The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Spirit of Life

"Therefore,
there is now no condemnation for those
who are in Christ Jesus,
who do not live according to the sinful nature
but according to the Spirit,
because through Christ Jesus
the law of the Spirit of life
set me free from the law of sin and death.
. . .Who is he that condemns?
Christ Jesus, who died--more than that,
who was raised to life--
is at the right hand of God
and is also interceding for us.
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
Shall trouble or hardship or persecution
or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
. . .No, in all these things we are more than conquerors
through him who loved us."
Romans 8:1-2, 34-35, 37

I've heard stories of people who thought they could have it all;  There is the con man who lures a woman into falling in love with him so he can take advantage of her vulnerable state and bilk her of all her assets.  Or there are the businessmen who entice politicians to pass laws that would benefit their company.  Then there are the women who claim to stand for a woman's right to make her own health care decisions but deny that same privilege to their unborn child.  In every case, these people tried to act one way but live another.  Their hypocrisy betrayed their true master: Self.

When I commit my life to Jesus, I reap an everlasting benefit in freedom from death and hope for an eternal home with Him.  I am also promised a powerful bond with the love of Christ that nothing can break.  Is there anything that is expected of me?  If I truly experience His love can I go on living as if nothing has happened, continuing in my old ways?

If I truly have invited Jesus into my life to act as my Lord and Savior, then I will experience the Spirit of a whole new life.

Sinful

The caterpillar crawled along the leaf, munching it's crunchy goodness to feed his belly and nourish his fast-growing body.  He is limited in his mobility by his long, accordion-like body and multiple tiny legs, keeping him on the one plant where his mother first laid his egg.  He can never travel and see the world around him until he emerges from the pupa, or chrysalis as an entirely new creature.  The miraculous metamorphosis that takes place transforms him from a plump, awkward larva to a graceful, attractive butterfly.  Now he can live as the creature God intended for him to become.

In the same way, I am transformed into a new creature when I commit to Jesus as my Lord.  As the Amplified Bible interprets 2 Corinthians 5:17, "The old (previous moral and spiritual condition) has passed away."

My past sins, former way of thinking, and previous state as an enemy of God are all part of the old me. (Isaiah 1:18, Romans 12:2, Colossians 1:21)  If I choose to continue living my way, however, as if nothing has changed, it is as if I am not even saved.  I am still acting as one who is sinful and hostile to God. (Ephesians 4:22)

When I have a chance to react in love when treated poorly, then, I go back to my old ways and lash out in anger and self-righteousness.  I think, How dare you treat me that way!  The opportunity to show the compassion and mercy of God is lost.

When God sends a hurting soul who needs guidance and comfort, I retreat to my old position of sticking to my schedule and placing my tasks before my calling.  The chance I had to administer   reassurance through the truth found in God's Word was lost.

When things look hopeless and my circumstances seem impossible, I do as I always have and fret about what could happen, turning my body into a mass of pain and suffering.  The opening God had provided for me to trust Him passed right on by.

I must realize that as a believer in Christ Jesus, I must purposefully turn away from my old way of thinking, speaking and acting.  These are parts of my old self.  If I insist on living the way I used to live, it is important for me to understand that I will reap what I sow.  (Galatians 6:7)  God will not protect me from the consequences of my actions because He shows no favoritism. (Romans 2:9-11)  I am held accountable for how I choose to live. (2 Corinthians 5:10)

To live as if I've received the new life promised to me, I must put off the old, sinful ways.

Control

My husband received a remote-controlled helicopter from his brother last year for his birthday.  After charging the battery, we took it outside to take it for a spin.  It was pretty fun trying to raise it up in the air and make it hover without crashing into something (or someone).  The frustrating part, however, was that only one person could control the craft at a time.  

Just as this small model could only have one pilot at a time, so my life can only submit to one lord.  If I insist on acting as that leader, then God cannot.  The thing about God is that He is not a bully.  He does not force His way into my life, demanding His rightful place.  Instead, He is a gentleman, waiting for me to invite Him.  

When I see trouble coming down the pike and take immediate action in order to avoid disaster, I've left God out in the cold, denying Him the lordship I claim to have given Him.

When I go after what I want without a thought to God's sovereign plan, I've given control to myself instead of the Master Planner.

When I seek the advice of others when relationships turn sour but fail to acknowledge God, I deny the only One who can mend a broken heart and heal the wounds that drive people apart.

Jesus said, "No one can serve two masters.  Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other." (Matthew 6:24a)  If I claim to follow Jesus, I must let Him lead or I betray the identity of my true master: Me!

To live as if I've received the new life promised to me, I must give God control of all things.

Sonship

My sister and her husband are foster parents.  Every time they take in a child, whether it be for the short term or the long haul, they consider the youngster to be their own son or daughter.  Bloodline or length of time spent in their family matters not.  Instead, the love of God compels them to include any child that is taken in as a part of the family.

Similarly, God's love offers a place for me in His family.  There are no requirements of time served, righteousness obtained or abilities mastered.  On the contrary, I am invited because I trust in Jesus as my Savior.  The blood Jesus shed on the cross is the only prerequisite for entrance into this kinship.

God's Spirit gives me the assurance of my place in His family, helping me to feel comfortable and at ease in this new position.  (Romans 8:16)  As I become accustomed to the ways of my Father, I grow in my desire to obey Him out of the love that grows in my heart.  When I do as He instructs, I find that my life is blessed in many ways.  Even though hard times come, my Father is always there for me, protecting me, guiding me and strengthening me.

Troubles that used to consume me, sending me into a frenzy of anxiety, now serve as opportunities to see the power of my Father.

Activities that used to bring much pleasure now are seen as an affront to the One whom I serve as I find other ways to find enjoyment.

Difficult circumstances come as I grow in my faith, but I learn that my Father sends them as a tool to grow my faith.

To live as if I've received the new life promised to me, I must live as a child of God.


When Jesus becomes my Lord and Savior that is not the end, but only the beginning.  From there I cannot continue to live in my old ways and retain control of my life and still call myself a follower of Christ.  Instead, I only move forward in the Spirit of life when I live as one who is adopted into the family of my heavenly Father.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will put off the old way of living and take on my new position in God's family.

When do I continue in old patterns without even trying to turn away from them?

How am I defiantly insisting on controlling my own destiny?  

No comments:

Post a Comment