The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Not Yet Revealed

"Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord,
and the word of the Lord
was not yet revealed to him."
1 Samuel 3:7 AMP



Samuel.
The boy awoke with a start.  What was that? he thought. Someone called my name.  It must have been Eli.  The lad had grown used to this new routine, serving the Lord in the temple, learning under the watchful eye of the priest and father-figure.  Eli must have summoned me.  He quickly rushed to his side.  "Yes, sir, what is it that you want?"
"I didn't call you.  Go back to bed!"
That's strange, I was sure I heard him call my name, Samuel thought as he made his way back to his pallet.  As soon as he drifted off to sleep, it happened again.
Samuel.
This time the boy jumped up, making his way to Eli's bed.  "I'm here, sir, you called me?"
"No!  I didn't say a word!  Now settle down and get back in bed."
As his young charge settled back on his cot, he wondered if he was hearing things.  Maybe I was dreaming.  This thought comforted him and he relaxed, closing his eyes.
Samuel.
There it was again!  This time I'm sure I heard my name!  Running to Eli's side, confident he had been summoned.  "Yes, sir, here I am as you called."
Finally, it dawned on Eli.  "It is not I who is calling you, Samuel, but the Lord.  Here is what you must do.  The next time He calls your name, say, 'Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.'"
Samuel could hardly believe his ears.  The Lord our God, maker of heaven and earth, is taking the time to speak to me, his humble servant?  (dramatized from 1 Samuel 3:1-10)

Samuel was young and inexperienced, not familiar with the ways of the Lord.  As a result, he didn't recognize God's voice.  Similarly, I won't be able to distinguish His voice from all the others crying out to me until I know Him for myself.  How can I become so intimate through faith in Jesus Christ with the God of the universe?  Here are three areas on which I can focus.

Fastidious

His attention to detail boggled my mind.  He sure does take his job seriously, I thought as I watched the man work.  It didn't seem that important to me, but my boss during the summer that I worked as his assistant revealed how earnest was his attitude toward his job.  I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks, I sarcastically thought as I refiled some forms I had misplaced.  He doesn't miss a thing!

While performing conscientiously at work may result in a pay raise or a promotion, adopting this attitude in my relationship with God has an even greater reward. When I take God and His Word seriously, my bond with Him will grow stronger.

Take David as an example.  He was not the most upright character, after all.  He was a murderer whose infidelity and conniving ways got him into quite a bit of trouble (2 Samuel 11).  Despite his evil behavior, however, he went down in history as a man after God's own heart.  Why?  God knew that David would do what He asked him to do.

Do I take God as seriously?  It's easy for me to give myself a pass, easing my conscious by telling myself that I'm too busy, or I've got too much on my mind, or that nobody's perfect.  While it does take time and effort that uses my limited brain power to devote myself to doing as God says, my own lack of fitness is not an excuse.  You see, it's not so much about performance but more about my heart.

When I am conscientious regarding God and His ways, I'll pay close attention to what He is speaking to my heart instead of brushing Him aside as unimportant.  Just because I have a million other things to do doesn't mean I can ignore Him as He impresses upon me His will.  The woman who needs a listening ear, or the child who craves a tender touch, or the frustrated worker who could stand a bit of compassion will all benefit from my willingness to be used by a loving God.

When I take God seriously, I'll also find I'm able to do much more than I could ever imagine.  Even though I am weak, God never grows tired and His resources are unlimited(Isaiah 40:28). Therefore, if I love God enough to pay careful attention to His commands, I'll find that it won't take as much energy as I feared to forgive a friend who wounded me deeply, or to respond in love, or to extend an olive branch.

When I am fastidious about paying attention to the details of God's Word, I will discover the thread of grace that runs through each phrase of scripture.  His grace is what saves me, but it also is what enables me to live a holy life as He has called me to live (1 Peter 1:13-16).  With man this is impossible, but when I stay connected to Him as my lifeline, all things are possible (Matthew 3:26). Taking Him at His Word means I'll believe He can use even me, despite my weaknesses.  Then, I will witness His power at work in my heart, transforming me into the likeness of His Son (Philippians 1:6).

Taking on a serious attitude toward God and His ways will result in a closer bond with God as I learn to take Him at His Word.

Compliant

When my daughters were younger, there was one out of the four on whom I could count to always do as I asked.  Therefore, I had to be careful not to take advantage of her compliant attitude, piling more duties onto her responsible shoulders than I did on her sisters.  Her willing spirit made her my go-to girl.

I will find that if I take on the obedient attitude of my daughter when it comes to God, my bond with Him will grow stronger.  God pays more attention to my heart than to my outward appearance, my behavior or the show I tend to put on for others.  Therefore, my softness toward Him is what matters most.  The reason why I do things is what He notices more than what I am doing.  A contentment in my own skin makes more of a difference to God than all the effort I can put into trying to be who I think He wants me to be.

My willingness to respond to God's calling on my life reveals a heart devoted to Him.  My stubborn insistence on doing things my way exposes my focus on my own selfish plan.  The former is an obedient heart, the last a rebellious one.  Only the first will please God (1 Samuel 15:22).

It isn't as bad to let God have His way in my life as I may think it is.  God knows me better than I know myself because He made me for His purposes.  Therefore, if I let Him lead, submitting to His headship, I will experience peace as things flow in the way He meant for them to function.  

Furthermore, God is a good God who can be trusted with my heart.  He has my best intentions in mind and only allows things into my life that will further my growth, improve my character, and mold me into the form He created me to take (Romans 8:28-29, Romans 5:3-5, Isaiah 64:8). Therefore, if I give in to Him as the Master Potter, I will find myself becoming the woman He created me to be.  None of this will happen, however, without my cooperation (Romans 12:2).

Taking on a compliant heart toward God will result in a closer bond with Him as I learn to obey Him without question.

Single-Minded

I watched the vessel dip and bob in the rough water, threatening to capsize as a large wave crashed over it.  The tiny craft was completely at the mercy of the mighty sea, unable to control it's fate.  Even though I knew it was only a toy, I felt sorry for the little boat.

I can be just like that little ship, tossed about by the waves of the bathtub where four rambunctious toddlers played.  When I doubt God's sovereignty, fear the unknown, or hesitate to trust Him fully, I become as unstable as that toy (James 1:5-8). Instead of casting off in faith, I hold back, clinging to my moorings, afraid to enter into the fray.  When I take God at His Word, trusting in Him and Him alone, however, I'll surge forward with confidence, knowing that God will take care of me.

Single-mindedness means I will always point to Jesus as the answer to every problem (John 14:6, Revelation 21:6). It also means I'll put all my eggs into His basket, believing that nothing else will truly satisfy (John 4:14). Having such a strong sense of purpose also means I won't doubt when God is leading me into the unknown, instead walking forward with the assurance that the Lord goes before me (Judges 4:14).

When the doubt creeps in, invading my mind like an unwanted intruder, I can remind myself of the truth of who God is, refocusing my thoughts onto what will please God (Philippians 4:8).  When fear rears its ugly head like a monster bent on destroying the peace of my heart, I can turn my attention away from what scares me and onto my Warrior God (Exodus 14:14). When my own sense of insecurity threatens to be my undoing, I can remind myself Who is my strength (Psalm 46:1-3).

Taking on a single-minded focus on God and His omnipotent power will result in a closer bond with him as I learn to trust Him solely.


Maybe I don't recognize God's voice because I don't know Him as intimately as was His design.  Therefore, if I become fastidious in my study of God and His ways, take on a compliant spirit, and develop a laser-focus with Him as my target, I will find my bond with Him growing stronger.  Then He will be able to reveal Himself more clearly to me, and I will recognize that still, small voice as belonging to Him.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can submit myself to God, letting go of the fear that cripples me and the doubt that holds me back.

When do I feel like I'm being tossed about like that toy ship in a bathtub full of little ones?

How do I rely on other solutions instead of putting all my faith in Jesus as the only answer?


Originally published on April 11, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment