The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, January 14, 2013

The Jungle of Sin

"The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven
against all the godlessness and wickedness
of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness,
since what may be known about God is plain to them,
because God has made it plain to them.
For since the creation of the world 
God's invisible qualities--
his eternal power and divine nature--
have been clearly seen,
being understood from what has been made,
so that men are without excuse.
For although they knew God,
they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him,
but their thinking became futile
and their foolish hearts were darkened."
Romans 1:18-21



Vines covered the hill; prickly blackberry creepers intertwined with poison ivy, morning glory and poke weed.  There was not an inch of bare ground; only a tangled forest.  I tried in vain to grow some sunflowers in a sunny place, but the overabundance of weeds choked out the blooms, killing them before they had a chance to thrive.  If I had any hope of reclaiming our land, I would have to declare war on the persistent wild plants.

Starting one day in February of the following year, I pulled out every dormant vine, working hard to dig up and discard as much of the invaders and their roots as possible.  After a few weeks, what used to look like a wild jungle, especially during the summertime, was now tamed into a bare section of ground that could be utilized for garden space come Springtime.  The potential for a fruitful patch was always there, but I had to intentionally endeavor to keep the weeds from taking over.

In the same way, I have the potential of living a godly life that is pleasing to God.  As a follower of Christ, I possess the power of the Holy Spirit to enable me to live a holy life as Jesus did. (1 Peter 1:15, John 14:20-21, Romans 8:14)  Many times, however, the sin that I've allowed to exist and even thrive in my heart overshadows all the work the Spirit of God is doing.  I can't live according to what the Spirit teaches and still allow sin to remain, giving it a chance to thrive.  Sin will always choke out the fruit of God's Spirit,  just like the weeds on my property choked out the flowers I tried to grow.  (Galatians 5:16-17)

The power of Jesus is suppressed in my life because of my own wickedness.  God cannot be glorified when I let my sin nature rule despite the goodness of God which is evident all around me.

Selfishness

"Have it your way"
"You deserve a break today"
"Gimme a break"
It's everywhere you want to be"

You might recognize these catchy jingles from past advertising campaigns for Burger King, McDonald's, Kit Kat and Visa.  Many of the most popular and effective marketing schemes cater to my rights, my desires, my needs and my comfort.  Advertising executives know that humans think, "It's all about me!"

While big business knows what sells, this same frame-of-mind can't be translated into God's kingdom.  If I want to follow Jesus, I must want it His way, not mine.  I can't expect to focus on me and let Him lead at the same time: There can only be one master of my life.  Either it will be me, my stuff, my dreams and my ambitions, or it will be God.  I simply cannot have it both ways.  (Matthew 6:24)

There was a young man during Jesus' time who was pretty wealthy.  He came to Jesus with the question of how he can get to the kingdom of heaven.  After going through some of the commandments that the optimistic, confident chap claimed to have followed since childhood, Jesus took it a step further, hitting him in his weak spot.

"Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.  Then come, follow me."  (Mark 10:21)  As one who lives in a developed country, even though I don't consider myself to be, I am wealthy in comparison to the rest of the world.   If Jesus asked me to get rid of all my stuff and become a vagabond, I don't know how much I'd be willing to respond.  I can relate to this young man's dilemma.

If I want to get serious about letting Jesus be Lord of my life, however, I must value Him more than any of my stuff, my relationships or my well-being.  What right do I have to any of this as one who has been bought with a price?  (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)  Perhaps Oswald Chambers said it best when he warned me to, "Beware of the inclination to dictate to God as to what you will allow to happen if you obey Him."

The power of Jesus will flow freely through me when I make Him Lord of every part of my life.

Coldness

"Well, he's getting what he deserved.  After all, he never really paid attention to his health but just lived the way he wanted to.  It's not surprising that he has kidney failure.  It's too bad."

I hold this kind of attitude in my heart more often than I'd like to admit.  While I may not say the above statement out loud, this kind of hard take on a situation often comes to my mind.  

As a human at the mercy of a loving and just God, I am on shaky ground when I put myself in His place.  There are times when I decide who is worthy, thinking that love is somehow earned or deserved.  In this way, I am squelching the fire of God's love that would otherwise flow through me.

Coldness of heart develops when I look down on those who God has placed in my path, thinking that they don't seem to measure up.  It could be those who treat me like dirt, always spewing hate and filthy language.  Even though their outside seems to be hard and crusty, this person may be working hard to protect their tender heart that has been wounded one time too many.

Sometimes it's the friend who wonders why her children talk back, use foul language and seem to know much more than any elementary student should.  Instead of pointing her to the Solution-Giver, I criticize her parenting style that allows all kinds of filth in through her choice of entertainment.

Other times I get caught up in the irritating and destructive behavior of the youth in our community instead of seeing them the way God sees them; as children who need Jesus.

Coldness comes from keeping my own perspective instead of seeing things through the eyes of God.  Where I see a jerk, God sees a wounded child.  Where I see irresponsibility, God sees potential.  Where I see disruption and disrespect, God sees the future of His kingdom.

The power of Jesus will flow through me when I replace my point-of-view with God's.

Fear

I stood on the top of the 12-foot cargo-net wall, paralyzed with fear.  I can't swing my leg over the top:  There's nothing to hold onto and I might fall!  The netting was shifting under the weight of my body, making me feel unstable and insecure.  I couldn't picture myself accomplishing the feat of negotiating this barrier.  What if I slip and fall?

My fear kept me from climbing over that obstacle.  At the moment, it seemed like I had lost control of my body as it became immobilized by my alarm and dread of falling to the hard ground below.  In the same way, fear can keep me from doing what God is calling me to do.  What if I fail?  I can't do that!  I've never tried anything like that before! That's just not me.

These are some of the negative thoughts Satan suggests whenever God offers a mission for me.  Instead of giving into the thoughts, however, I can do as Paul suggested in 2 Corinthians 10:5b and  ". . .take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

Then, when I sense God compelling me to begin a street-preaching ministry, I can turn away from the voices of dissension that seek to keep me down and instead rise up to meet the challenge, trusting in God to equip and enable me.  (Hebrews 13:21)

For the times that I feel a shift and know God is directing me to a new direction in my career, I can tune out the doubts and instead focus on the truth that all things are possible with God.  (Luke 1:37)

During the times of trial when circumstances are tough and I don't feel like I can carry on,  I can ignore the words that discourage and instead remember that I am able to continue on through the strength that Christ gives me.  (Philippians 4:13)

God does not choose me according to my abilities, my qualifications or my importance.  Instead, He sends out a call and its up to me whether or not I answer.  As Oswald Chambers wrote in his devotional My Utmost for His Highest, "The call of God is not for the special few, it is for everyone.  Whether or not I hear God's call depends upon the state of my ears; and what I hear depends upon my disposition."  Will I let doubt block His work in my life?

The power of Jesus will flow through me when I refuse to let fear rule my heart.



Sin can entangle me just as easily as the weeds took over my property.  Instead of following my sinful nature, though, resulting in selfish living, a cold heart and being immobilized by fear, I can let the power of Jesus flow through me by staying in step with God's Spirit.  Then, I will experience the full force of the power of the Truth in my life.



As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will receive the heart of Jesus that is filled with compassion and humility.

How do I squelch love's fire with my cold, hard attitude?

When do I let fear hold me back?  

No comments:

Post a Comment