The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Passover For All


Then the Lord said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites, 
'When any of you or your descendants are unclean 
because of a dead body or are away on a journey, 
they are still to celebrate the Lord's Passover. . .
A foreigner residing among you
is also to celebrate the Lord's Passover
in accordance with it's rules and regulations.
You must have the same regulations
for both the foreigner 
and the native born."
Numbers 9:10,14



In Upper New York Harbor stands a lady who welcomes all who dream of a better life in America.  If I were to visit Liberty Island and stand at her base, I would read the following:


"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"*

America has always been known as the land of opportunity, a country open to refugees and legal immigrants no matter their race, color or creed.  While this open-door policy can bring with it a host of problems and makes us vulnerable in many ways, there is always a sense of compassion for those who are suffering that drives us toward such a belief.

In an even greater way, the Body of Christ welcomes all who have no family, regardless of background, family lineage or reputation.  The Lord is a God of standards, but He makes a way for all to enter into relationship with Him through Jesus Christ.  

In the same way that God allowed all to celebrate the Passover in Old Testament times as a way for His people to remember His mighty salvation from the hand of the Egyptians, so He has made a way for all to receive salvation from condemnation for our sins through faith in Jesus Christ (John 3:17-18).  Therefore, I could say that the cross of Christ is the great equalizer, making the ground level for any who profess a faith in Him.

Unclean

She couldn't seem to break away from the destructive habit of linking herself with dangerous men.
For him, alcohol was his savior; serving to numb him against the disappointment that his life had turned out to be.

This couple lived a risky life out on the street, making their home in a patch of woods behind a couple of warehouses.  Their's was a life of sleeping with one eye open, fighting to survive and constantly searching for the means to buy their next case of beer.  They both longed for more, but lacked the power to break free from their addictions.

Meanwhile, an abundant life is at their fingertips, waiting to be tasted through faith in Jesus Christ (John 10:10, Psalm 34:8).  While the world may say their's is a hopeless case, tossing them aside as so much refuse, God says they are His precious children (1 John 3:1).

I often feel unworthy of such extravagant, abundant love!  Through faith in Jesus Christ, however, the miracle lies in the fact that the extraordinary gift of salvation comes with a steep price which has already been paid by blood of Jesus Christ on the cross at Calvary(1 Corinthians 7:23). There is nothing I can do to deserve this gift, which means I must learn to accept my admittance into His kingdom by faith.  Since I didn't earn it, neither can I lose it through my own failures and weaknesses.  My position as His child is secure (Romans 8:38-39).

Therefore, I can live joyfully, despite my own wretched heart.  I can boldly approach His throne of grace to receive the mercy I need to get through each moment, not based on what I've accomplished or deserve, but solely on what Jesus has already done (Hebrews 4:16).

Even though God expects perfection, my unclean heart can still find refuge in His kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ.

Foreigner

She grew up in the church and was familiar with all the Christian ways.  As a girl, she thought her place in heaven was secure because she was born into a family of faith.  Her dad, a devout believer in Jesus Christ and long-time pastor of a country church, sensed his daughter's mistaken belief.  He told her, "You must come to Christ on your own.  You can't rely on me to get you into God's kingdom.  I will not always be here to remind you of this truth."

The teenage girls confidently replied, "Daddy, I'm just gonna stand by your grave and when you are called up into heaven, I'll grab onto your coattails and go with you!"

While this may sound ridiculous, it is easy to think I'm right with God based on my familial affiliation.  Either I was born into a family who trusts in Jesus as their Savior, or I am a part of a vibrant congregation who worships the one true God.  In the words of Billy Sunday, early 20th century evangelist, "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than going to a garage makes you an automobile."

No matter what family I am born into, or what nationality with which I am identified, or where I go to church, I have the same chance as anyone else to become part of the family of God.  All it takes is simple faith in the message of the cross (Romans 1:16).

Even though God only saves His own, I can become His child firmly rooted in His kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ, no matter my heritage.

Late Bloomer

I was puzzled at the sight of an azalea blooming in late summer.  It had been my experience that these colorful blooms helped usher in the new life of spring, but never before had I seen them blossom in the heat of the summer.  

In the same way that these azaleas could be called late bloomers, I often think of myself as the same.  I can be stubborn when it comes to following God's ways and slow to accept the place God has positioned me.  It is easy to waste precious time as I fight God as He performs the transformation process in my life, opting instead to obstinately prefer my own comfortable ways (Romans 12:2). 

Still, God loves me.  He may not be able to use me until I bend to His will, but my place in His family is not dependent upon my compliance.  It may take me awhile to come around, but God is patient with me, leading me forward one step at a time until I fully place myself in His hands.

If God gave me what I deserved, I would be on death row, marching toward an eternity separated from His goodness (Psalm 103:10, Romans 6:23).  Instead, He gives me eternal life through faith in Jesus Christ.  Not only that, I need not fear bowing to His authority in my life because He is a loving Master.

Even though God expects His people to live holy lives, my security in His kingdom is not dependent upon my performance but solely upon Christ's obedience.


I worship a God who has high standards.  It is easy, then, to assume my own unclean state, my inferior lineage or heritage, or my stubborn heart would leave me out in the cold.  Thankfully, however, this is not the case.  Instead, I find safe harbor in His kingdom through faith in Jesus Christ no matter my performance, station in life or difficulty in bending my will to His.  The Lord is a God who has provided a way for all to have the opportunity to live for Him.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can realize the grace of God that places my feet firmly upon His rock of salvation.

When do I hold back from truly trusting God wholeheartedly because of my own feelings of unworthiness?

How do I assume I don't belong to God's family since I have no heritage of faith?   





*From "The New Colossus" by Emma Lazarus http://www.libertystatepark.com/emma.htm 


Originally published on January 7, 2014

Photo credit:    
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgoGBvOwvhS0LvFXiRDJRfIrRDZOoH4NI2f-2KCjHDxqFyHYQ5bcQVRypaH-Cv2uiR_5d4MFQJ8vHgnIATKZQeu9tMTL0t74PA4uAlrOaUPvC0A7IJie0d_OoGpvGyUOeaabgS1tspTG9E/s1600/crosses+at+surise.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment