The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, March 14, 2019

To Know Him Better

"I pray for you constantly,
asking God,
the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
to give you spiritual wisdom and insight
so that you might grow in your knowledge of God.
I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light
so that you can understand the confident hope he has given
to those he called--
his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance.
I also pray that you will understand
the incredible greatness of God's power
for us who believe him.
This is the same mighty power that raised Christ
from the dead and seated him in the place of honor
at God's right hand in the heavenly realms.
Now he is far about any ruler or authority
or power or anything else--
not only in this world but also in the world to come."
Ephesians 1:16b-21 NLT



To be known and loved; that is the cry of every human heart.  We desire to enjoy intimacy with another in such a way that we are fully understood, yet completely accepted and embraced.  Knowing that we were created in the image of God, I can safely assume that this desire must originate with the Creator himself.  

He desires that we know Him, as well.  Not as a distant God who rules benevolently over us, but as an intimate Father who walks beside us, guiding and directing our paths in His ways, loving our silly quirks and enjoying the delight of our heart.  To be known and loved is the cry of every human that comes from the heart of God.

Enlightenment


I see things through the eyes of a sinful, jaded human who has been hurt, has fallen many times, and who suffers from many fears.  Consequently, I mostly see the product of sin all around me; noticing all the pain and suffering, dangerous pitfalls, and threats that loom.

When I ask God to open the eyes of my heart, as the worship song declares, I begin to come into the light.  It is then that I see the tender care of a mother for her autistic child instead of the unfairness of a disability that I used to notice, or the kindness of a stranger ministering to the outcast where I used to see only futility, or the power of God changing the heart of a loved one where all I once saw was stubborn insolence. 

As I learn more about God, I find that He opens the eyes of my heart to see with His eyes.


Riches

Treasures beyond compare.  The resources to buy anything I want.  Enough income to be able to splurge on luxuries.  The ability to go where I want, when I want.   Many people think of something like this when they see the word "riches."

God, however, has something far more valuable in mind when He uses the word "prosperity."  To Him, His people are His treasured possession (Deuteronomy 7:6).  The fact that He loved me enough to send Jesus to die so that I can inherit His kingdom gives me hope and God pleasure (Colossians 1:12,19-20).

Remembering this wealth that God has bestowed upon me helps when I'm down in the trenches sweating it out.  What I have to look forward to far outweighs any suffering I can endure here on earth, and this gives me incentive to keep moving forward toward what I cannot see but know is there (2 Corinthians 4:17-18).

As I learn more about God, I grow in the hope I have in the eternal heritage I can claim through Jesus Christ.

Power

I could hear the energy crackling and humming as it surged through the giant power lines raised high above the ground.  Walking under the enormous robot-like structures, I considered all the energy that was being delivered to thousands of people so they could run their appliances, heat their homes and burn their lights.  The amount of power located above my head was awe-inspiring.

This power, however, is nothing compared to the might of God.  Not only can He speak the world into existence (Genesis 1), part the Red Sea (Exodus 14:21-22) and raise the dead to life (Luke 24:5-6), but He can also transform a heart of stone (Ezekiel 36:26), mend a broken marriage (Psalm 34:18), and break the bonds of debt.

As I learn more about God, I realize the incomparable mighty strength He pours into my life.


Just as I want to be known and loved, God shares this desire even though He is in need of nothing.  As I walk with Him, getting to know Him better and growing in my love for Him, He opens the eyes of my heart, reminds me of the hope I have in Him, and provides a continuous flow of His incomparable power.  To know Him better is the cry of my heart!

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can seek to know God with all of my heart.

When do I look at situations using my eyes instead of God's?

How does His strength make a difference in my life?  


Originally published on March 15, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment