The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Too Little, Too Late

Early the next morning they set out for the highest point
in the hill country, saying,
'Now we are ready to go up to the land the LORD promised.
Surely we have sinned!'"
Numbers 14:40



The land promised to them by God was filled with good things; grapes larger than they could ever imagine, luscious pomegranates, scrumptious figs.  All in all, it was just as God had said:  It was a land flowing with milk and honey.  

Unfortunately, it was also a land occupied by imposing giants, powerful tribes of threatening people and fortified cities.  In light of the bad news, the Israelites chose to ignore the good news and forget the power of the Almighty, His constant presence and faithful deliverance.  They chose to grumble against Moses and Aaron, blaming them for leading them to this place where they would surely die.  (Numbers 13-14)

The Israelites saw the error of their ways and attempted to go to this land promised to them by their faithful God.  They decided it would be better for them to obey later rather than never.  God, however, had already struck down the men who had come back with the bad report and declared that the rest of the unfaithful, wicked community would never set foot in the promised land. (Numbers 14:36-38)  Their show of faith was too little and came too late.

How often I do the same.  I know God wants me to trust Him, yet the cares of this world get in the way.  How can I avoid stubbornly taking advantage of God's grace by refusing to accept the good He has for me now, even if that good seems to be wrapped up in a package of suffering, hard times and difficulty?

Stop Complaining

Murphy's Law is a 20th Century saying that states simply, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong."  This pessimistic point-of-view often frequented my lips as I navigated life with little faith and a worldly mindset.  As I grew closer to God, however, He showed me that my focus on the negative was a form of complaining.  I completely missed all the good because I concentrated so much on the bad.

It is easy to get caught up in a cycle of grumbling.  I live in a fallen world that is filled with difficulties and hard times.  When I choose to see only the negative, however, I am completely missing all the good that God has placed all around me.

I fall sick and I wonder if I'll ever catch a break, thinking only about the work I'll miss or the ministries I'll let down in my absence.  Meanwhile, I'm missing the point that God is forcing me to slow down and take some time to rest from my hectic schedule.  Instead of rejoicing in the fact that I have a Father who looks out for my welfare, I whine and moan about my so-called bad luck.

Other times I may struggle with paying the bills, feeling sorry for myself that I work so hard but can barely eke out a living.  Meanwhile, I'm missing the faith-building opportunity to trust my Father who knows my needs and provides in ways that reveals His power and sovereignty.  (Matthew 6:32-33)  Instead of praising God for His good provision, I object to living in a constant state of strain.

Then there are the times I seem to be living in a perpetual state of grieving as I lose one loved one after another.  I wonder what God has against me that He would take so many away at once.  Meanwhile, I'm missing the chance to experience the comfort only the Father of compassion can give as I rest in His loving arms.  (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)  Instead of soaking in His grace and mercy so that I can later use it to comfort others who are suffering, I complain about my bad state of affairs.

True faith sees the good that comes from God mixed in with all the bad.

Stop Assuming

She had never seen things happen this way.  The angel told her she would bear a child, but she had never been with a man.  It would have been easy for Mary to doubt the angel Gabriel's message based on her past experience and knowledge of how things usually work.  Instead, she believed the Word sent straight from God and trusted that everything would happen as the angel had said it would.  (Luke 1:26-38)

I often jump to conclusions, assuming if something seems impossible, then it won't happen.  If the doctor says there is no hope, I tend to agree with him, forgetting that I worship a God of the impossible.  (Matthew 6:26)  

If I watch my child travel down a road headed away from the Lord, I may think he's never coming back, forgetting that I worship a God who specializes in changing hearts.  (Ezekiel 36:26)  

If I lose my dream job, it's hard for me to imagine there could be anything better, forgetting that I worship a God who holds the blueprint of my life in His hands.  (Jeremiah 29:11-14)

True faith sees a way where there seems to be none.

Stop Fearing

She lived in a constant state of fear, worrying about the safety of her children, fretting over the darkness of this world, refusing to submit to God's calling to use her in a way that took her out of her comfort zone.  Fear paralyzed this woman to the point where God no longer ruled her life.

I live in a world with much to fear.  Terrorists seek to destroy freedom-loving people everywhere.  Killers hunt for their next victim.  Rapists stalk unsuspecting women.  Financial ruin threatens my sense of security.  If I'm not careful, fear can hamper my faith, rendering me useless in God's kingdom.

Instead, I can choose to believe that if God is for me, who could be against me? (Romans 8:31) Many could try to thwart my efforts, or steal my peace, or stand in my way, but God is bigger than all.  Even my Enemy whose mission is to steal, kill and destroy has no power against the One who created him out of nothing.  (John 10:10)

We were not created to live in fear.  (Romans 8:14-15)  Instead, we were made to walk with our Shepherd who loves us and will never let us come to ruin.  (Psalm 23, Psalm 55:22)  While Satan loves it when I am paralyzed by fear, God gave me a spirit of power, love and self-discipline to propel me through the darkness.  (2 Timothy 1:7)  I must choose to walk in this strength, however;  it does not come naturally to my weak and lowly flesh to turn away from the temptation to fear.

True faith sees only God's power and sovereignty in the midst of a world filled with frightening possibilities.


The Israelites were standing on the cusp of the Promised Land, so close to grabbing hold of the good things God had stored up for His people.  Instead, they chose to doubt, complaining and grumbling about the hardship of the path God had chosen for them.  When they finally did agree to comply, their feeble attempts to obey after the fact were too little, too late.  To avoid falling into this same trap, I must be careful to walk by faith, looking for the good mixed in with the bad, believing there is a way when circumstances seem impossible to navigate, and seeing only the hand of my mighty God in the midst of a dark and scary world.  In these ways, I will walk by faith not by sight, and please my Father who is always by my side.  


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to turn away from fear.

When do I make it a habit to live in a state of ingratitude by feeling sorry for myself?

How am I revealing my lack of faith by losing hope too soon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment