The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Born for a New Life

"We were therefore buried with him
through baptism into death in order that,
just as Christ was raised from the dead
through the glory of the Father,
we too may live a new life."
Romans 6:4



When I was younger, I read a Stephen King novel called, "Pet Sematary."  The characters in this horror story learn of an ancient Micmac burial ground near their home where they foolishly bury their recently deceased pet cat.  The resurrected feline later returns home but is not quite the same: There is an unpleasant odor emanating from her body, her fur is disheveled, she seems to have developed a penchant for killing and tearing about small prey without consuming the flesh and her behavior is just plain strange.  Things go downhill from there.

Although I am not recommending this book or the practices found within, the premise is an interesting one: new life brings new characteristics.  While the change in temperament and personality of the "reborn" cat was disturbing, those that come from a new life through faith in Jesus are positive and godly.

As one who has been born again in Christ, I don't have to live the way I used to live.  Instead, I can live a new life! (John 3:3)

Led by the Spirit

Her life was busy and filled with many church activities.  She hungrily consumed all the Christian literature she could find, seeking to learn all she could about living for God.  Her desire to please Him drove her to say "yes" to every request for help from the church.  Even though her family complained that they missed her and the children cried when she left them with a sitter for the fifth time in a week, she felt the need to do her best for God.

This woman's zeal is misplaced.  Instead of being passionate about her relationship with Christ, she is nearly fanatical about her service for Him.  It is easy to find myself in this same predicament when I replace my devotion to Jesus and a desire to follow Him with a performance-based mentality.

Jesus noticed this same pattern occurring in the church at Ephesus.  He said that while they were very industrious, enduring trouble patiently, standing firm for the truth and enduring patiently, they have forgotten their first love: Christ.  (paraphrased from Revelation 2:1-4)

Jesus is to be the catalyst that drives my life.  As Oswald Chambers reminded, "We are not sent to battle for God, but to be used by God in His battlings.  Are we being more devoted to service than to Jesus Christ?"

If I am motivated by my own conscience, doing what I think I ought to do as a "good Christian," then I have forsaken my first love.

If I seek to do my best for God but leave Him out of the picture, then I have forsaken my first love.

If I am driven by guilt, jumping from activity to activity in order to make up for my sins, then I have forsaken my first love.

If Jesus is the Lord of my life and I aim to worship Him in the way that I live, then I will do only what He puts in my path as I follow Him and freely accept the love He has for me.

My new life in Christ inspires me to turn from my own plans, common sense and rationale, instead following my new lord: Jesus.

Created Anew

I enjoy watching makeover shows, whether it is a house, clothing style or way of life that is being renovated: Watching the old, unattractive, unhealthy stuff being removed and witnessing the transformation to the new is fascinating.  It's great to see how much of an improvement to someone's well-being a change can bring.

When I accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior, dedicating my life to Him, I undergo a kind of makeover. Instead of using paint, shopping sprees and strenuous exercise, however, God initiates the change supernaturally through His Spirit. (Ephesians 4:22-24)  Although my new creation is from God, I must let go of the old and bring in the new: it doesn't happen automatically.

If I continue in my old way of thinking, giving into worry, lust or deceitful thoughts, I am failing to shed my former skin.  Sin is no longer my only choice: I now have Jesus who will give me power to take captive every thought to glorify God.  (2 Corinthians 10:5, Philippians 4:8)

If I stay in my comfortable former pattern of seeking pleasure by giving in to overeating, worldly entertainment or obsessive social media, I am choosing to stay in my fleshly ways.  These sins need hold me no longer since I have the option of gaining my satisfaction in Jesus. (Psalm 37:4)

If I still make decisions based on what I think is right, using my own understanding, advice from others or selfish ambition to spur me along, I am acting as if I'm my own boss.  This old way is not my only alternative, as I now know the One who holds the blueprint for my life.  (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

Instead of living to myself and what makes me happy, I now can take on my new mission; to glorify God by doing the good He has prepared especially for me to do!  (Ephesians 2:10)

My new life in Christ comes with a fresh purpose that brings new meaning to my days.

Knowledgeable in God

I read about an incident where a pastor was asked how he came to know God.  He said, "Son, I was driving down the road one day and heard birds chirping, and I knew then, I knew God." (from Share Jesus Without Fear by William Fay, pg 103)

While nature does give us insight into God's presence and character, it is not the same as actually getting to know Him personally through faith in Jesus Christ.  When I belong to Him through faith, I acquire a desire to know Him better.  The basics of my faith, drives me forward into His kingdom where I learn to live in a way that honors God.

When circumstances seem impossible as the bills mount, relationships crumble and grief threatens to engulf, I can live joyfully due to the hope I have in my God who is able.  All resources are at His disposal, no heart is too hard for Him to soften and comfort is His specialty. (Psalm 50:10, Psalm 51:10-12, 2 Corinthians 1:3-5)

When affliction comes, bringing with it fear and uncertainty, I will find courage at my disposal to move forward as I remember the fruit of persecution. (Hebrews 10:32-36, Romans 5:3-5)  From this suffering comes patient and unswerving endurance, maturity of character, and hope in eternity.  These are benefits gained nowhere else but in the school of difficulties.

For the times when I feel like giving up, I will stand firm in prayer, witnessing the hand of God as He moves in response to my pleas.  My faith grows as I see the ways He comes through, consistently meeting my needs and answering my prayers. (James 5:16)

My new life in Christ leads to a knowledge of God that brings with it the tools to live a godly life.


Thankfully, the transformation that occurs in my life as I begin anew in Christ is not like what was experienced in Stephen King's thriller.  Instead, I can choose to be led by God's Spirit, take on my new identity and take seriously the knowledge God gives me about His kingdom.  In this way I will truly see how I was born for a new life.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will choose to pay attention to God's lead.

When do I go my way, ignoring God's teachings.

How am I doubting in God's ability to provide for my needs? 


No comments:

Post a Comment