The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, January 31, 2014

New Life

"'I am the gate;
whoever enters through me will be saved.
They will come in and go out,
and find pasture.
The thief comes only to steal
and kill
and destroy;
I have come that they may have life,
and have it to the full."
John 10:9-10

I have missed meeting with you here on Writings on the Doorframe where we dig through God's precious and life-giving Word together.  You see, I have been on an incredible journey of life and love over the past couple of weeks.  Today, it is time to tell the story.

All across the land of the free, there are people who are living in bondage.  This is not a spiritual bondage, although it does touch them spiritually.  It is not an emotional bondage even though their emotions are moved.  Instead, this is a physical form of slavery in which the person is bound to a machine; a contraption that ultimately keeps them alive but also dictates their weekly schedule and restricts their ability to live a life that most of us take for granted.  This slave master is kidney failure, and the shackles are known as dialysis.

While this process of filtering one's blood and essentially doing the job of the kidney by removing waste, salt and extra water, maintaining safe levels of certain chemicals, and helping to control blood pressure does save the patient's life, it is far from flexible.  In order to keep healthy, the patient must endure these four-hour treatments three times a week as well as restrict fluid intake and maintain a healthy diet that restricts salt, potassium and phosphorus.  All in all, the life of someone with kidney failure is not easy.

Journey

Almost a year ago, I began a journey that would lead me through a roller coaster of emotions, but would ultimately give me a greater vision of God's sovereignty and His amazing plan for each of our lives.  It was last year that I first learned that my neighbor, Adrian, was seeking a living donor.  He had been diagnosed with kidney failure and began dialysis about a year-and-a-half before.  As soon as the news of the search came to my attention, I knew in my heart that God wanted me to donate my kidney to him.

Since I was a little girl, I possessed this hidden desire to donate an organ.  I couldn't explain it, and didn't share it with another soul, but I wanted to help someone out in this way.  Once I heard about the plight of this husband of a giving wife and father of two special girls who had grown up in our afterschool program, I began the process to donate my kidney.

After undergoing rigorous testing and being approved as a match for Adrian, we were scheduled for surgery in August.  This, however, proved to be a false start when God suddenly pulled the plug at the last minute due to an antibody Adrian developed toward my blood.  After many tears and prayers, my neighbor and I entered into a kidney exchange program through the MUSC Transplant Center.  

Within a few months, a match was found for my neighbor, and one for me as well.  As part of this complicated network, nine people in all were able to receive new life as part of the chain to which Adrian and I were connected.  My faith grew as I witnessed the better plan God had unveiled.

As a result, I have been recovering from surgery for the past few weeks and have been given a glimpse into the important work many dedicated people do to help save the lives of many every day.  I was also struck by the magnitude of the sacrifice Jesus Christ made to give me new life.  When He gave His life on the cross, suffering for hours under the brutal treatment of Roman soldiers whose hearts had grown cold and were accustomed to inflicting pain, He willingly gave of Himself so that I could live.  He exchanged His perfect life for my sinful one.  He took the punishment I earned through my sin so that I could live in relationship with my heavenly Father forever.  This Truth struck me in a fresh way after the surgery.

Sacrifice

As I lay in the hospital bed the first night after surgery, the pain set in.  My attentive nurse had just administered some medication and left me in peace for a time.  As I lay in the dark, listening to my dear husband's even breathing as he slept on the couch beside me, I waited for the pain to subside.  Clutching my pillow, I realized that I'd been wounded in a similar way as had my Savior.  

Instead of suffering alone, however, I'd been meticulously cared for by my husband as well as the medical staff.  My wounds were cleaned and closed, my pain was controlled and I was given every comfort possible to promote my healing.

Jesus, on the other hand, was left to suffer alone as He struggle to breathe while hanging on the cross.  The thousands of lacerations, puncture wounds and abrasions were left to bleed openly.  Every movement increased His pain until He must have nearly fainted from the intensity of it all.  Still, He chose to enter into such an act of sacrifice so that I could live.  So that you could live.  So that all who believe in His precious Name would be saved. (Romans 10:9)

While I did choose to sacrifice my kidney so another may live, it is not this act of surrender and obedience that really matters in the end.  The sacrifice that truly makes a difference in the life of any man or woman is the one that Jesus made as He died a sinner's death.  In so doing, He made a way for each of us to enjoy a full, rich life as we live in relationship with Him.  He also made a way for us to dwell in His presence forever in the eternal home which He is currently preparing for us.  (John 14:2)

Bought

I have met quite a few amazing people over the past year.  Each is dedicated to making a difference in the lives of those who are living in the bondage of kidney failure.  None, however, are as dedicated as is Christ to freeing us from the shackles that hold us to our sin nature.  I see these two, kidney donation and Jesus sacrificing His life, as one and the same in many ways.  Both give new life.  Both involve the sacrifice of one for the good of another.  Both are a kind of exchange.

Therefore, as I went through this process, it was always the spiritual new life that was more important to me.  The physical life that would come through the new kidney was merely an illustration of the new spiritual life that I hoped would come as a result.  


Here's my kidney after it was removed from my body and before it was shipped to it's new owner.


I wanted to send this message to the recipient who lives on the other side of the country.


Here is Sara preparing my kidney for transport.  She is my precious kidney coordinator who works hard to hammer out all the details involved with pulling off a successful kidney transplant.  She is a gem!


Here we are the day after surgery: Adrian, Sara and I.


I look forward to meeting with you here at Writings on the Doorframe in the days to come.  It is my hope that what I have shared of my experience touches you in a powerful way as you realize the amazing sacrifice Jesus made so that you can enjoy new life.  This abundant life is similar to what Adrian and countless others are now tasting as they enjoy the benefits paid for by another.   As you walk through each day, taking each breathe in wonder with what God has graciously given to you, may you live with abandon to the Giver of New life:  Jesus Christ our Lord!  


2 comments:

  1. It has been a powerful journey to watch God work in ways I never thought possible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete