The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Alive to God!

"In the same way,
count yourselves dead to sin
but alive to God in Christ Jesus.
Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body
so that you obey its evil desires.
Do not offer the parts of your body to sin,
as instruments of wickedness,
but rather offer yourselves to God,
as those who have been brought from death to life;
and offer the parts of your body to him 
as instruments of righteousness.
For sin shall not be your master,
because you are not under law,
but under grace."
Romans 6:11-14



My family and I recently watched a movie about a young Amish woman who was shunned by her family and community for not adhering to their strict way of life by relinquishing her love for music.  Consequently, she was treated as if she were dead; like she didn't even exist.  

In a similar way, I can consider myself dead to sin, turning my back on my naturally sinful way of thinking, my desires that run counter to God's ways, and the destructive nature of my mouth.  Just as the Amish girl's family ignored her attempts to communicate and even expected her to eat at a separate table, my sinful nature has been crucified on the cross with Jesus, rendering it powerless against His blood.

Simply ignoring sinful urges, however, is not enough.  God has given us an arsenal powered by the blood of Jesus which covers us and makes us appear white as snow.  (1 Corinthians 15:57Isaiah 1:18)

Don't Let Sin Reign

I once attempted to negotiate one of those large corn mazes in Montana.  After spending a couple of hours, we feared being lost forever in this oblivion of twists and turns.  Right when I thought we had made it out, I would encounter another switchback that led away from the finish line and freedom.  Thankfully, there were "escape gates" located throughout the labyrinth, providing a way out for those whose frustration level had peaked.

While my pride did not relish the thought of taking the easy way out of that challenge, I do need to remember that God has similarly provided an escape hatch for the inevitable times of temptation.  Even though I'm still faced with sin on a consistent basis, it no longer rules over me.  Instead, I have another option through the grace of God found in faith in Jesus Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:13)

When a co-worker's destructive spirit of criticism goes to work, tempting me to unleash the weapon of my tongue against her, I have the ability to tame the beast and the option of letting Jesus respond lovingly through me.

During times of stress when I am tempted to analyze all the possible options, considering how I will get out of the lousy circumstances in which I find myself, God provides a way to rest in His power and focus my mind on Him.

I am often faced with the lure of a harmful addiction or habit, whether it be smoking, swearing or eating.  Whatever it is, this habit seems to control me in a way that leaves me feeling helpless.  Thankfully, through faith in Jesus, I now have the power to defeat it's hold on me.  I have the ability to resist, turning my back on the desires of my flesh.

Jesus has given me the ability to deny my fleshly desires by providing a way out of temptation.

Offer Myself to God

Our porch was covered with kids after school that day.  One of the little girls sat down on the steps to eat her sandwich, but as she talked to her friends, our dog casually walked up and gently snatched the snack from her hand.  She was so engrossed in her conversation she didn't notice the thief gobbling up her bread and bologna until it was too late.  

Our dog recognized an easy target when he saw it and didn't waste any time in taking advantage of his victim's vulnerability.  Likewise, Satan knows my weaknesses and won't hesitate to tempt me in areas where I'm still in control instead of God.

Television shows can easily slip subject matter into my home that is an affront to God.  As I watch, my sensitivity to sin begins to wane and my mind conforms to the way the world thinks.  Soon, sex outside of marriage becomes a "mistake" or inevitable instead of a sin against God's holy temple. (Ephesians 4:19, 1 Corinthians 6:18-20)

When I'm focused more on my own reputation than I am on God's will, I easily get sucked into activities or even career fields that are outside of God's blueprint for my life.  As I move farther and farther away from His Sovereign plan, I use more of my own common sense and less of His wisdom to guide my footsteps.  Soon, I am the master of my life instead of Jesus. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I encounter all kinds of personalities on a daily basis.  Some people are easy to love, but others just get under my skin.  It seems they want to make me mad and make it their life's work to get a rise out of me!  As long as I'm only considering my own point of view, however, I will never see these "irritants" as God sees them: humans made in His own image. (Genesis 9:6)

If I am to stand up against the sinful temptations Satan sends my way, I will need to offer myself to God.  As Oswald Chambers said, "Guard jealously your relationship to God.  Jesus prayed, 'that they may be one, even as we are one'--nothing between.  Keep all the life perennially open to Jesus Christ, don't pretend with Him."

My relationship with God hinges only on my willingness to turn myself over to Him for His purposes.  Anytime my own pleasure, plans or rights takes precedence over God's, then my fellowship with Him is broken and I am vulnerable to attack from the Evil One.

Giving my relationship with God a top priority means I will yield to Him in all my ways.

Instrument of Righteousness

She'd make a great Christian, I thought to myself as I considered the outgoing woman who befriended everyone she saw.  Her infectious spirit, in my opinion, made her a perfect candidate for evangelism.  Unfortunately, she did not see her need for Jesus during the time I knew her.

It's easy for me to think God uses those who are naturally well-equipped to carry out His mission.  In reality, He equips those He calls instead of choosing only those who are already prepared.  When I choose to dedicate my feeble body to be used by God, He transforms what once was an outlet for sin into an instrument of righteousness.

What used to be a penchant for angry outbursts, in God's hands becomes a passion that burns red-hot for Him.

The struggle to keep fear from ruling my heart, once placed in the God's control, becomes a means of compassion to those who are lost.

When lust rules my mind so I feel I can't resist, but when I allow God to rule instead, I find a new-found sense of mercy in its place.

Instead of my flesh gratifying itself, I can dedicate these struggles to God to be used by Him.


As one who follows Jesus, I am considered to be free from the power of sin in my life.  Unfortunately, it is all too easy to turn back to my natural way of living.  When I don't give sin the opportunity to rule my life and instead offer myself to God, I will find those wretched members prone to sin becoming amazing instruments of righteousness.  It is then that I really discover what it means to be alive to God!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will realize the power Jesus has given me against sin.

How do I live with sin instead of letting Jesus defeat it?

When am I choosing my natural ways, thus blocking the openness that could exist between God and I through faith in Jesus?

No comments:

Post a Comment