The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Obedience from Faith

"Through him and for his name's sake,
we received grace and apostleship
to call people from among all the Gentiles
to the obedience that comes from faith."
Romans 1:5



She stood by herself off to the side of the multitudes milling around in the church foyer.  It's never easy being the new person, I thought as I approached her with a smile on my face.  "Hi, I don't think we've met; I'm Cindy.  I'm glad to see you here this morning."  From there we enjoyed a nice conversation.  She began asking questions about  the programs the church offers to those who are going through hard times.  I learned she had just moved south from New York and was living with her mother in a small apartment.  I told her I'd check into it and get back to her. 

Over the next few weeks I saw my new friend on Sundays, and got to know her and her daughter.  My family and I showed her and her family the love of Christ in some practical ways by providing financial support, job search assistance and friendship.  Then came the unexpected phone call.  "We lost our apartment and have nowhere to live."  We prayed about it and suggested a Christian women's shelter where she could get some help finding a job and getting back on her feet.

That was when I learned the cold, hard truth:  My husband and I had been used by this woman who had no intention of doing anything constructive for herself.  Instead, she wanted only to receive.  After only a few days, she had been ejected from the shelter where she had refused to contribute to the running of the home and continually got into fights with the staff.  In short, she thought she deserved a free ride.

Once I told her that we could no longer support her if she was unwilling to help herself, the phone calls ceased.  We never heard from her again.

This woman used my friendship only for what she could get out of it.  It is easy to use Jesus in the same way, only identifying myself with Him for what I can get out of the relationship: eternal life, abundant life, peace, a sense of purpose.  

Jesus, however, said that if I truly love Him, I will do as He commands.  (John 14:15)  This kind of love comes from Him. (1 John 4:19)  These words of Jesus seem to be not so much a command as a sign that the faith that comes from Him dwells within me. (2 John 1:6)  If His faith has been given to me, then I am enabled to obey Him.  

Obedience, then, is the evidence of the faith that is created and cultivated by Christ.  (Hebrews 12:2)

Gift

My husband and I once received a gift card to a fancy steakhouse where we would otherwise never have dined.  It supplied us with a lovely experience that came completely free of charge; we enjoyed the fruits of someone else's labor.  

In a similar way, the faith that allows me to place my trust in Jesus as my Savior is a gift offered by the grace of God.  Due to the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross as He took the penalty for my sin, God is able to offer salvation.  In this way His sense of justice is fulfilled, allowing His grace and mercy to extend toward me as a gift of eternal life.  Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins. (Hebrews 9:22)

Even more astounding is the fact that all good things come from God, even the very faith that awakens me to my need for Jesus.  Faith is a gift, and this ability to trust God comes from God!  (Ephesians 2:8-9)  Once I possess this faith, it drives me toward obedience to God.  I cannot obey Him without faith, and I have no faith without God.  It all comes back to the sovereignty of our mighty God.

Obedience to the teachings of Jesus is impossible without the faith that comes from Him.

Necessary

"Why am I here?"  It's the question of the ages, asked by people of all generations, walks of life and cultures.  It is our basic need to know why we exist.

Getting to know God personally, it becomes clear that God is not here for me, but rather I am here for God.  It is my purpose, then, to live in relationship with Him and bring glory to His name as I seek Him with all of my heart.  (Romans 11:36, Jeremiah 29:13)

As I walk with the Spirit of God in my daily life, He shows me things I need to change, areas in which I must submit and attitudes I must surrender.  This sanctifying work is also part of my purpose.  (1 Peter 1:2)  Obedience to His leading also brings reward as I wholeheartedly seek to live God's way, but the bottom line remains that obedience is necessary to pleasing God.  Without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6), but if the faith is a gift from God, then wouldn't everyone please God who accepted Christ as Lord and Savior?

Maybe the deeper message is that faith is not true and real if it doesn't result in action.  (James 2:17)  I can say I trust God, but until I prove it by doing what He is asking of me, it is not real.  Faith is necessary both to be able to obey God, and in turn, to please Him.

It reminds me of the parable Jesus told of the two sons who were both sent to work in the vineyard.  Once said, "I'll go," but then he changed his mind and didn't work.  The other responded to his father's request with, "No, I won't work today," but ended up going anyway, putting in a full days' work.  It is the son who actually did what his father asked that obeyed, not the one who only said the right thing. (Matthew 21:28-32)

In the same way, it is my actions that prove my faith, and obedience is the vehicle in which God tests this faith.

Obedience is necessary as a part of my purpose, to bring reward and to please my Father.

Choice

All this talk of free gifts, grace, love and mercy can make me think I'm good to go as long as I stick with Jesus.  Unfortunately, that is not the case.  Just as the adulterous woman was not condemned by Jesus yet commanded to, "Go now and leave your life of sin," (John 8:11) I also have a choice to make.

Either I can live according to what I want to do, what I like to do and what makes me most comfortable and happy, or I can live by what God's Spirit is leading me to do.    The choice is mine.  One way leads to death, the other to life. (Romans 8:12-13) I am equipped to obey by the faith God gives me, but it is still my decision to use it or not.

Even Jesus had a choice to make when it came to dying on the cross.  He was not forced to die by a tyrant-God.  Instead, as God's Son, it was His desire to please God perfectly in His obedience.  As a result, Jesus humbled Himself to the point of dying out of compliance to His Father's will.  (Philippians 2:8)

For me, it's kind of like exercise.  I possess all the muscles, body parts and bodily functions needed to walk a mile, but until I actually do it, I will not reap the benefits.  I must decide to use what God has given me to keep what He has given to me strong and healthy.  If I let it slide, my muscles atrophy, my body parts may show signs of disease and my bodily functions will probably cease to work as efficiently.  If I don't use it, I will lose it, so to speak.

In the same way my faith is there for the taking.  Unless I decide to use it, however, it will sit languishing on the sidelines, kind of like the treadmill that's used as a clothes rack.  When I do put my faith into action, though, it will grow stronger and able to take me to a higher level of trusting God.  It's up to me whether or not I use the faith God has given to me by obeying Him.

I can start by paying attention to the conviction of God's Spirit upon my heart.  When I sense Him leading me away from gossip, obedience will turn my body in compliance.  When I hear His still small voice say to reach out to the hurting soul, an obedient choice is to ignore the voice of discouragement and do as He says.  When I'm about to lash out at my husband but I feel a gentle tug on my tongue, my submission will end in obedience.

Obedience is the result of me exercising my faith.


I have received the gift of salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.  Even more astounding is the realization that the obedience that pleases God is a gift that comes through the faith bestowed upon me from God, is necessary as His child, and is a choice I make.  The obedience that comes from faith is a sign that I belong to Jesus.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will pay attention when God leads me away from where I naturally want to go.

When do I think I'm unable to obey God even though I have been freely given His faith?

How am I choosing my flesh over the guidance of His Spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment