The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, February 11, 2019

Heart of Flesh

Originally published on April 30, 2012

"I will give you a new heart 
and put a new spirit in you;
I will remove from you
your heart of stone
and give you a heart of flesh."
Ezekiel 36:26


September has always been a special month for me.  Not only is it the month of my birth, but as a child and even as a homeschool mother, I always enjoyed the beginning of the new school year.  The preparation for the upcoming year brought a sense of hope and excitement to my days as I purchased new clothing and supplies, preparing myself for the challenges that lay ahead.

As the first day of school approached during my junior high and high school years, I would organize my notebook, making new dividers and filling it with fresh paper and pencils.  I then would turn my attention to my attire, deciding which outfit I would wear for the first day.  Often, I would get a pair of new shoes and somehow, this made me feel like a brand new person tackling a brand new school year.  

In the same way that my fresh, never-before-worn clothes and virgin pencils groomed me for the new classes I was about to face, the new heart of flesh that God has given me through faith in Jesus Christ prepares me for living my life as a member of the family of God.

Empowered Obedience

A friend of mine recently gave a great visual of the battle that occurs between my spirit and God's Spirit as described in Galatians 5:17.  "The sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature.  They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want." 

My friend likened this contrariness, this conflict to a tug-of-war between me and God. As God's Spirit moves me in His direction, my flesh pulls back against Him, pulling me in the opposite direction. The only way for me to go in God's direction is for me to stop pulling and let Him lead me.  If I drop the rope altogether, giving up the fight and surrendering my will to Him, I can freely walk along with Him.  

As one who has been provided through Christ with a tender and responsive heart (Ezekiel 36:26), I am given the ability to withstand the temptation to do things my way.  The grace of God which constantly flows through me from His indwelling Spirit empowers me to, "offer the parts of (my) body to him as instruments of righteousness.  For sin shall not be (my) master, because (I) am not under law, but under grace." (Romans 6:13-14)  Either I choose to give myself over to the pull of God, or the influence of sin.  

Each time I sense the tug of God leading me in His direction, there will be the temptation for my flesh to fight against Him.  But thanks to God's grace abundantly found in my life and manifested through His Son's death on the cross, I have the option and ability to drop the rope, giving in to God's will.  When I submit, the fruit of the Spirit are produced and there is no law against these things! 

I don't have to try harder to be good and please God, rather I have to nail, "the passions and desires of (the) sinful nature to his cross and (crucify) them there."  (Galatians 5:24 NLT) Or, as 17th Century Puritan preacher Peter Bulkeley said, "If God be God over us, we must yield him universal obedience in all things.  He must not be over us in one thing, and under us in another, but he must be over us in everything."  

I am empowered to obey by the grace of God when I submit to Him and allow Him to lead me.

Godly Devotion

Our neighbors own a huge German Shepherd who looks quite intimidating but who is actually a big baby.  He's gentle, calm and pretty laid back. . . until his owner brings out the beloved tennis ball.  Then he turns into the fetching machine, never taking his eyes of the yellow orb.  Nothing can distract him from the job at hand; squirrels, food, other dogs, they all fade into the background as the ball takes center stage, monopolizing his attention.  He's all about his ball.

In the same way, I am called to be wholly devoted to God.  He may allow a variety of attractive belief systems or alluring distractions to come my way in order to test me "to find out whether (I) love him with all (my) heart and with all (my) soul.  It is the LORD (my) God (I) must follow, and him (I) must revere.  Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him."  (Deuteronomy 13:3-4)

This kind of devotion comes with maturity as we progressively work toward, "attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.  Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of men in their deceitful scheming."  (Ephesians 4:13-14)  Growing in my walk with God means I will gradually become more Christ-like, little-by-little gaining an immunity to distractions.  The goal is to become like my neighbor's dog; all about my God!

As I cultivate my personal relationship with God through faith in Christ, I will increasingly develop my devotion for Him and Him alone.

Spontaneous Love

Have you ever tried really hard to love someone, especially someone who is particularly prickly?  I have. . . and it doesn't work.  I just don't have it in me to love like God loves me!  

I like the way Oswald Chambers put it in his entry for April 30th in My Utmost for His Highest:  "Love is not premeditated, it is spontaneous, i.e., it bursts up in extraordinary ways.  There is nothing of mathematical certainty in Paul's category of love.  We cannot say--'Now I am going to think no evil; I am going to believe all things.'  The characteristic of love is spontaneity.  We do not set the statements of Jesus in front of us as a standard; but when His Spirit is having His way with us, we live according to His standard without knowing it, and on looking aback we are amazed at the disinterestedness of a particular emotion, which is the evidence that the spontaneity of real love was there.  In everything to do with the life of God in us, its nature is only discerned when it is past."

It is not my effort that produces a loving attitude or loving acts, rather it is in extension of God's Spirit working through me.  "God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."  (Romans 5:5)

As I let God's Spirit have it's way in me, I will find that the irritation I used to experience when dealing with a certain difficult personality has vanished and in it's place is patience and gentleness.

When I let go and let God, it will become apparent that my previous penchant for perfection and high expectations for others' actions has been replaced by a desire to let go of past failures and to always hope, believing with faith that things will get better.

If I follow God where He leads, I will soon see that circumstances and situations that used to anger me and send me into a tailspin now have no affect on me.  My blood does not boil and I'm no longer compelled to chew someone out, defending my position.  

Love comes as a natural extension of God Spirit as He becomes greater and I become less and will show up unprompted in ways I can't explain.  


God is the craftsman of my new heart.  Only He can, "Create in me a clean heart. . . and renew a right spirit within me."  (Psalm 51:10)  And with this heart of flesh I am empowered to obey God, to be wholly devoted to Him and to love spontaneously.  In this way, I am growing "in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church."  (Ephesians 4:15 NLT)


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will let go and let God have His way in my life this moment.

When do I insist on having my way, thus preventing God to love others through me?

How do I hang onto my own desires, refusing to nail them to the cross?

No comments:

Post a Comment