The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Listen and be Healed

"Go to this people and say,
'You will be ever hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing but never perceiving.'
For this people's heart has become calloused;
they hardly hear with their ears,
and they have closed their eyes.
Otherwise they might see with their eyes,
hear with their ears,
understand with their hearts and turn,
and I would heal them.
Therefore I want you to know that God's salvation
has been sent to the Gentiles,
and they will listen."
Acts 28:26-28


It's easy to know something but an entirely different concept to understand it.  One way to decipher the distinction is to take a stab at teaching.  I may think I have mastered Algebra, but until I have to explain and instruct someone else in how to navigate the quadratic equation and use it to solve a real-life problem, I demonstrate no real comprehension of the subject.

It's the same with God.  I can spend my whole life reading and studying His Word, but until I recognize my own wayward ways, pay attention to the warnings God is sending, or open my heart to the possibility that I need to get rid of some filth, I will never move forward in my relationship with Him.  Without my willingness to see the need for change, hear the voice of my Shepherd and respond in a meaningful way, I am showing the hardness of my heart.

It is then that I ask myself the deep probing questions that pierce but bring insight: Where do I need healing that never seems to come?  What parts of my life are chaotic and devoid of peace?  Where am I not experiencing harmony and serenity?  The answers to these questions reveal how I need healing that only comes from paying attention to God.

Seeing but not Recognizing

I remember walking right past a friend of mine in the grocery store one time because I saw her but did not recognize her.  After I passed by, I turned around and saw her as if for the first time.  I don't know why I didn't realize it was her at first, but after I did we enjoyed a nice visit.

Sometimes I do the same thing with God's Word.  I read it and think I understand it, but don't really apply it to myself.  I am quick to notice how it pertains to those around me, but when I turn that magnifying glass on my own life, I'm reluctant to pick out my areas of sin.  It takes humility to see things as they really are and not as I imagine them to be.

When Jesus says to feed His sheep, for example, I can either use that to criticize my church for not giving me the spiritual food I expect, or I can take it as a call to disciple others. (John 21:17)

When Jesus commands His followers to love their enemies, I can either take that as an indication that those who treat me harshly aren't doing what they should or I can pay attention to where I am holding anger against those who hurt me and instead extend the love of God to them. (Luke 6:27)

When I read about those who consider themselves to be religious yet use their tongue destructively, I can either pay attention to those around me who fail to speak in a way to build others up or I can concentrate on how I can do better by talking less and doing more to help those who are vulnerable. (James 1:26-27)

Other times I fail to see all the good God is doing and only focus on the disappointments. (Psalm 40:5)  I don't have enough money, I hurt all the time or my marriage is not as good as so-and-so's.  If I paid attention to the whole picture, though, I'd see that I'm rich beyond my wildest dreams, my pain brings hope (Romans 5:3-5) and what I have with my husband is growing richer every day.

Opening my eyes to the truth and recognizing it for what it is leads to a healing that can only come from God.

Hearing but not Appreciating

It's been said that I don't know what I have until it's gone.  I remember feeling discontent with my life as a child, but looking back I realized that I have a lot of good memories.  I resented my younger sister for always getting out of the chores, especially outdoor ones, but as a result I developed a healthy love for working outside.  I didn't like the fact that I didn't get to eat Hostess Twinkies and Fruit Pies all the time like my friends, but I learned to enjoy sweets as a treat not a regular habit.  I loathed wearing dresses every day to school but looking back, I see how important it was for me to dress like a girl in a world that wanted me to be more like a boy.

At the time, I didn't appreciate the guidance my parents gave, I simply complied with their authority.  In the same way I can do things for God without understanding.  By doing out of a sense of duty or obligation, I am failing to open my heart to the possibility of true change that results in good deeds that flow freely, not as a product of determination and hard work.  

James gives a hint that selfish ambition and envy are the hallmark of earthly, unspiritual wisdom that is of the devil, not from God.  (James 3:13-16)  This kind of knowledge results in "disorder and every evil practice." (v 16)  

I notice this when I try to build my own reputation as a "good Christian" instead of listening to the voice of my Shepherd and following Him into the ministry He has for me; bitterness builds up in my heart for others' lack of appreciation for my efforts.  Other times I hear but don't really get it when I stubbornly stick to my old ways instead of letting God transform my mind to think more like Him resulting in a pompous and arrogant attitude.  Then there are the times when I deny the obvious sin in my heart and choose instead to turn my back on God giving the outcome of a life that brings dishonor to my Namesake.

God cannot bring restoration to my heart until I am ready to open myself up to His healing hand and understand my need for change.

Living but not for Him

There is one reason and only one reason that God made me: so I can live for Him.  Unfortunately, there are many distractions to take me away from the One who loves me completely and without precondition.  The cry that reveals the heart of God is found in 2 Chronicles 7:14:  "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

God's desire is for relationship with His people.  Through faith in Jesus who cleanses me from all my sin, I have the chance to enter into an intimate relationship with a holy God.  Even though He despises the way I disobey and go my own way, He longs for me to lower myself to my rightful position, call upon Him, wholeheartedly search for Him in all my ways, and turn away from my fleshly desires that lead me away from Him.  

In short, God wants me to want Him more than anything else.  This is impossible, however, as long as I am my own god and I insist on retaining control of my life.  Jesus warned me that I can't serve two masters: Someone or something must be in control. (Luke 16:13)  Is it me?  My ambition?  My hunger for the security money brings?  

Once I realize my life has been bought at a steep price of death on a cross by Jesus Christ, I can begin to live as if I have no rights to myself.  I then can see I don't have the right to be comfortable, to have a say in the plan for my future, or to be treated with respect.  (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

As I let God have His way in my life, I will experience the work of His mighty hand as He loves others through me, comforts the hurting with the same comfort He once gave me, and encourages the hopeless with the faith in a God who gives good things.

Life may not be easy, but living for Him brings healing that only He can offer.


There are lots of areas in my life that need healing from hurts that have festered over the years. Until I'm willing, however, to acknowledge what the light of Jesus reveals, open my heart to the change that He can provide and let Him have His way in my life, I will never be healed.  Once I open my eyes and ears, and soften my heart, God will make me whole as I was meant to be.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can open my eyes to the truth God is trying to show me.

When do I turn a blind eye to sin that I don't want to acknowledge?

How am I living a shallow, fruitless light because I'm living for me instead of God?        

No comments:

Post a Comment