The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Right Intention, Wrong Approach

"They moved the ark of God 
from Abinadab's house on a new cart,
with Uzzah and Ahio guiding it.
David and all the Israelites were celebrating
with all their might before God,
with songs and with harps, lyres,
timbrels, cymbals and trumpets."
1 Chronicles 13:7-8



They did not lack for enthusiasm.  David was pumped.  His people were equally as excited.  The ark, a symbol of God's very presence, was returning to Jerusalem!  This was a day to celebrate!

In his zeal to do what seemed good, David failed to take his duty seriously, plunging forward in the best way he knew how.  Instead of consulting God's instructions on how he wanted the ark to be carried, he focused on getting the job done (Exodus 25:14-15, Numbers 4:15, Numbers 7:6-9).  His exuberance, however, did not make up for his neglect.  As a result, a man lost his life that day (2 Samuel 6:6-7).

In living my life, I would be wise to learn from David's mistake and in so doing, avoid dishonoring God.

Plunge Ahead.  I answer the call and am filled with passion and enthusiasm for this new mission.  I can't wait to begin serving in the area God has placed on my heart.  Instead of waiting on the Lord's timing, however, it's easy to plunge ahead without Him.

In God's kingdom, it is not up to me to make things happen.  Instead, I am entirely dependent upon Him for the timetable, abilities, strength and know-how.  My job is to simply submit to His lordship.  While I say "simply," it's not always so easy to let God lead.

After all, I may have done something like this before and assume God wants me to use my past experience to accomplish this new task.  Instead of waiting for His go-ahead, then, I run ahead of Him, spinning my wheels in the frustration that comes apart from His favor.

Or, it may seem obvious what God wants me to do and how He would have me begin such a task.  Instead of seeking His guidance, then, I rashly move forward in my own understanding.

Or, it could be that I see the good that will come from this ministry and witness deep suffering that could be alleviated.  In my desire to ease the pain felt by others, I rush forward, coming up with a plan that seems right to me.  Unfortunately, I completely missed the point as I separated myself from the Vine (John 15:5-6).

When plunging ahead, I risk offending God in my enthusiasm to work for God instead of with Him.

Forsake Insight.  I have my own way of doing things, but as I've learned over the years, my way is not always the best way.  In God's kingdom, how something is done counts.  It's not just a matter of getting the job done, but in learning to cooperate with what God is already doing.

Therefore, my connection to the Source of my supply is of the utmost importance.  It's not enough to go through the motions or even accomplish a task well if God is not even considered as the architect of the master plan.  David found this out the hard way, and I am at risk of doing the same.

Instead of focusing on completing the task that lies before me, then, it is my relationship with Jesus that really counts.  If I keep my eyes on Him, I won't lose sight of my Guide as He leads me through each step, showing me how He wants the job done.  Once I get distracted, focusing on something else, I'll lose track of my Shepherd and likely stray of the path.

When forsaking insight, I risk offending God in my zeal to finish the job even if it means doing it without Him.

Result Driven.  Statistics.  Numbers.  Improvement.  I often look for some kind of positive sign that proves my efforts are making a difference.  How many lives have been touched?  Who has seen growth in their faith?  What is the number of professions of faith due to this ministry?  These are the kinds of questions I ask myself.  In my mind, results equals success.

In God's Kingdom, however, obedience rules supreme.  My heart is what really matters to Him.  Therefore, if He asks me to do something, I am to do it with all my heart simply because He asked.  Instead of focusing on my legacy, the impact I am making or whether or not I'm making a difference, I can pay attention to how I am pleasing God in my faithfulness to His calling.

Since God is the all-knowing One, only He knows the impact of my obedience.  Trusting Him enough to continue to labor with Him, then, is all that counts.  Adoniram Judson seems to have understood this concept well.  He answered God's call to the mission field but after being blocked from entering India and finally finding an open door in Burma, he suffered isolation, the loss of his first child, and 6 years of work without one soul won for Christ.

If this missionary had given up due to lack of results, 200,000 Burmese would not have come to know Christ and the people of Burma would not have the benefit of reading God's Word in their own language.  Judson's love for the Lord and dedication to His calling gave the man the tenacity to hang on in the face of difficulty.

When letting results be my inspiration, I risk offending God when the outcome is more important than my love for Him.


It's easy to get off track when I'm excited!  When my zeal is what empowers me, I tend to plunge ahead, forsaking His insight and focusing on what comes out of my labors.  Then I end up like David, having the right intention but using the wrong approach.  May my zeal for loving Jesus be my only driving force!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I not forsake my first Love.

How is it easy to focus on the plan instead of the Planner?

When do I often run ahead in my zeal to impress God by my dedication and trustworthiness?       

No comments:

Post a Comment