The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, January 11, 2013

Beautiful Feet

"I am not ashamed of the gospel,
because it is the power of God
for the salvation of everyone who believes:
first for the Jew,
then for the Gentile."
Romans 1:16


An institute of higher learning that sets itself apart in many ways is Cornell University.  One of the most interesting differences is that it does not affiliate itself with or endorse any particular religious beliefs. While most Ivy League schools were founded by a particular church, this institution of higher learning prides itself on its culture of inclusiveness which welcomes and embraces many religious views including Buddhism, Hinduism, Humanism, Islam, as well as several denominations of Christianity.

In its quest to provide a diverse and welcoming environment, this university has chosen to stand for nothing, instead accepting all beliefs as truth.  It seems this attitude is a common one found in our modern culture.  Everyone is very supportive of alternative lifestyles, a variety of faiths and the right to think freely, but if I were to make a statement of fact that betrays my belief in an ultimate truth and a single, distinct Truth-giver, I am labeled as a narrow-minded extremist.

It is easy to see how I could feel reluctant to share the gospel of Jesus Christ which runs counter to the accepting nature of the society in which I live.  When I come to terms with the fact that the gospel is offensive in it's exclusive nature yet holds the power to save, I will no longer be ashamed.

Sin

As twenty-first century humans, we like to think of ourselves as basically good.  Nowhere is this more evident than in the work of Ray Comfort who has created a video called "180"  in which he talks with people on the street, leading them into a discussion about their need for Jesus.



    As people answer his questions, they realize they are not as good as they think they are.   Human nature dictates that we hold a higher opinion of ourselves than we ought, scoring ourselves pretty high on a "good/bad" scale.  As Ray vividly portrays, our judgement does not stand compared to God's, and its ultimately His that matters.

The Bible is clear when I read in Romans 3:23 that everyone sins and not one of us meets God's standard of perfection that is necessary to gain eternal life.  If I want to make it into heaven based on my own merits, I am helpless to succeed.

If I continue on in Paul's letter to the believers living in Rome, I find that my sin earns death.  The consequence of me breaking any one of God's rules and falling short of His benchmark is death. (Romans 6:23)  The payment that is required for me offending God by not perfectly following His law is my life.  Because of my sin, I am on death row.

The world teaches me, however, that I am basically good.  I remember an effective demonstration my pastor used during a sermon when I was a new believer.  He held up two pieces of paper; one creme-colored and the other grey.  In comparison to the darker paper, the lighter one looked pure white.  This is how it is when I compare myself to others or to my own standard: I come out looking pretty pure. 

God, however, holds His own set of criteria.  When I compare myself to His holy, perfect standard, which my pastor portrayed by holding my creme-colored paper against a pure white one, I look dinghy and unclean.  Next to God, I'm not good enough. (Psalm 130:3)

Without a clear understanding of my sinful nature, I will not see my need for a Savior.

Justice

It's easy to talk about God's love nature: He loves me, He desires for me to live in relationship with Him, there is nothing I can do to lose His love.  Love is a beautiful thing.

This, however, is not the only side of God to consider.  While it is the most pleasant and popular, love is only part of who God is.  He is also a perfectly just God. (Psalm 7:11)  He demands blood to be spilled in order for grace to be given through the atonement of my sins.  (Leviticus 17:11)

I have a friend who is of the Muslim faith who couldn't understand why I wouldn't charge for an afterschool program we offered in our home.  When I explained that God had led us to offer it for free, she replied, "Well, with all the good you do in the community I'm sure He would overlook your doing it your way just this once."  This is a common way of thinking, but it goes against God's holy nature. 


God cannot arbitrarily dismiss my sins anymore than a judge sitting on a bench can let a murderer go free simply because he wants to extend grace and give the man another chance.  There must be some sort of punishment according to the law of the land. Even more so with God, there must be a penalty paid for my sin according to His just nature.  He doesn't pass judgement out of spite, bitterness or disappointment.  Instead, a sentence is handed down simply due to God's sense of justice.

Grace, therefore, is not possible without blood being spilled to account for each sin.  Scripture reveals that, "the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness." (Hebrews 9:22)  Just as the angel of death only passed over the homes in Egypt whose doorways were covered by the blood of a lamb without blemish, so I can only avoid the death my sins deserve because of the blood of the Perfect Lamb; Jesus. (Exodus 12:23)

Each sin must be accounted for with blood according to God's holy nature: Either my blood, or Jesus' blood.

Jesus

The girl kicked her feet with all her might, but still her head kept sinking down below the surface of the murky lake.  She had gone there with her family to escape the summer heat, but had ventured too far from the shallow area.  Suddenly, the ten-year-old found herself in water that was above her head.  Without the knowledge that comes from taking a swimming lesson, she thrashed her arms and legs, hoping to stay afloat.  Unfortunately, all her efforts accomplished was to fatigue her muscles and panic her heart.

This girl needed a savior.  There was no way for her to save herself.  Thankfully, a nearby swimmer was paying attention and came to her rescue, saving the girl from certain death.  In the same way, I am completely incapable of solving the dilemma my sin and God's sense of justice creates.  I can't be good enough, no matter how hard I try, and God is unable to go against His just nature.  Who will save me from this body of death?  (Romans 7:24)

Thanks be to God for Jesus Christ my Lord! (v 25)  He took the punishment for my sins so that I have the hope of eternal life with Him!  (Romans 5:8, John 3:16)  In fact, salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." (Acts 4:12)  My good effort cannot save me, Buddha cannot save me, Muhammad cannot save me, meditation and a quest for peace cannot save me.  Jesus is my only hope for salvation against God's wrath.

Jesus himself said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6)  God teaches exclusiveness, not inclusiveness.  His compassion drives me to seek out those who are lost and share the reality of God's nature and the Good News of His plan of salvation that comes to those who believe.

Jesus is the only One who can save me from the sin to which I am bound and the punishment God's just nature requires.


Living in a world of inclusive diversity breeds trepidation and trembling within many-a-heart.  God, however, "has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV)  With these gifts, I can impart the truth to those who are looking for it by sharing the reality of sin, the full nature of God that requires the shedding of blood, and the miracle of a Savior in Jesus Christ.  Then my feet will be considered beautiful as I bring this good news to those who seek it. (Isaiah 52:7)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will let go of the fear that keeps me quiet and say the words that can set the captives free.

When do I let the harshness of the message of the gospel keep me from sharing it for fear of stepping on toes?

How does the culture of inclusiveness seem more loving than the true love Jesus demonstrated on the cross?

No comments:

Post a Comment