care?  Where was this God who had claimed to love me?

My family recently sold every stick of furniture in order to move across the country so we could help my dad in his time of need.  When we arrived at our destination, we felt like Abram, going to the land where God had called us without knowing our exact destination. (Genesis 12:1)  I expected God to make our paths straight, however, setting everything up to prepare us for a smooth transition.  

As is to be expected with a God whose ways are far superior to mine, He had something else in mind.  As we lived the lives of the homeless for nearly two weeks, I wondered if we were fools to give up everything; our home, our security, our friends, and recklessly set out on this venture without a plan, without having everything set in stone before we left.  We believed God had the plan and was faithful to provide, but my eyes were telling me a different story.  What kind of a plan was this?

Thankfully, God is God no matter what I go through.  Consequently, when it seems like everything is falling apart, He is still there holding me together. It just takes eyes of faith to be able to remember the truth when my difficult circumstances obscure it from my perception.

Plan.  God's plan is not diminished by my crummy situation or difficult state of affairs.  When I focus on the problems that overwhelm, my life seems like nothing more than a big cosmic joke.  As I flounder through each day, each blow solidifies my belief that life is simply a series of random acts with no purpose.

When I turn my attention back toward the Maker of heaven and earth, reminding myself of His great and good plan for my life, I remember He takes every heartache, every struggle and every tragedy and works it together for my good. (Jeremiah 29:11-13Romans 8:28) He take the ashes and turns them into beauty.  In His mighty and gracious hands the grief is transformed into joy.  Where I perceive nothing but ruins He brings about restoration.  (Isaiah 61:3-4)

When it seems like everything is falling apart, His plan is not diminished one bit by my lack of faith.

Love.  No matter how difficult my life becomes, His love still sustains me.  Trouble is, I tend to hold a low view of love, thinking His compassion for me will lead me through nothing but green pastures and beside quiet streams.  I focus more on my comfort, desiring to live a pampered life free from difficulty.  When the inevitable trials come, it gives me the idea that God doesn't love me anymore, that He doesn't care enough to shield me from heartache and pain.

The truth is that there is nothing that can separate me from His love: the potholes of life, the sorrow of death, the fear that grips my heart or the anxiety about what is to come.  None of these things or any other power on earth or below it can take me away from His great love for me.  (Romans 8:28-29)

When it seems like everything is falling apart, God's love for me is not lost by my lack of faith. (Psalm 100:5)

Hope.  The one thing I always have through Christ Jesus is hope.  If this life was all there was, it would truly be hard to carry on.  Thankfully, through faith in Christ, I have eternity with Him to look forward to. (1 Corinthians 15:19)

Therefore, when it seems like there is no rhyme or reason to my life, I can remember the place being prepared just for me where I will experience true fulfillment and belonging. (John 14:1-3)  When my life is marked with much suffering and pain, I can keep my eyes on the prize of heaven which will make the struggle worth it.  (Philippians 3:14)  When I am surrounded by trouble, I can keep my eyes fixed on Jesus who endured far worse for my sake.  (Hebrews 12:1-4)

When it seems like everything is falling apart, the hope I have in Christ Jesus is never gone even when my faith falters.


One thing I can count on in this life is trouble.  Despite the difficult seasons I must endure, God's plan is never diminished, His love is not lost, and the hope I have in Christ is never gone.  Even when I feel otherwise, the truth tells me a different story.  He always holds me together and this time is no different.  Will I trust Him with today's trouble?


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will give God a chance to work through my circumstances.

When do I despair based on what I see instead of rejoicing in what I cannot see but is no less real?

How do I fail to walk by faith? 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder! It's a daily choice, sometimes moment by moment, to focus on my hope in Jesus rather than the trials in this life.
    Keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I am constantly amazed how my faith can be strong one minute and the next I am falling apart, giving in to doubt and fear. We really must live our faith out in each moment; we need Him so much!

      Delete