The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

God's Omnipotence

"If God is for us,
who can ever be against us?"
Romans 8:31b NLT



It felt like he was being bound.  He had God-given dreams and aspirations which he was excited to bring to fruition, but at every turn she stood against him.  Even though he was doing nothing wrong, she fought him as if he were violating some kind of sacred trust.  Would he ever be able to pursue his passion in life without finding continuous opposition from his employer?

It sometimes feels like those who are supposed to be my friends are really my enemies.  Other times there are adversaries God has allowed into my life who oppose me, making it hard for me to follow the path God has laid out for me.  Sometimes I may even find myself as the target of some unseen conspiracy where my every action is met with resistance.  

When I face such hostility, the good news is found in Psalm 118:6 where the psalmist focused on God's sovereignty.  "The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid.  What can mere mortals do to me?"  Psalm 118:6  When it feels like I can't catch a break from man, I must remember the benefits of God's preeminence as well as His matchless love for me as His child.

God's Favor.  The high priest and his 70 members of the Jewish ruling council were out to get the apostles of Jesus Christ.  This governing body threw the men in jail, jealous of the attention they were receiving as they performed signs and wonders, healing the sick and driving out demons from those who were living in bondage.  Surely their message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ was heresy!

Still, the next morning these same men stood in the temple courts teaching all who would listen about this rebel Jesus Christ.  How did these jail birds escape?  When questioned, all they could say is God sent them and they must obey Him.  Then they had the audacity to accuse this sacred council of killing Jesus.  They could not let such claims go unpunished! (Acts 5:17-33)

Then came the voice of reason from one of their own.  The highly respected Gamaliel said, "Leave these men alone!  Let them go!  For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail.  But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."  (Acts 5:38-39)

When I am walking in obedience to the Lord's calling on my life, it doesn't matter who opposes me for God's favor surrounds me as a shield.  (Psalm 5:12)

God's Protection.  It seemed risky to follow this path God marked out for me.  If I did what He was calling me to do, how would I survive?  I had no resources, nothing upon which to fall back.  I felt like a fool for putting myself and my family in such peril.

It is easy to think that walking by faith instead of by sight is a foolish endeavor. (2 Corinthians 5:7) Since I can't see the ground before me, I assume I'm teetering on the edge of a cliff, about to plunge down to meet my demise.  As God's precious child, however, I am protected by His constant presence and His righteous right hand.  (Isaiah 41:10)

Instead of assuming the worst, then, I can expect the best.  In the place of envisioning what terrors await me around the next bend, I can wonder what goodness God has planned for me this day.  While it is natural for me to brace myself against the difficulties I imagine are about to descend upon me, I can instead look forward to the blessings He has stored up for me.  (Psalm 31:19)

When I am doing as God called me to do, His mighty power protects me from harm.

God's Plan.  No one else had succeeded in opposing his efforts.  Until then, every sovereign nation he endeavored to conquer had fallen to his mighty army.  Why would the tiny nation of Judah be any different?  (2 Kings 18:13-37)

The Assyrian king Sennacherib was pretty confident in his ability to continue his plan of regional dominance by running over Judah.  Unfortunately for him, he did not know the power and sovereignty of the God of Judah.  While the other nations called on their gods but still fell, this people was different for they called on the One True God.

When God gives His marching orders, there is not one living, breathing human being who can stand against Him.  As Isaiah said, "When His hand is raised, who can stop Him?" (Isaiah 14:27)  Therefore, if I'm going in the direction in which God has pointed me, there is nothing anyone can do to thwart His plan for my life.  What, then, do I have to fear?

When I am walking the path God has marked out for me, His good plan will not be hindered, no matter how things might look.


Living life as a follower of Christ is not easy:  I often run into opposition of various kinds.  As a result, it is important that I keep God's omnipotent power always in mind, remembering that His favor shields me, His protection is over me, and His plan for my life cannot be frustrated.  With such benefits as these, I have nothing to fear.


As I begin this day may I keep God's omnipotent power always in mind.

When do I forget that God is in control?

How do I easily fall into periods of fear and doubt?  

No comments:

Post a Comment