The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, March 29, 2019

Less is More

"The LORD said to Gideon,
'You have too many men.
I cannot deliver Midian into their hands,
or Israel would boast against me,
"My own strength has saved me."'"
Judges 7:2




John the Baptist knew this truth well.  He was created for a specific purpose; to prepare the way for the coming Messiah.  Once he saw Jesus taking His rightful place as the chosen One, John declared the fulfillment of his purpose in saying, "He must become greater; I must become less" (John 3:30).

In the same way that John understood the importance of letting Jesus have supremacy, I must take on the same mindset if God is to get all the glory in my life.  If I want to truly experience my purpose, He must become greater and I must become less.  In the kingdom where Jesus reigns and I desire to dwell, less is considered to be more.

Confidence

"I wish I had a fraction of your confidence."  I often say this to my dear husband who is overflowing with what I often lack.  Even though I tease him about his boldness and self-assurance, I know it is not really in his own capabilities that he trusts.  Instead, I know that my husband simply has faith in what God can do through him.

My problem is that I have a hard time getting over myself.  I am not so different from Moses in this way.  When he stood before the burning bush, receiving a powerful calling from God through a most extraordinary delivery method, Moses couldn't get over himself.  Are You sure You've got the right guy? (Exodus 3:11) What if the people don't listen?  I'm not one of them and I don't know what they call You! (v 13)  What if they don't believe me?  (Exodus 4:1)  Each time, God reassured Moses, giving him the answer he needed or a sign to prove His purpose.  

Then Moses got to the real issue: he didn't think he was capable of doing what God was asking him to do. I've never been good at speaking.  I'll never be able to speak in a way that anyone will listen.  I'll make a fool of myself! Exodus 4:10)  Still, God calmly encouraged Moses with the truth that He made His mouth and was perfectly capable of giving him the ability to speak when the time came.  Trust me, Moses.  I'll be with you every step of the way (v 11-12).

Unfortunately, his own insecurity was too much.  Moses just couldn't picture himself standing in front of all the people, delivering a message he feared he couldn't give. Please, can't you send someone else?  This lack of faith angered God. Fine, I'll send your brother, Aaron, as your mouthpiece (v 13-17).  I can relate.

If I could only grasp what the Apostle Paul seemed to understand:  The weaker I am, the better.  The less of me there is, the more of God there is.  My own frailties are only an opportunity for God's strength to prevail (2 Corinthians 12:9).

In God's kingdom, the less able I am, the greater is the opportunity for God to shine.

Wisdom

I don't know enough to do this job.  What if someone asks me a question I can't answer?  What if no one else is there to lead and I am asked to step up?  What if. . . what if. . .  The "what ifs" often keep me from going where God is leading me.  What I often fail to understand, though, is that less is more in God's kingdom.

I don't need to possess all the wisdom I think is necessary before I start doing what God is calling me to do.  God is the One with all the understanding.  If I trust Him enough to step out in faith, believing that He will equip me once I accept His calling on my life, I'll find Him faithful to supply what I need at just the right time (Proverbs 9:10). The only qualification necessary for doing what God wants me to do is to be connected to the Source of all good things (John 15:5).

As I value Him above everything else in my life, His Word will become like vital sustenance to my soul.  I'll find that I can't begin the day without drinking in His living water.  A deep hunger will arise that can only be satisfied with a thorough study of the Bible and a meditation of the meaningful truths that come forth as a result.  

I may not be wise in the ways of the world nor in the realm of academia, but even the lowest thought that God can muster is wiser than anything that comes out of the world (1 Corinthians 1:25).  Everything I need to know is found in relationship with Christ.  The closer I get to Him, the more I will understand about the things that matter most (Colossians 2:2-3).   While the world may not recognize this brand of wisdom, I will never be sorry that I sought after it. 

In God's kingdom, wisdom flows from my relationship with Christ, not from the potency of my brain power.

Ambition

"You can do anything you put your mind to."

In the world in which I live, I am constantly bombarded with the message that I can reach any goal I set as long as I try hard enough.  Ambition can buy me the American dream, the fulfillment of my aspirations and the success I've always wanted.  As long as I work consistently and purposefully, I can hit any target for which I aim.

While this philosophy may (or may not) work in the world's economy, it certainly is not appropriate in God's.  In His kingdom it is less my own effort and more of God's grace that is vital.  In the world, I am the maker of my own destiny.  In God's kingdom, He is the Master Potter who created each of His own with a specific purpose in mind (Isaiah 45:9). Therefore, my role is to submit to His Lordship and allow Him to lead me through my days.

This means I must spend less time in trying to reach the goals I have set for myself, and more time in learning about the plan God has for my life (Jeremiah 29:11-13). I must decrease the amount of effort I put into getting ahead and increase the exertion I make into growing in the grace and knowledge of Christ Jesus (2 Peter 3:17-18).  I must put forth less energy into doing what I think looks religious and focus more intently on my relationship with the God who loves me unconditionally (1 John 4:16).

In His so-called Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught some radical truths as He revealed His kingdom to a hungry crowd.  He said it was time to cease running after all the things I think I need.  To me, this seems like a crazy concept.  Wouldn't I be irresponsible if I don't take care of my basic necessities?  I ask myself.  While the world may think so, Jesus had His reason for teaching such a radical idea.  He was trying to convey to those who would follow Him that we have a Father who knows our needs and is perfectly able to supply them.

Since I possess such a Father, I am free to live with the liberty of wholly focusing on Him and His kingdom.  I can devote myself to the work He has set aside for me to do, knowing that He will give me what I need to live (Ephesians 2:10). Or, as Oswald Chambers said, I can dedicate my life to Jesus Christ and pleasing Him.  "Learn to discern where the ambition leads, and you will see why it is so necessary to live facing the Lord Jesus Christ."  Any other direction will take me away from Him.

In God's kingdom, the less ambition I possess to attain worldly success, the more I have left to run to Jesus.


The values of God's kingdom are upside down and backwards to what I find in the world around me.  Therefore, it is important that I keep in mind that my confidence comes less from me and more from God, lasting wisdom is found in the mysteries revealed by the One who desires to be known, and the drive to succeed in this world can be replaced by a determination to grow closer to God.  In these ways, less is more in God's kingdom.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can step back from the world's economy and take stock of how much I have invested there.

When do I rely on my own understanding instead of seeking the wisdom of God?

How am I ambitious for success but indifferent toward my relationship with God?   


Originally published on March 20, 2019


Photo credit:   https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgYd4N50v64YegUZsbG9dQ8SPTqgpqwBVYNCvGV0ekhIMd5VDKC5S7r3uRyF70CVoBXHBwYUY7V_9vYifkeerEusFQsMpPd5tMoukWYMDeiMOcCy63saeDqHnslrPuYOY3RcK-sMeHPzmY/w140-h92-p/MustardSeed.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment