The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Used

"Now this man Micah had a shrine,
and he made an ephod and some household gods 
and installed one of his sons as his priest.
In those days Israel had no king;'
everyone did as they saw fit."
Judges 17:5



He and his mother were forced to move away from their home, settling instead in Bethlehem within her clan of Judah.  People had forgotten the ways of the Lord, neglecting to tithe. Therefore, this young man who had been set aside for service to the Lord by birthright could not provide for he and his mother (Numbers 18:20-24). Instead of staying put, then, they decided to return to the home of her youth.  Life there was difficult without the provision of the people's required offerings. 

So, one night, the young Levite crept away.  Telling no one, he started his journey, looking for adventure and somewhere else to stay.  Soon he came upon a man in Ephraim who had set up his own shrine.  When the man living there in the hills found out the young wanderer was a Levite, he was ecstatic. 

Micah used God by forming his own personal religion, employing the wandering Levite who was willing to be bought off.  Both men received what they sought; the young sojourner found a home where his Levitical heritage was respected, and the homeowner was given the opportunity to legitimize his religion.  I guess you could say it was a win-win arrangement.

Unfortunately, neither sought God's will in this situation.  Instead, both were a kind of lone-wolf, using God to fulfill their own visions.  While I may not go so far as to set up my own religion, I am in danger of going out on my own in some ways.  Therefore, I would be wise to remember the characteristics of God.

Sovereignty of God

I make my plans then ask God's help to carry them out.  I justify this risky way of living by telling myself that God must have given me these plans, or that the aspirations I have come from Him, or that He wants to help me make my dreams come true.  After all, I rationalize, God wants me to be happy, doesn't He?  

Unfortunately for me, I have a low view of God.  He is not here for my benefit, to cater to my desires or to make me look good.  How could the created lead the Creator (Isaiah 29:16)?  Instead, God is sovereign over all things.  He has a plan of which I know nothing, necessitating my connection to Him.  If I don't seek Him out, I'll have no idea what He wants me to do (Jeremiah 29:11-13).

Living with a respect for God's sovereign nature means I'll recognize His lordship over every part of my life, hindering my natural tendency to do what seems right to me.  Instead of following my own instincts or common sense, I'll seek out God in an effort to honor Him as King of my life (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Honoring God as sovereign also means I'll accept my place, embrace my calling and acknowledge the importance of the position in which He has placed me.  While its easy for me to complain about my current circumstances, compare myself to others and come up short or yearn for something more, I will show respect for God's dominion in my life by making the most of who He has made me to be, right where He has placed me (Romans 9:19-20).

Revering God as the One who is in charge of all things means I'll remember how He can use every situation to bring about good.  I can be sure He is right there with me, looking out for my own best interest, even when it doesn't feel good (Romans 8:28).

I honor God's sovereign nature when I let Him serve as Lord of my life instead of using Him as some kind of magic talisman that can get me what I want.

Holiness of God

The colors found in the desert rock formation reminded me of a sunset.  Sudden movement off to the side caught my attention as a chipmunk scurried up a large stone, perching there while munching on a nut like a spectator watching a sporting event.  A vulture circling above looking for prey gave me the impression of a car salesman making the rounds in his lot, trying to make a sale.  

Everything in all of creation can be compared to something else with which I am familiar.  Understanding comes when I measure the strange and unique against the common and recognizable.  In this way I can comprehend what seems difficult or just plain different.

When I try to use this same exercise to help me understand God, however, I get myself in trouble.  I attempt to compare the triune nature of God with the three forms of water: liquid, gas and solid.  Unfortunately, this contrast is not perfect.  Similarly, I may assess the fatherly nature of God as compared to my own earthly dad, leaving me with an inadequate description.  Hearing that God is my Shepherd, I try fitting Him into the mold of one who leads sheep.  While this gives me a good start to understanding His role as my Guide, it falls short of reaching the fullness of His nature.

Instead of trying to compare God to something in His creation, I must accept that I don't need to understand Him fully in order to follow Him.  His ways are higher than mine and His thoughts far superior to anything my mind can drum up (Isaiah 55:8-9). Therefore, there are some things about God that I must accept by faith, reminding myself of His holy nature.

I recognize the holiness of God when I embrace Him and His ways as He teaches me, resisting my tendency to want to understand before I'll accept.

Relational Aspect of God

It wasn't so much that he didn't understand that bothered me.  Rather, it was the fact that he didn't seem to care enough to try to find out what made me tick.  When I was going through that marriage crisis, it was my husband's desire to grow closer to me that I craved the most.

I think we can all agree that the desire to be known and loved is as basic as the need for sustenance.  For instance, while a baby may survive without being held, it will not thrive apart from some kind of affection.  We all need connection with others who care for us.

Being made in God's image, it is apparent that this need for connection comes from our Maker.  He desires relationship with me as His child and He wove this longing for Him within each one of us, although I often seek to fill this void with lesser things (Ecclesiastes 3:11).  His desire for me is that I would share my heart with Him, depend upon Him to fulfill my every need and to love Him as He created me to love, seeking to know Him more each day through His holy Word.  

This is apparent in the life of David who was known as a man after God's own heart even though he committed the worst of sins (Acts 13:22). It was his desire to do as God had commanded that drew Him closer to God.  God knew that He could trust David with important missions, but also with tender truths that fall close to His heart.

Obedience is the outward manifestation of one's heart.  If I am bent on doing things my own way, I will forsake the leading of the Lord and go off on my own.  If, however, I am mostly concerned with my relationship with Him, I will be careful to do as He says, being unwilling to sacrifice my connection to Him just so I can get my way.  In other words, preserving my relationship with the Lord weighs heavily on every decision I make.

I show my understanding of God's heart when I place my relationship with Him above everything else, seeking to grow closer to Him more and more with each passing day.


In the same way that Micah came up with his own form of religion, I am guilty of doing the same, using God to try to get what I want, thinking I can completely fathom His ways, and seeking to impress Him with my dependable service.  If I want to guard against these common mistakes, I must remember God's sovereign and holy nature as well as His highest desire for me to build my relationship with Him.  In these ways, I'll avoid the pitfalls of Micah and cease using God for my own benefit.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to do what He says even if I don't understand what He's doing.

When do I place my desire to get something out of God above my desire to grow closer to Him?

How do I use God like a magic talisman, hoping He will supernaturally make things work out to my benefit?


Originally Published on April 1, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment