The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Choose Wisely

"'Now since the LORD,
the God of Israel,
has driven the Amorites out before his people Israel,
what right have you to take it over?
Will you not take what your god Chemosh gives you?
Likewise,
whatever the LORD our God has given us,
we will possess.'"
Judges 11:23-24




Choices.  I am faced with dozens of choices each day.  What time will I get up?  How will I spend my time?  What should I wear?  What sounds good for breakfast?  Which route do I take to get to my destination?  While most of the decisions I make are not earth-shattering, each does have a consequence attached to it.  If I decide to hit the snooze on the alarm, I will have less time to get ready.  If I choose short sleeves, I could get cold.  If I pick the wrong route, I might be late.

These consequences may be reversible while others are permanent.  There is a choice I make, however, that is earth-shattering.  The consequences of this decision permeates every part of my life.  Many times, the outcome is unavoidable.  Do I follow God or do I commit to my own way?  Whichever path I choose, I must accept the outcome as the cost of making that decision.

When I walk according to my own flesh, doing what seems best to me and what most satisfies myself, I will produce fruit that reflects my choice.  I can't expect good fruit that comes from God's Spirit when I insist on doing things my way (Galatians 5:16-22).  Therefore, I must choose wisely and accept what follows.

Temptation

The aroma of baking bread drew me in.  I followed the heavenly scent, walking into the kitchen in time to see my daughter removing the loaves from the oven.  "Yum!  That smells so good."  I could not resist sampling a piece, slathering butter on the piping hot slice before savoring the flavor that delivered such satisfaction.  I could not resist the temptation of eating the freshly-baked bread.

It's hard to say "no" to something so good.  I simply don't have what it takes to stand firm against such a sensory assault!  This weakness of mine does not stop with food, however.  My own power of will is no match for the draw of my flesh.  I am sinful by nature and can't help but give in to its lure.  If I choose to follow my flesh, I will not be able to stand against the strong attraction that comes from within.

The apostle Paul put it this way: "For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.  For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out.  For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing" (Romans 7:18-19).  No matter how hard I try, I will not be able to resist temptation when making the decision to follow my own flesh.  There is no way around this consequence.

What hope do I have, then?  Plenty!  Through faith in Jesus Christ, I have the option of following Him and tapping into the power His Spirit supplies to stand firm against temptation.  Instead of giving in, I will have the ability to turn away, taking the way out He so graciously provides (1 Corinthians 10:13).

When I follow my own path I will discover that I am helpless to stand firm against sin, but when walking in the power of the Spirit I will find success in my quest to resist the temptations of my flesh.

Discord

Worry and anxiety filled her heart.  Wherever she went, trouble seemed to follow.  It appeared as if she couldn't go anywhere without getting into an argument with someone or falling into some kind of trouble.  Not surprisingly, it wasn't long before she ended up in jail.  

While I may not have it so badly, I do experience strife and discord when I choose my own way.  If my own reputation and desire to be right is what drives me, I will stand my ground, making sure I get the last word.  Nothing anyone says will make a difference to my way of thinking when I am so set in my ways.  

Likewise, if it is my ambition in life to reach the lofty goals I have set, I will work hard, letting nothing get in my way.  As a result, I will have zero tolerance for people who prevent me from going where I want to go, developing a cold heart to the suffering that is all around me.  My only focus will be on me and my own aspirations.

Similarly,  if controlling every aspect of my life and the lives of those I love is my main concern, I will be consumed with such an overwhelming job.  Never will I be able to rest as I deal with all the details that are constantly coming to light.

Peace will only come when I choose to follow the Shepherd who loves me (Psalm 23). Doing so will bring about harmony that is only the result of being right with God through faith in Jesus Christ (Romans 5:1). When I stop fighting against the work of His Spirit in my life, I will find myself enjoying the peace He has promised (Romans 12:2Psalm 85:8).

When I follow my own path I will experience nothing but strife while choosing to walk with Jesus will bring about peace.

Unchecked Anger

It always seemed to simmer just below the surface.  No matter what the circumstances, I couldn't shake the feeling of annoyance and bitterness that stuck around like a constant companion.  The slightest irritation would frustrate me.  I couldn't get a handle on what I thought was an anger problem.

What I later learned was that my insistence on living my way was tainting my heart.  Even though I wanted to follow Jesus, I stubbornly stuck to my own path, refusing to let go of the fears, doubts and insecurities that plagued me.  Whenever I thought about surrendering to Christ, something like panic would well up in me, encouraging me to set my own course instead of letting God choose for me.

Living in such a way led to a spirit of frustration as I found my life was not lining up with what I read in the Bible.  As  a result, anger was always ready to spring to life.  Jealously often raised its ugly head as I compared myself to others, always falling short.  I became envious of the fruit I saw in the lives of those around me.  Anger defined my life.

As I discovered the freedom found in following Jesus, mustering up the courage to surrender more and more of my life to Him, serenity began to fill my heart.  As I realized the depth of the love that God has for me, I trusted Him more and more each day, coming to appreciate the tender way He leads me through each challenge.  Before long, I noticed the familiar feeling of frustration rarely showing itself, replaced instead by contentment and a sense of security in my identity as God's well-loved child.

When I choose to go my own way I may find myself defined by anger, but surrendering to the way of the King will result in tranquility.


There are consequences for every choice I make; some are good while others are bad.  As a result, I would be wise to choose to follow Jesus, resulting in the production of fruit that will last.  If I insist on my own way, however, I will experience temptation that cannot be resisted, a life defined by discord, and anger that runs unchecked.  Instead of simply doing what comes naturally, then, I must be careful to choose wisely.


As I begin this day it is my prayer I will wisely choose to follow Jesus.

When do I fight against where Jesus tries to lead me?

How could the anger in my life be as a result of my determination to live life by my own rules? 


Originally published on March 25, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment