The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Saturday, February 2, 2019

Merely Man

This post was originally published in October 2015.


"This is what the LORD says:
'Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans,
who rely on human strength
and turn their hearts away from the LORD.'"
Jeremiah 17:5 NLT



It's easy to be intimidated by those who oppose my faith, especially if they have credentials, power or position to bring me down.  The time is here when more and more Christians will be called to take a stand for our beliefs.  When it is me against the entire federal government, the state officials, or even the local school board, I may feel frightened when considering what they might do to me.  But I need not be afraid, for I have the Lord my God, and they are merely men (2 Chronicles 32:8).   Here's how I can be greatly encouraged as I stand firmly within God's blessing.

Trust.  There is much in which I can place my faith.  I can trust in political insiders who support my cause, or influential leaders who come alongside me, or cunning lawyers who take my case.  While these benefits may help me, I must not place my faith in them to save me.

Ultimately, it is God who has the power, influence and wisdom to save me.  Do I believe it?  Or are these only words I say out of habit or tradition?  I must walk forward in confidence with the understanding that He goes before me, He has my back, and He envelopes me with His sovereign power (Deuteronomy 31:8).  He literally hems me in (Psalm 139:5)!  If I really believe this, I will not doubt, will not fear, will not waver.

Blessed am I when I trust fully in God alone as my Savior.

Rely.  I can depend on man to make my case before the powers that be, believing if I have a well-crafted argument, justice will prevail.  I can count on the knowledge I have about the judge who may oversee my case, depending upon him to make a wise ruling.  I can bank on the support of other believers to hold me up during a difficult time of persecution.  While it may seem most important to have such benefits, I must not rely on them to sustain me.

Ultimately, it is God who has the might, not any man-made entity.  Even if it seems I have no hope, with God there is always a way through.  He has resources I know nothing about, ways I cannot fathom, power that is not of this world.  Therefore, I must place all my weight on Him, standing on the Solid Rock that will not let me down (Psalm 62:6-8).  

Blessed am I when I rely completely in God as my source of power.

Heart.  It's easy for my heart to become tainted by the beliefs, attitudes and corruption of this world.  I may start off being motivated by a passion for Jesus and a deep love for Him until another affection begins to draw me away from Him as my true devotion.  Or I close myself off from His leading, afraid to head down the path He is taking me on, unwilling to experience such hardship for His sake.  Or I resist the painful molding process as the Potter's hands attempt to fashion me into the image of His Son, chipping away all that doesn't belong.

It is then that I can cry out to God as David did, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and restore a right spirit within me" (Psalm 51:10).  Make me loyal to You again, Lord, led by a heart that desires to please You and You alone.  A heart that does not worry about what man may do, or how unpopular I may become, or how difficult the path may be.  A heart that only is concerned with Your opinion of me, desiring to hear those coveted words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant"( Matthew 25:21).  This is the kind of heart that He will cultivate within me when I submit to Him.  

Blessed am I when my heart is fully devoted to God as my greatest delight (Psalm 37:4).


Times are getting difficult and I must be prepared to take a stand for my faith.  When I do, I may feel intimated by the powers of this world that I face, feeling overwhelmed by their authority and influence.  It is then that I will do well to trust in God alone, rely completely on Him as my strength, and be driven by a heart that is fully devoted to Him.  When I do, I will say with confidence that if God is for me, who can stand against me (Romans 8:31-34)?  Whoever tries is merely man!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that God will be my greatest hope.

When do I trust more in human power than in God's?

How am I afraid to go against the status quo?  
  


No comments:

Post a Comment