The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Testing God's Patience

"'Yet you have forsaken Me and served other gods;
therefore I will deliver you no more.
Go, cry to the gods you have chosen;
let them deliver you in your time of distress.'"
Judges 10:13-14 AMP


They were chosen out of all the peoples of the earth to be His treasured possession (Deuteronomy 7:6).  There was nothing about them that set this nation apart from anyone else, nothing that drew the Creator of all things to them in particular.  Instead, it was His purposes that drove Him to make that long-ago promise to their father Abraham, creating a covenant that He could not break (Genesis 12:2-3, Genesis 15).  Still, out of all that God had done for the people of Israel, they tested His patience, failing to stay faithful to Him and turning to other gods.  

Similarly, I did not choose Jesus, but He chose me (John 15:16, John 6:37, John 17:2).  God opened my eyes to my need for Him, my utter helplessness to save myself, and drew me to Jesus, opening my heart to receive Him as my Lord and Savior (John 6:44, Romans 8:28-30). As I did, I experienced His great love, and realized my own wretchedness.  It was then that I understood God's great patience (2 Peter 3:9).

God did not send Jesus to convict me, dooming me to eternal suffering and giving me what I rightfully deserve because of my sins.  Instead, Jesus came to save me, delivering me from what is inevitable and giving me what I cannot earn; eternal life and a restored relationship with a heavenly Father who adopts me into His family as His precious child (John 3:16-17,1 John 3:1). Still, out of all that God has done for me, I test His patience, failing to stay faithful to Him and turning to other gods.

He is patient, waiting for me to come around, giving me a chance to see my sin and repent.  He gives me more chances than I deserve, yet still I test His patience in more ways than I realize.

Take for Granted

I assumed he would always be there.  I noticed all his quirks and irritating ways, pointing out what needed improvement.  Seldom did I thank him for his willingness to work hard, his faithfulness to me and his desire to take care of me.  Instead, I took these good traits for granted, assuming he would always be there for me to kick around.

As the wife of a soldier, there were many times when I would come to the above conclusion after my husband had left on deployment, willingly placing himself in harm's way in order to fulfill His commitment to his country.  I often took for granted the blessings I'd been given until it wasn't there any more.  Then, in his absence, I would suddenly be aware of how good I had it. 

It's easy to take those I love for granted, stubbornly refusing to cherish the moments I have as if they were fleeting.  In the same vein, I also take God for granted, accepting his grace, mercy and love as if I deserve it, failing to realize the sacrifice Jesus made so I could enjoy such unmerited blessings.  

If I did truly appreciate the lengths my Savior went to retrieve me from the depths of Hell, I would more easily put myself into His hands to allow Him to mold me into His image.  Instead, I assume God will forgive me for my own stubbornness, continuing to insist on doing things my way, knowing that He will give me a pass.  After all, I think, I'm only human.  I'm not perfect and can't be expected to never fall.

While it is true that I cannot live a perfect life, my attitude is often wrong.  If I truly understood how my sin offends my holy Father, I would not so easily accept it into my life, knowing that I'll be forgiven by a God who loves me.  If I really realized how much Jesus went through so I could live a life free from guilt, I would not put so much pressure on myself to impress God with my efforts, taking for granted the grace that I seem to have missed.  If the love of God really meant something to me, I would let it flow through me instead of hording it all for myself.

I often test God's patience when I take His precious gifts for granted instead of allowing Him to mold me into the woman He created me to be.

Unfaithful

Even though I had provided plenty of clean, well-maintained litter boxes throughout the house, our elderly cat still insisted on using the corner of the dining room as his personal bathroom.  Whenever I caught him preparing to do his dirty deed, I would run him to the nearest litter box and he would willingly use it for its intended purpose.  Obviously, he knew of its presence and how it was meant to be used,  but he often chose to do it his way instead.

While its easy to feel angry at my cat for choosing such destructive behavior, I am not so different when it comes to God.  He has shown me His goodness, demonstrating His love for me in the way He gave His own Son's life for me while I was His enemy because of my offensive sin, completely ignorant of my need of a Savior (Romans 5:8, 1 John 4:9).  He faithfully provides for my needs, giving me what is necessary while protecting me from harm (Matthew 6:31-33, Psalm 121:7).  His wisdom guides me through the toughest times of my life, making the path I must travel clear to me (Proverbs 3:5-6, James 1:5).

Still, I turn to other sources for answers when times get confusing, preferring that which I can see and hear over God's intervention which takes faith to trust (Proverbs  9:10).  When it seems action is needed, I often prefer to do something rather than to sit back and give God a chance to work, justifying to myself that action is better than passivity (Isaiah 40:31). Even though I know God is the Father of compassion who best knows how to comfort me in times of trouble, I often prefer the tangible touch of a human who I turn to instead of letting God take me through the deep waters (Isaiah 43:1-7, 2 Corinthians 1:3).

God made me for Himself.  When I arrogantly turn to my own ways instead of surrendering myself into His loving hands, I am missing out on all the good things God has saved up for me.  As a Gentleman, God would never force me to submit to Him.  Instead, He lovingly and patiently waits for me to willingly choose His life-giving way over my destructive approach.  For the times when I turn to Him, I truly taste and see that the Lord is good (Psalm 34:8).

I often test God's patience when I turn to other sources to find the good things God has already prepared to give to me (1 Corinthians 2:9).

Refuse to Trust

Love those who persecute me.
Forgive.
Run after kingdom-pursuits, not worldly ones.
Treasure relationships not possessions.
Hold belongings with an open hand.
These are some of the commands of God with which I struggle.  I often go my own way, hating my enemies, holding onto hurts, chasing success, valuing what I've worked so hard to attain more than anything else, and gripping my possessions as if they're what gives me security.  I often refuse to trust God enough to obey Him.

God values my obedience more than anything else I can give Him (1 Samuel 15:22).  Maybe its because when I do what He says, I am proving to Him that I trust Him.  With my actions, I'm saying, "Lord, even though I may not agree with what you are telling me to do and I certainly don't understand Your ways, I trust you enough to do what You say despite my misgivings.  Obeying You is more important than quenching my desire to comprehend or agree.  I want to please You by living life Your way."  Its amazing what a strong message my actions can deliver!

Therefore, when He impresses upon my heart the importance of turning the other cheek when I'm mistreated, I will trust in God's integrity enough to give up my desire to defend myself.  Or, when He calls me to step forward into the darkness, defying my own common sense and longing to stay where things seem safe, I will trust in God's Sovereign plan enough to give up my desire to see what is to come.  Or, when His way requires giving up my worldly possessions, I will trust enough in God's ability to give me more than I can ask or imagine and let go of what seems so valuable.

I often test God's patience when I don't trust Him enough to do as He says.


There is no doubt that God is a patient God.  Time means nothing to Him as He waits for me to fall into step with Him.  Still, I often take His goodness for granted, turn to other sources to receive what He so willingly gives, and refuse to trust Him enough to obey.  In these ways, I test God's patience.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to let Him have His way this day.

When do I refuse His guidance, insisting on doing things my way?

How do I take God for granted?


Originally published on March 24, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment