The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Poisonous Root

"Make sure there is no man or woman,
clan or tribe among you today
whose heart turns away from the LORD our God
to go and worship the gods of those nations;
make sure there is no root among you that produces
such bitter poison.
When such a person hears the words of this oath
and they invoke a blessing on themselves,
thinking, 'I will be safe,
even though I persist in going my own way,'
they will bring disaster on the watered land
as well as the dry."



It seems harsh.  The heart of God is relationship, so when sin damages a bond between members of the body of Christ, I am to lovingly pursue reconciliation.  The process laid out in Matthew 18:15-20 requires community involvement.  There is always the risk that my thinking is selfish so if I seek the godly counsel of others and they agree, I avoid the risk of pursuing my own agenda.  There is also the risk that I form a mob to come against my brother or sister so my heart must be bent on reconciliation, not retribution or revenge. 

If all the required steps have been taken and still there is no agreement, then the offending child of God must be treated as an outsider, removed from the fellowship of His people.  Why would God require such action when He is a God who goes after the lost sheep?

The answer is found in today's passage.  While God is merciful and gracious, He is also holy.  His concern is for the sanctity of His people and He knows how easy it is for us to go astray.  We, like sheep, tend to wander, especially if those around us are compromising  (Isaiah 53:6).  Consequently, God warned His people in today's passage of the prideful heart that thinks he's safe even in his disobedience and defiance.  This line of thinking pollutes the holiness of God's people and puts the whole Body at risk of turning away from the Lord and His ways.

What poisonous root do I tolerate in my life?

Sin

A mistake.
A misstep.
A blunder.
An error.
It's easy to minimize sin, labeling it as something other than what it is: defiance toward holy God and His holy ways.  I often do this when I don't want to face the facts.  Sin is destructive and dangerous.  When I allow an area of sin to remain in my life, I am putting my own desires above God's.  I am placing my own pleasure higher than God's plan for my life.  I am making a mockery of the sacrifice Jesus became on the cross.

When I downplay the sin of which God has convicted my heart, it is as if I am spitting in the face of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  He bore the wrath of His Father, an unimaginable nightmare of the worst kind, to conquer sin for His people.  Why should I then invite it in, growing comfortable with the very thing that requires death as a punishment?

If I am to remove such a poisonous root in my own life, I must be careful to not tolerate sin.  When God opens my eyes to my tendency to gossip, for example, and I sense His gentle nudge as I begin to share with a friend a tasty morsel disguised as a prayer update, I would be wise to stop the flow of words immediately.  

Or if God reveals my issue with fudging the truth to avoid conflict and I'm on the verge of using the destructive tactic once again, I would be wise to instead speak the truth in love, pointing all involved in the disagreement to the common ground of the Gospel (Ephesians 4:15).

Or for the time when God makes clear my inclination to indulge in worldly entertainment that dishonors His holy name and desensitizes my heart, I would be wise to take every step necessary to avoid such temptations.

I am at risk of cultivating a poisonous root that could infect the Body of Christ when I become comfortable with sin in my life.

Self-Sufficiency

When my daughters were young, my goal for them was that they would become self-sufficient and independent.  I envisioned them going out into the world and earning success in whatever field they pursued.  As they grew, however, my relationship with God matured and I learned more about Him and His ways.  

Soon I discovered that He doesn't want me to rely on my own strength at all, nor does He care for me to go after selfish pursuits.  Instead, His desire is for me to be dependent upon Him for all my needs and to pursue righteousness and His kingdom. Boy, did I have it backwards (Matthew 6:33, 2 Timothy 2:22, 2 Corinthians 12:9-10)!

I live in a world that preaches self-sufficiency.  I am bombarded with messages that tell me to overcome, that I can do whatever I put my mind to, and that I can pull myself up by my own bootstraps.  Basically, I'm told that I have what it takes inside of me to reach the stars.

In reality, there is nothing good within me and relying on myself is kind of like the blind leading the blind.  If I really want to succeed in life, then, I will need to seek God with all of my heart, waiting on Him and His provision (Jeremiah 29:11-13, Isaiah 40:31). He holds the key to unlock the blueprint for my life, so I will never find a sense of purpose until I come into a relationship with Him, letting Him take the lead.

That means I will need to diligently turn away from my own desire to be the master of my own destiny and turn toward my true Master. I will need to fight the urge to make things happen and instead wait on His perfect timing. I will need to stop looking for escape routes and solutions and start fixing my eyes on Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-2).

I am at risk of cultivating a poisonous root that could infect the Body of Christ when I rely on my own strength and understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Sense

I ignored the advice offered by several godly people because it didn't make sense to me.  After a couple of years, a friend spoke the same wisdom but this time I paid attention because she also provided additional enlightenment.  I never recognized the value of the advice until it made sense to me.

I struggle with obeying without understanding.  If something doesn't make sense to me, I tend to balk.  This is a problem when it comes to my relationship with God.  I'm kind of like the African impala who has an innate ability to jump great heights, but only if it can see where his feet will land.  If I only do what makes sense to me, I miss out on many of the blessings that come with obeying a God whose ways are unfathomable (Isaiah 55:8-9).

It takes faith to blindly go where God is leading.  In fact, I would even say this is the definition of faith; stepping forward without knowing where the path will lead me. Hebrews 11:1 gives a great description of faith.  "Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see" (NLT).

To boldly follow God's lead when He calls me to take a risk means I must believe He knows what He's doing even when I can't see a foot in front of me.  Other times He may inspire me to go beyond my own natural abilities, volunteering for a job that is outside my normal parameters. Then there are the times when He sends a hailstorm of trials and tribulations, challenging me to trust Him to guide me through the onslaught.

I am at risk of cultivating a poisonous root that could infect the Body of Christ when I limit my faith to only what I understand.


Poison is deadly and ruthless, infecting all who come in contact.  When I become comfortable with sin, take on an attitude of self-sufficiency and rely on my own common sense, I am allowing a poisonous root to take hold in my heart.  When I do so, I am placing the Body of Christ at risk.  Therefore, it is in my own best interest as well as that of my brothers and sisters that I guard against such corruption.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my heart open to God, allowing Him to examine every nook and cranny.

When do I stubbornly refuse to turn away from sin?

How am I relying on my own common sense instead of trusting in God's higher ways?



Originally published on February 12, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment