The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Righteousness Reigns

"Nevertheless,
death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses,
even over those who did not sin by breaking a command,
as did Adam,
who was a pattern of the one to come.
. . .Consequently,
just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men,
so also the result of one act of righteousness
was justification that brings life for all men.
For just as through the disobedience of the one man
the many were made sinners,
so also through the obedience of the one man
the many will be made righteous.
The law was added so that the trespass might increase. 
But where sin increased,
grace increased all the more,
so that, just as sin reigned in death,
so also grace might reign through righteousness
to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Romans 5:14, 18-21



The movie Spider-Man 3 presents an interesting dilemma with the transformation of the hero's once crimson suit to black.  Suddenly, Peter Parker finds that when he yields to it's appeal, he is empowered to live according to the evil that is within.  Instead of living heroically, then, he begins to give in to his desire for revenge and sinks to a new low.

Just as this darker version of Spider-man is a kind of study in opposites compared to his good alter-ego, so is Adam a pattern in reverse of Jesus.  Taking a moment to study the contrasts between the two will reveal the power of righteousness that reigns in the life of every believer.

Trespass vs. Act of Righteousness

The fruit seemed so innocent dangling from the tree.  It does look juicy and sweet.  What harm could come from just a bite?  Besides, I could use a bit of adventure.  If what the Serpent says is true, I won't really die. . . just know the difference between good and evil.  What's so bad about that?

In a moment of curiosity and carelessness, Eve offered the forbidden fruit to Adam and sin entered the world.  What once was pristine and perfect became flawed and spoiled.  The relationship that was created to be whole and without fear transformed into shame- and guilt-based.  Where peace and goodness once ruled, now toil and turmoil reigned.  The earth as God created it was now broken. (Genesis 3)

Sin resulted in a guilty sentence of death for all humans, dooming each of us to eternal separation from the One for whom we were made.  All creation groans under the burden of sin. (Romans 8:22)

In contrast, the innocent man hung painfully on the tree.  He does not deserve this penalty; He never did anything wrong.  He lived a perfect life, so why does He have to die?  I have seen evil, and this man is not evil:  This is a good man who died a needless death.  What's wrong with this picture? (Matthew 27:45-56)

The guards who stood watch over the crucifixion of Christ and witnessed the violent earthquake and darkening of the sun at his death, and even Pilate who washed his hands of Jesus' death, must have known in their hearts that something was different about this execution.  This man was no ordinary man.

In a moment of excruciating pain and suffering, Jesus willingly took my sins upon himself, taking the wrath of God in my place.  The punishment that I deserved, He endured out of love for me.  Just as the sin of Adam resulted in the fall of mankind and ruin of all of creation, so the sacrifice of Jesus results in the justification of mankind and the hope of a renewed creation when He comes again. (Revelation 21:1-5)

Now, through faith in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior I can enjoy a relationship with my Father in heaven and look forward to the day when all things will once again exist as God once created it to be.

The power of righteousness results in new life and right standing with God.

Disobedience vs. Obedience

"Eat anything you want.  I have provided a wide array of food for you to enjoy.  Explore; discover the variety of options.  The only thing off-limits is the tree located in the center of the garden.  It is called the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and of it's fruit you must not eat, or death will be yours." (paraphrased from Genesis 2:16-17)

This seems fair enough: an entire garden-filled with good things to eat with only one exception.  Temptation soon came through Satan in the form of a Serpent, and the result of man breaking the only law that existed was the new label of "sinner" for all of mankind.  From then on, every baby born was now known as a sinner.  What hope is there for the people whom God created?

In contrast knelt the man in the garden.  Blood dripped from His brow as He considered the suffering that lay before Him.  "If there is any other way for You to accomplish Your will, please save me from my fate.  Above all things, however, I desire You, Father, to get your way for Your glory." (paraphrased from Luke 22:39-46)

The humility of Christ that led to His obedience on the cross of Calvary resulted in a different label to cover up my identity as "sinner." (Philippians 2:8)  Through faith in this perfect Lamb of God, I am now known as "righteous."  Instead of being bound to sin, I have the option of enslaving myself to Christ and living for Him instead of myself.  (Romans 6:16-19)

The power of righteousness results in my new identity as one who is acceptable to God and brought into right standing with Him.

Law vs. Grace

The stone tablets weighed heavily upon his back as Moses trudged down the hill.  The cacophony of revelry grew louder with every step, making the law he carried feel even more burdensome.  How can any of us stand before such a holy God? (see Exodus 32)

The only thing the law that God gave through Moses accomplishes is to show me the extent of my disobedience.  When I see the standard God expects from me, I realize how useless are my efforts to reach it: There is no way for me to be good enough to please God.  Living according to His law only leads to death as I realize the futility of my efforts. (Romans 4:13-15)

To illustrate the contrast, I think of a river of grace that flows from God to me.  The greater my sin, the heavier the flood.  The only thing the law does is to define my sinful nature, but the grace of God through faith in Jesus Christ results in an abundant life where I am right with God.  My sin  never overwhelms God's grace: the blood of Jesus always prevails.

There is no sin, or no number of sins, which is too much for Jesus to handle.  He already paid the price and His sacrifice was more than enough to cover my debt owed to God.  Jesus has overcome.  (Galatians 2:21, 1 Corinthians 15:56-57)

When I lived by what was right and wrong I led a life that led to death, but now that my sinful nature as been put to death with Christ, it's not me who tries to do what's right, but it is Christ who lives within me who pleases my Father.  (Galatians 2:20)

The power of righteousness makes righteousness within me possible.


Adam is a pattern in reverse of the Christ.  The first brought condemnation, my identity as a sinner and death.  The latter, however, produced justification, my new label as one who is righteous by faith, and the possibility of life.  In this way, righteousness can reign in my life through faith in Jesus Christ.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that more of Christ will be evident in my life.

How do I fail to fully accept my identity as one who has been made right with God?

When do I let sin rule instead of righteousness? 

No comments:

Post a Comment