The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Difference a Name Makes

Salvation is found in no one else,
for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind
by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12



My husband's name is pretty sweet-sounding to my ears.  I perk up when I hear the names of my mom, dad or sisters since they are important parts of my life.  When my daughters' names filter into my brain I sit up and take notice.  There are some names that stand out to me.

The name that is above all other names, however, is that of Jesus.  As my Savior and Lord, He has made all the difference in my life.  How so?  I'd love to tell you!

Forgiveness.  The name of Jesus has introduced the concept of forgiveness into my sinful life.  Since I have no hope of saving myself from the punishments my sins have earned me, the blood of Jesus has delivered the forgiveness of a holy God straight to me. (Matthew 26:28)  This means that instead of an eternity of suffering and separation from True Love, I am now ushered into a kingdom where the King is also my Father.  (1 John 4:8, Romans 5:15-171 John 3:1)

Since I have been given such a wonderful gift through grace, I am empowered to pass it on to others.  This forgiveness is not just mine to hoard and treasure.  No!  Mercy was bestowed upon me so that I could bear with others in love, letting go of their shortcomings in the same way my transgressions have been removed far from me.  (Psalm 103:12, Ephesians 4:32, Colossians 3:12-13)  This power can transform relationships and mend bonds between even enemies!

The name of Jesus makes a difference in my life, supplying forgiveness where once there was only condemnation.

Provision.  Everyone else runs after what they need, scrambling to provide for their own life's requirements as well as that of their family's.  They run themselves ragged making sure needs are met.  Nights are spent agonizing over columns of numbers with the hopes that investments made are enough for retirement.  Most of their waking hours are dedicated to these worries of everyday life.

As one who has called upon the name of Jesus, however, I have a different focus.  Instead of being concerned with what I need, I am free to invest in God's kingdom, spending my waking hours on pursuits that will last an eternity.  How am I able to be free from the cares that keep others up at night?  Because of what Jesus has done for me, I have a Father who knows exactly what I need and who is faithful to provide those necessities. (Matthew 6:31-33

Therefore, the decisions I make during the day do not revolve around how I will pay the bills, put food on the table or take care of my family.  Instead, my attentions are on the things God values like pouring His love into a hurting world and delivering the saving message of the Gospel to all in need of hope.  Then I trust God to give me everything I need for life.

The name of Jesus makes a difference in my life, giving me a Father who is faithful to meet my needs.

Hope.  Cancer.  Bankruptcy.  Divorce.  Infidelity.  Scandal.  Terrorism.  Living in this fallen world is a struggle and downright unbearable at times.  When it seems like everyone is against me and things will never go right for me, it is easy to give up hope, wondering what is the point of getting up each day.  If all I had was what I could see around me, I would be miserable indeed.

Thankfully, there is much more to life than what I face on a daily basis.  Due to the sacrifice Jesus made for me, I have been given the hope of eternity with Him in a place made specially for me.  (John 14:2-3)  I have much to look forward to; treasures that surpass anything I could attain here on earth! (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)

The name of Jesus makes a difference in my life, granting me hope where otherwise there would be none.


Some names are just more precious to me than others.  None, however, compares to the One by which I am saved:  Jesus.  Through Him I have been granted forgiveness that can be passed on to others, the gift of a Father who takes care of me in ways I never could, and the hope of heaven.  All this is given freely through faith in Jesus Christ, the One whose name makes all the difference to me!


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can treasure the name of Jesus.

When do I lose hope when nothing seems to be going my way?

How do I run after what I need instead of letting God provide?   

No comments:

Post a Comment