The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

What's Your Name?

"But Joash shouted to the mob that confronted him,
'Why are you defending Baal?
Will you argue his case?
Whoever pleads his case will be put to death by morning!
If Baal truly is a god, let him defend himself
and destroy the one who broke down his altar!'
From then on Gideon was called Jerub-baal,
which means,
'Let Baal defend himself,'
because he broke down Baal's altar."
Judges 6:31-32 NLT



President Benjamin Harrison was called "Kid Gloves" because he wore the hand coverings to protect his skin from its tendency for infection.
In high school, Jerry Lewis' nickname was "Id," short for idiot.
Carole Marsciarelli became known as "Penny" because as a child she saved up pennies to buy a horse.  We now know her as Penny Marshall.
Flip Wilson earned his stage name while serving in the U.S. Air Force when one of his bunk mates said, "He flippeth his lid."

Many times nicknames come about because of a certain behavior or practice, or due to a particular incident that occurred.  Gideon was no different.  He earned the nickname "Jerubbaal" because he had the courage to defy his father and the townspeople by obeying God and destroying the altar they erected to Baal.  When confronted, he challenged the people's willingness to contend for Baal.

What is it that I am quick to defend?  For what am I willing to rise up and contend?  If it's so powerful a force in my life that I find the need to speak out on its behalf, maybe I need to reconsider my priorities.

Freedom

Their presence burned me up inside.  I was driving on a local interstate freeway when I caught sight of their protest signs as I passed underneath a bridge.  They held their signs against the very war my husband was risking his life in which to fight.  These protesters even had the nerve to question the honor of my husband and soldiers like him.  To vent my frustrations, I wrote a scalding letter to the editor of the newspaper, chastising them for creating a hostile environment to which my husband would return from the battlefield. 

We love our freedoms and use them liberally to proclaim whatever beliefs we so adamantly wish to share with the people around us.  When anyone attempts to take away my freedom of speech which gives me the right to voice my opinion, and those protesters to do the same, I am ready for a fight.

It's easy for me to get passionately drawn into a quest for freedom.  When I see the government growing larger and larger as it demands more and more power, I am alarmed.  I am ready to fight to save the liberties for which our forefathers so valiantly fought.  

What about the freedom Christ gave His life for me to enjoy?  Am I as deeply passionate about my liberty from the obligation to earn my own salvation?  No.  Many times I find myself feeling guilty for how I have fallen short instead of remembering my true identity as a sinner saved by grace who is incapable of doing good (Romans 3:23, Romans 7:18).  Other times I'm bound and determined to prove my worth by serving out of obligation instead of obedience to God's direct calling on my life.   Sometimes I even use my own effort to attempt to become a better person instead of cooperating with God as He changes me from the inside out (Romans 12:1-2).

Jesus gave His life, suffering much abuse, so that I could live in freedom from the obligation to follow the law, in peace with my Father who expects perfection, and liberated from the guilt that comes from falling short.  I am justified freely by God's grace, made right with a holy God who loves me enough to send His Son to take my punishment so that I might approach Him boldly and with confidence (Romans 3:24, Hebrews 4:16).  Am I so quick to throw this away?  

Yes I am.  Despite this unspeakable sacrifice, I so often slip back into my tendency to try to do good, to attempt to earn my place in God's family by the sweat of my brow, to hold up the standard I am unable to reach but expect others to attain.  When will I stand up and contend for this freedom which has already been won for me (Galatians 5)?  

Jesus died so that I could enjoy true freedom.  Let me be known as one who has the courage to speak in defense of this liberty.

Rights

I remember the lyrics to an absurd song from my youth.  "You gotta fight for your right to party."  Even then I thought it lame, it did speak to a generation of kids who bought into the idea that they had the right to do with their life as they best saw fit.  

Americans take the idea of rights very seriously, so much so that the thought that I have complete autonomy is ingrained within me.  Unfortunately, while this way of thinking may appeal to my sin nature, it runs counter to God's kingdom.  If I am to make Jesus my king and live in His kingdom, I will need to realize that He is the only One with a right to me.  After all, He bought me at a steep price (1 Corinthians 6:20).

When I think, then, that I am entitled to be treated fairly and with respect, I will place that expectation above God's love.  Instead of showing compassion to the harried clerk who rudely handles my refund, then, I will demand to notify her supervisor to make sure action is taken against her rough behavior.  Unfortunately, while I may have done the right thing in the eyes of the world, I neglected to pass on the love and mercy of God to someone who desperately needed it.

I will also fight a merchant tooth and nail for a good price on a service he provides for me, thinking it is my right to pay the least amount possible.  Unfortunately, while I may have proved myself a shrewd consumer, I failed to contribute to the livelihood of a man who earns his living serving others.

When my daughter comes home from school with a note from the teacher, I take the opportunity to defend my child, accusing the overwrought woman of unfair treatment.  Unfortunately, I missed an opportunity to extend the forgiveness so freely given to me by a God whose mercies are new every morning.

Jesus' blood paid for my life.  Let me be known as one who lets God use me in a way that brings glory to Him.  

Contentment

I don't want to be rich but have enough to pay my bills with a little left over to do what I want to do.  I want to live comfortably. This is what I used to tell myself as I struggled to pay our family's bills.  Instead of being thankful for what God had provided and the faithful way He supplied my needs, I wanted more.  I wasn't content with what I had been given.  Instead, I thought I'd be happier with a little more.

I seek that which gratifies my sinful desire; to live a life of ease and to be well cared for.  Unfortunately, since my sin nature is never satisfied, I will never reach that level of contentment I thought was just up the pay scale.

The Apostle Paul told Timothy that, "true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth"  (1 Timothy 6:6 NLT).  He went on to explain how we came into this world with nothing and will leave the same way.  Therefore, if we have what we need, that should be enough.  When I go after more than what I've been given, I am in danger of wandering away from what is of true value: my faith. (1 Timothy 6:6-12)

As a result, I would be wise to seek godliness instead of happiness, living by faith instead of being led by my flesh, and sitting at the feet of Jesus instead of going after a reputation as a hard worker.  While I may think being content is what will give me a good life, the real joy comes when I surrender my life to Christ, letting Him be Lord of my life.  It is then that I will produce fruit that will last, and that will bring true satisfaction(John 15:5).

Jesus died so that I could live an abundant life. (John 10:10)  Let me be known as one who values Him above my desire to live comfortably.


What is my legacy?  When I am gone will people remember me for the way I stood for my liberties, defended my rights and sought after a life of contentment?  Or, will others recall the way I lived as a sinner saved by grace who was bought with a price and valued holy living above my own sense of satisfaction?   Today could be the day that I could start to make a name for myself; a name that will bring glory to the One who died for me!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can set aside any right I think I have to my own life and freely submit to Christ.

When is my own comfort my utmost desire?

How do I forget the freedom I have in Christ?


Originally published on March 19, 2014  

No comments:

Post a Comment