The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Ready

"When we heard this, we and the people there pleaded with Paul not to go up to Jerusalem.
Then Paul answered,
'Why are you weeping and breaking my heart?
I am ready not only to be bound,
but also to die in Jerusalem
for the name of the Lord Jesus.'
When he would not be dissuaded,
we gave up and said,
'The Lord's will be done.'
After this, 
we got ready and went up to Jerusalem."
Acts 21:12-15



He was arrested for telling others about Jesus.  Even though he lived in Iran, a country known for it's harsh position against religious freedom, Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani took a stand for Christ. I'm sure, as one who is familiar with the teachings of Jesus, he knew the risk involved in living for Christ in a Muslim land. (John 15:20)  Despite the danger, however, he counted his calling to preach the gospel as more important than his life. (Acts 20:24)

Despite his readiness to give his all for Jesus, there were many who committed themselves to his liberation.  When they were successful in negotiating for his release from the prison where he had spent three years awaiting execution, the American Center for Law and Justice who worked with the State Department to arrange for his freedom issued a statement that said, "International attention to this matter saved this man's life, but we must not forget the human right of freedom of religion includes the right to freedom of expression." *

Because human rights are very important to all freedom loving people, it is hard to understand the stance Paul took on the prophecy that he would be bound by the Jews in Jerusalem and handed over to the Gentiles. (Acts 21:11) He submitted to this loss of freedom as part of God's will.

While I can't speak directly on Pastor Youcef's case, it does seem clear in Scripture that we are to expect the same kind of treatment he received from a world that does not accept Jesus. (Matthew 10:22) Even though it is my natural reaction to protect those like the Iranian Pastor from inhumane treatment,  God does prepare us, like He did for Paul, for what is to come.  Then I will be ready for the fulfillment of God's will and will desire it above all else.

My Rights

In 1789, during the establishment of the government of the newly formed United States of America, Congress proposed what we call the Bill of Rights as amendments to the Constitution to protect the rights of citizens against the tyranny of government.  These rights include freedom of religion, speech and the press; the right to assemble and bear arms; as well as protection against unreasonable search and seizure of private property, among other civil liberties. **

As an American, I was brought up to respect and fight for my rights.  As a Christian, however, my life is no longer considered to be my own to do with as I please.  Instead, I belong to Jesus, being bought at the price of His death on a cross which paid the penalty for my sin.  (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)  I need to change the way I think, exchanging my expectation of freedom, liberty, fair treatment and respect with an expectation for the fulfillment of God's plan. 

Instead of standing up for myself when mistreated by a coworker,then, I can submit to Jesus and love her despite her cruel treatment. (Matthew 5:44)

Instead of making sure I get my fair share, I can submit to Jesus and look out for the needs of others above my own. (Philippians 2:3-4)

Instead of looking for the easy or most profitable way, I can submit to Jesus and take the rocky, narrow path that leads to life. (Matthew 7:14)

God's will trumps my rights.

My Life

I have always been a pretty careful person.  I never wanted to ride a motorcycle, didn't like climbing up on the roof where I might fall off, and basically avoided danger at all costs.  I did fall out of a tree one time, but that was about the extent of my dare devil nature.  I am very concerned with saving my life.

I imagine that if one of my family members were in danger, I would do what I had to do to save them without regard to my own safety.   I have done this when I chased a dog away from my daughters or stepped out in traffic to protect a child.  For the most part, however, I do not go looking for danger.

When it comes down to risk, I try to minimize danger of any kind.  God, however, is all about getting me to step out of the place where I feel comfortable and stretch my faith-muscles.

For instance, I wouldn't mind teaching a small class, but would I take a step of faith and speak at a conference if He asked?  I feel pretty confident in my ability to run in my neighborhood, but would I take a step of faith and compete in an obstacle course race designed by Marines if He placed that challenge before me?  I love writing my blog, but would I take a step of faith and respond to a request to talk about it on a radio show?

My life is not more important than God's name being glorified.  As one who claims to follow Christ, I can submit to Him out of love for the One who died for me so that I can live an abundant life.  This full, rich life is not just for my own pleasure, it is to ultimately bring glory to God.  If I only do what I am able to do, how will people give the credit to God?  In order for this to happen, the things I do must be generated from Him, by Him and for Him!

God's will trumps my life.

Sympathy

Sympathy is defined as, "feelings of pity or sorrow for someone else's misfortune."  While it is easy for me to feel sorry for the homeless man on the street, the single mom struggling to make ends meet, or the orphan boy who is picked on in school, "sympathy" is a word that I can't find in my Bible.  

Sometimes my concern for others can go against the work God is doing in the lives of those I pity.  He could be showing the homeless man his need for Jesus by taking him to the end of his own rope.  Maybe the single mom is growing in her faith as she trusts God to provide, or the orphan boy is gaining an inspirational testimony as he lets God be his protector.  If I step in simply out of sympathy, I could block the hand of God.

In the same way, well-meaning folks can get in the way with what God is doing in my life as well.  If I'm struggling in my finances, the advice to seek a debt-consolidation loan may seem like a good idea, but could keep me from learning the lesson God planned for my time of difficulty.  

If God intends to take me through a spiritual desert to grow my faith in a way that nothing else would, a sympathetic voice of concern at the current lack of fruit in my life could plant a seed of doubt in my heart.  

If pain is my constant companion, a friend may be tempted to offer herbal remedies to bring relief to my suffering, essentially getting in the way of how God is training me to rely on His comfort.

Even though things can look bad, we can be sure that God is using it for the good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28) Therefore, there is no need for me or anyone else to step in and help unless the call to act comes from the compassion of God flowing through me.

God's will trumps the sympathy of the human heart.


There is a lot of suffering involved in a life lived for Christ.  Consequently, I must remember to desire His will above all else.  In this way I will minimize the importance of my rights, my life and the effects of sympathy, making myself ready for whatever God has planned to bring glory to Himself in my life.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will trust God and His plan above all else.

When do I think my rights are so important that I don't even consider what God may be doing or allowing?

How can my concern for others get in the way of what God is doing?  




http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09/08/christian-pastor-jailed-in-iran-for-3-years-is-freed-watchdog-group-says/#ixzz2HUiIeWUx

No comments:

Post a Comment