The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Hannah's Heart

"So in the course of time
Hannah became pregnant 
and gave birth to a son.
She named him Samuel,
saying, 'Because I asked the LORD for him.'"
1 Samuel 1:20



Her life was far from a fairy tale.  In fact, I would say that Hannah lived a difficult life that was filled with suffering.  She was childless in a culture that revered and valued motherhood.  Making her situation even more challenging was the fact that the poor woman was favored by her clueless husband in a home shared by two wives, setting her up for much abuse.  You see, the other woman with whom she split her husband was quite fertile but possessed a cruel nature and never let an opportunity pass to unmercifully provoke her, always keeping her own infertility constantly before her.

I can't think of a more strained existence than the one lived by Hannah.  How did she deal with such circumstances?  In a way from which I can draw much insight and wisdom in how to face my own struggles.

Godly Priorities

When I first met the man who would later become my husband, I only knew about him what I could observe from the little time I spent with him.  As time went by, we began to hold long conversations on the phone, talking about what was going on in each of our lives, sharing our dreams and revealing childhood memories.  Still, I only knew a fraction of what made the whole person.  

Once we got married and started living life together, however, I began to really get to know him.  I discovered his quirky ways, learned more about his views on life and also unearthed some quite annoying habits.  It wasn't until I invited him into the intimate parts of my life that his true character was revealed.

Similarly, I can read the Bible and find out quite a bit about the Lord.  My spare time can be spent in listening to sermons and classes taught about the God I desire to know.  It is not until I invite Him into the intimate parts of my life, however, living life in tandem with Him that I find out His true character (Revelation 3:20, Psalm 34:8).  This is the kind of relationship Hannah enjoyed with the Lord.  She knew Him intimately, as evidenced by her prayer found in 1 Samuel 2:1-10.

While leaning on Him during her hard times, Hannah learned that He was her strength, a Deliverer who is holy and can be counted upon.  She also found out as she relied on Him that He is a righteous Judge and is filled with knowledge, the only One who is sovereign over all things.  As she walked with Him she realized that putting all her hope in Him would never disappoint and that He was her mighty Warrior, always faithful to fight her battles for her.

With such knowledge gained by living in relationship with the Lord, she was able to put all her faith in Him, turning to the One she knew would understand even when no human around her did.  

When the going gets tough in my own life, I can learn a lesson from Hannah and get to know the God who is my only true hope.

All In

She gave up the very thing she wanted most.  Many years were spent yearning for a child, and when God finally granted her the joy of being a mother, she gave the precious gift back to God.  In a pure act of spiritual dedication and commitment to the Lord, Hannah was willing to let go of her most valued earthly possession.  In her mind that was committed to the Lord, the greatest evidence of her gratitude to Him was for her to give that which she had wanted most back to the One whom she valued even more.

Jim Elliot once wrote in his journal that, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Hannah knew a little something about such kingdom values.  The things of this world will pass away no matter how tightly we clutch them.  On that great day when I enter into glory and taste what Jesus has prepared for me, I will finally realize the foolishness of going after the things of this world.  It is then that the insignificance of what I once thought was earth-shattering will become apparent. 

Hannah lived with this perspective in the here and now, fully giving her life to the Lord.  She understood that her connection to God was what would last, giving her complete and utter joy.  Everything else, even the child she so desperately desired, could not bring such fullness as could her bond with the Lord.  Therefore, she was willing to let go of everything else and live with abandon to Him.

I, too, can live such a life.  I can hold onto my worldly possessions with an open hand, being willing to let them go, believing that what Jesus is preparing in heaven far surpasses anything I can obtain in this world.  I can also commit my loved ones to the Lord, letting Him be the One to change their hearts, protect them from evil and guide them down the path that leads to life.  Instead of fretting over their position, I can confidently place them in the hands of Him who loves them even more than do I.  It is even possible for me to let go of the dreams I have always held close to my heart, placing them for safe keeping in the hands of the One who can make them come true in a way that honors Him.

When the going gets tough in my own life, I can learn a lesson from Hannah and fully commit my life to the Lord who loves me perfectly.

Anti-Anxiety

There was nothing pleasant about her life.  Worry and stress were a regular part of each day.  Would she ever taste the joys of motherhood?  What if what Peninnah said was true, what if her life was meaningless without children?  Why would God bless such a mean-spirited woman with so many children and give her none?  

Instead of dwelling upon all that was difficult, however, Hannah knew the truth found in Philippians 4:6-7.  She poured out her heart to the Lord, sharing all that grieved her so deeply.  She didn't withhold even the ugliest thoughts, instead revealing them to the One who knew her intimately and loved her still.  As she did so, peace flooded her soul, guarding her mind from destructive thoughts and her heart from despair (1 Samuel 1:16-18).

The same is true for me.  Instead of focusing on what is distressing in my life, I can hand it all over to the Lord, unloading my burdens upon His shoulders.  As I do, I will find a sense of well-being and serenity replace the familiar feelings of apprehension and fretfulness.  

While it is easy for me to analyze my situation, coming up with dozens of possible solutions in my mind, trusting God to reveal His perfect plan in His own time will replace my sleepless nights with peaceful slumber.  In place of looking for possible alternatives to my seemingly hopeless condition, I can share my disappointments with the One who is able to do so much more than I could ever ask or even imagine (Ephesians 3:20).  Instead of looking for plausible answers, I can watch for the mind-blowing solution the God of the impossible brings about, to His own glory (Luke 1:37).

When the going gets tough in my own life, I can learn a lesson from Hannah and place all my anxiety on the One who delivers unfathomable peace to my soul.


There is no doubt that Hannah was dealt a rough hand with which to play.  Instead of whining about the difficulties that marked her life, however, she took the time to know on an intimate level the One who created all things, fully committed her whole life to Him, and trusted Him with her most confidential thoughts.  In these ways, I too can retain godly priorities, totally commit everything I've been given to the God who loves me, and work against the anxiety in my life by living authentically before Him.  In these ways I'll develop the heart of Hannah.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep God in the loop of the ins and outs of my life.

When do I hold onto things that hold no heavenly value?

How am I trying to handle things on my own instead of trusting God to solve my problems for me?    

Originally published on April 8, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment