The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A Miracle Unlike Any Other

"You see, at just the right time,
when we were still powerless,
Christ dies for the ungodly.
Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man,
though for a good man someone might possible dare to die.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.
Since we have now been justified by his blood,
how much more shall we be saved
 from God's wrath through him!
For if, when we were God's enemies,
we were reconciled,
Shall we be saved through his life!
Not only is this so,
but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
through whom we have now received reconciliation."
Romans 5:6-11



I recently read a story about two soldiers who were fighting on opposite sides during the Vietnam War.  On April 16, 1972, Dan Cherry, an American pilot, shot down a North Vietnamese MiG fighter piloted by Hong My Nguyen.  After the war, Cherry often wondered about the man whom he shot down.  Finally, nearly 36 years later, the two men met and became fast friends.  

As a sinner who violates God's perfect standard, I am considered to be His enemy even more than these two soldiers were.  He created me to live in relationship with Him, but my sin forms a chasm between He and I, kind of like the Grand Canyon.  Consequently, I am unlike the two men in the above story because I cannot approach God to seek friendship based on my own worthiness.  I am powerless to cross the canyon existing between a Holy God and a woman of iniquity.

Thankfully, this is not the end of the story.  Just as two enemy soldiers became friends, my relationship with God has been miraculously reconciled because of God's great love for me.  According to His merciful, gracious and loving character, I am saved for Him through the sacrifice Jesus Christ made on the cross where He bore the punishment for my sins.   If I pay attention, this miracle of reconciliation will change the way I live my life.

I am Powerless

Aron Ralston spent five days and eight hours trapped in a slot canyon the width of his shoulders when he had dislodged an 800-pound boulder, setting in motion events that would radically change his life.  As he descended, the rock fell with him, ultimately pinning his arm against the red sandstone wall of what now seemed like his coffin.  He was powerless to save himself as he pondered his options at the bottom of this narrow ravine located in the remote area of Canyonlands National Park in Utah.

Ralston ended up cutting off his own arm with a dull multi-purpose tool and climbing out the canyon where he was rescued by a vacationing family and rescuers who whisked him away to the hospital, ultimately saving his life.  Even though the near-death outdoorsman was able to get himself out of the tight spot in which he found himself, he wouldn't have survived without help from others.

I, too, am powerless to save myself from the death my sins earn.  (Romans 5:6)   Not only this, but I am completely incapable of living a holy life in my own power.  (Romans 7:21-25)  When I accept my own powerlessness, I can begin to live in the security of God's love for me.  He loves me because of His character, not because I am lovable.  If I take this thought to its natural conclusion, I find that I therefore cannot lose His love because of my own character flaws, faults or failures.

This means that I can let go of past sin, placing it firmly on the cross where it is forever cast away from me. (Psalm 103:12)  Instead of thinking of myself as a loser who is unworthy of love, I can thirstily drink in the love that God pours into me, knowing it is not based on my character.  

It also means I can live in the security of God's character because He will never change and His love is unfailing.  (James 1:17, Isaiah 54:10)  When I feel unlovable because of all my disappointments and failures, I can embrace the truth that God is love and it is impossible for Him not to love me! (1 John 4:8)

Because of the miracle of reconciliation found through Jesus Christ my Lord, I can live in the security of His love, because of His unchanging character.

God's Love is Powerful

Tears streamed down her face as she pondered the difficulty of her situation.  She couldn't think of one friend she could call on since moving to live with her daughter and family.  There was always tension in the home, her beloved dog of 7 years and constant companion recently died, and her life seemed without purpose.  Honestly, all she could think about was dying so that she could join her friends in heaven.  What was there to live for in this wretched life?

There is more to my life as a believer than knowing that I am saved from Hell and given the gift of eternal life.  Jesus' death on the cross accomplished so much more!  He came to give me an abundant life in the here and now.  (John 10:10)

It is easy to get bogged down by all the cares of this world.  I have to admit, life can be hard, becoming unbearable at times as the pain overwhelms.  I can never lose sight of my God, however, whose love is powerful enough to purify the most wretched of sinners.  (Malachi 3:3-4)  His love is also mighty enough to take the most wicked of men and make him a servant.

Consider Saul, a man zealous for spilling the blood of Christians.  He made it his life's work to persecute those who called themselves followers of "The Way," in reference to Christ's identity as the way, the truth and the life. (John 14:6)

Suddenly, Saul found himself face to face with Jesus, the One whom he had targeted.  Quickly, the power of God's love for Saul transformed his life's work from running counter to Jesus' mission to a purpose where he was working in Christs' favor as one of His most fervent apostles. (Acts 9:1-16)  God then changed Saul's name to Paul.

This kind of power can give me hope to know there is nothing His love cannot accomplish.  Is there a stronghold of sin I seem to be unable to break through?  The power of God can destroy it and make it a testimony to His love.

Is there a broken relationship in my life that seems impossible to repair?  The power of God can mend even the most painful wounds, binding people together with the bond of His love.

Is there a dream God once gave me that seems like it will never come true?  The power of God will finish what He started in my heart as I rest in His arms of love. (Philippians 1:6)

Because of the miracle of reconciliation found through Jesus Christ my Lord, I can live with hope in what His love can accomplish in my life.

Continual Intercession

Sirens set off attacks of sheer panic.  Conflict of any kind sent her running to safety.  Confrontation created anxiety that took hours to relieve.  The little girl's early years of living in an abusive home created in her a spirit of fear.

Even though my reaction may not be as severe, I do harbor a certain amount of trepidation regarding how God views my life.  Is He angry?  Do I disappoint Him?  Is He ready to give up on me?

Thankfully, God's love found through faith in Jesus never gives up! (1 Corinthians 13:8)  Jesus is continually sticking His neck out for me, coming between me and the wrath of God my sins deserve. (Hebrews 7:25)  There is never a time when I am not covered by His protective blood.

This means when I think those sinful thoughts, my Warrior shields me from the blows of a Just God.  When things don't go my way and I lose my temper, the blood of Jesus protects me from what I deserve and instead gives me forgiveness and another chance to try again.  When doubt holds me back from obeying God's call, Jesus takes the stand in my defense before the righteous Judge.

The intercession of Jesus is continual, occurring tirelessly in order to protect me from the wrath of God.  God is loving, but His just nature hates sin.  It is only through Jesus, who stands as my high priest, that I can approach the throne of grace with confidence. (Hebrews 4:14-16)

Because of this consistent work of the blood of Jesus to defend me against the judgment my sins deserve, I can live without fear of God's wrath.  When I truly understand the extent to which Jesus covers my sin, I can live without dread or apprehension of punishment of any kind.  (Hebrews 4:14-16)

Because of the miracle of reconciliation found through Jesus Christ my Lord, His love enables me to live without fear.


If my salvation or justification were based on me or my worthiness, I would be lost.  Because it is found in the unchanging nature of God, however, I am saved.  Through faith in Jesus, I can live in the security of His love, with the hope of all His love can accomplish and without apprehension of any kind.  My reconciliation to God is a miracle unlike any other.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can live with the security that comes from being His child.

When do I feel hopeless instead of keeping in mind the power of God that flows through me?

When do I sometimes feel insecure in my salvation?

No comments:

Post a Comment