The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, February 7, 2019

Eternal Benefit

Originally published on January 22, 2014.  Republished today in honor of my mom, who on this day one year ago realized her hope in Christ and went to live with Him for the rest of eternity.  

"When you were slaves to sin,
you were free from the control of righteousness.
What benefit did you reap at the time
from the things you are now ashamed of?
Those things result in death!
But now that you have been set free from sin
and have become slaves to God,
the benefit you reap leads to holiness,
and the result is eternal life.
For the wages of sin is death,
but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 6:20-23



He was a man who tried everything in his search for meaning and happiness.  Hundreds of women crossed the threshold of his bedroom, countless philosophers and teachers discussed the wisdom of the ages, wealth and pleasure all were his, but still he lacked peace and contentment.  His conclusion?  It's all meaningless!  Nothing in life brings genuine fulfillment.

In the end, Solomon did draw a deeper conclusion from his lifelong quest for meaning.  He said, "Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone's duty.  God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad." (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 NLT)  

God had blessed Solomon with everything most people desire.  Wisdom, wealth and honor like no other king had ever possessed belonged to him.  Still, Solomon felt empty as he explored these good things throughout his years.

This famous ruler found out the hard way that following the flesh gives no lasting benefit.  Pleasure is fleeting, happiness is transient and any meaning that is found is usually empty and ends in death.  The only thing that makes sense is to live as God intended me to exist, in submission to Him.  When I become a slave to God instead of to my own desire for happiness, I will come to the same conclusion as Solomon: I am created to live in relationship with God.


Control of Righteousness

"I can do whatever I want!"  Anyone who is the parent of a toddler or a teenager has probably heard these words at some point in their youngster's life.  We as humans have strong wills that want to have things our way.  No one knows this better than a parent with a rebellious child.  

If I'm honest with myself, though, I realize that I am no different than that preschooler throwing a fit in the grocery store aisle.  I want my way which is counter to God's way.  My Father knows what is best for me but I only care about fulfilling my own desires.  

When I've worked hard on earning a college degree, for instance, I feel it is my purpose to use that diploma to find a good job in my field.  God, however, has another plan as He waits for me to seek His will.

Then there are the times when I enjoy telling my friends or family about the struggles a sister in Christ is battling.  Instead of heeding the still, small Voice that calls for discretion, I continue exposing her hurts and pains for all to judge.

Sometimes I know that I would be better off without all the electronic gadgets that bring worldly values streaming into my home on a continual basis.  Instead of standing for what is good, however, I give in to the desire to be entertained.

As one who has been bought with a price, I can no longer think of my life as my own to do with as I please. (1 Corinthians 6:20)  Instead, I can move forward from here as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God, bringing my will into submission to His. (Romans 12:1)  Allowing God to be in control means sin no longer reigns in my life.

Now I have an obligation to do what is right as one who desires to please God in thought, word and deed.  I can't separate myself from the world as a hermit in a quest for righteousness; after all, if there's no temptation, there's no sin, right?  Maybe.  But perhaps I need to consider the encouragement of Oswald Chambers when he said, "It is of no value to God to give Him your life for death.  He wants you to be a 'living sacrifice,' to let Him have all your powers that have been saved and sanctified through Jesus.  This is the thing that is acceptable to God." 

What good am I to God if I am cut off from a world that needs Jesus so desperately?   I may become more holy, but does this please God in and of itself, or does He want more from me?

Living in relationship with God brings me under the control of righteousness so that I can live to please Him.

Holiness

As artists, my daughters own brushes that are created for one thing, and one thing only; painting on canvass.  While I can see other functions for their use, such as cleaning in tight corners, touch-up painting in my living room, or dusting delicate figurines, these tools are set aside for only one specific function.  Using them otherwise would damage their delicate nature and deny their purpose.

In a similar way, I am set aside for the single purpose of glorifying God.  I can think of all sorts of other functions for which I can be used, but not all will please God.  Selfish ambition can drive me toward worldly success, leaving me with much material wealth but devoid of peace.

Strong family relationships give much satisfaction and pleasure as I strive to do my best for my husband and children.  Emptiness soon comes, however, because I have left God out of the family.

Seeking a culturally diverse existence propels me toward many religions, but none contains the truth that has the power to set me free.

As one who belongs to God, my reason for existence is found in His plan for my life.  There are many paths I can choose to follow, but until I accept that God holds the blueprint, nothing will ever make sense.  Once I seek Him with all my heart, He will give me a desire to live a life that is radically different from those around me.

Instead of working toward success, I labor alongside the Lord as His servant without regard to my accomplishments.  Or I desire to fulfill my purpose as a wife and mother in a way that makes God the center of my home.  Or my fascination with foreign people groups compels me to share the gospel with a lost world.

Living in a relationship with God illuminates the greater purpose for my life.

Eternal Life

She once lived to die.  Her life brought forth seven children and a loving husband who was the joy of her life, but also drugs, alcohol, abuse and violence.  When living to please herself, she nearly died too many times to count.  Once she came to Christ, however, her outlook changed.  Instead of seeing her life as a series of failures and trauma, she began to see it as an opportunity to live for Him.

Once my friend invited Jesus into her life, her perspective changed.  In the past, despair ruled as she wallowed in the guilt and regret of all the pain her loved ones suffered by her hand.  Now, she has hope for what is to come.  

Paul shared this same expectation for eternity that drove him to persevere through the trials that came his way.  He said, "That is why we never give up.  Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day.  For our present troubles are small and won't last very long.  Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!  So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen.  For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever."  (2 Corinthians 4:16-18 NLT)

As one who is a slave to God instead of sin, I have eternal life to look forward to.  Everything in this world pales in comparison to the glory of heaven!  The pain of sickness will become as a faint shadow in my memory as I enter into the presence of the glory of God.  All the hurt that is as a result of sin will only serve to showcase the greatness of our God in comparison.  Nothing I can imagine will prepare me for the magnificence and beauty of my eternal home.

Living in a relationship with God through the tough times in this fallen world gives me the hope of eternal life that will spur me on.


Solomon found out that seeking happiness ended in disappointment, but living for God results in meaning.  As I give my life to God through faith in Jesus Christ, I will find I am under the control of righteousness that leads to a life that is set aside for God's glory, and all the suffering is not in vain as I realize my final destination outshines any pleasure I can find here on earth.  Living in relationship with God ends in a rich eternal benefit that far outweighs my wildest dreams.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stop following the flesh and begin to live as a slave to God.

How do I live as if I'm still a slave to sin?

When do I tend to give up hope, as if my problems in the here and now overshadow what I have to look forward to in eternity?

No comments:

Post a Comment