The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Out of Pain

"Jabez was more honorable than his brothers.
His mother had named him Jabez, saying,
'I gave birth to him in pain.'
Jabez cried out to the God of Israel,
'Oh, that you would bless me
and enlarge my territory!
Let your had be with me,
and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.'
And God granted his request."
1 Chronicles 4:9-10



Jabez was born through great pain experienced by his mother.  Instead of his troubled beginnings coloring his life, God used it to propel Jabez to greatness in His kingdom.  Out of pain came a prayer that inspires millions.  What will come out of the pain in my life?

Character.  If it wasn't for the struggle of running out of money in the middle of nowhere, constant rejection when searching for housing, uncertainty of what tomorrow may bring and a period of homelessness, I would not be the person I am today.  Going through times of difficulty, pain and heartache bring about strength of character that cannot be gained any other way.  (Romans 5:3-5)

How else would I learn how to look beyond the problems and focus instead on Jesus and His power in my life (Luke 8:43-48)?  In what other way would I know how to keep in mind that God possesses a great and good plan for my life especially when it looks like everything is going wrong (Jeremiah 29:11-13)?  If things always went my way, would I ever get the chance to exercise the faith Jesus has given me, walking not by what I see but by what is unseen yet no less real (Hebrews 12:1-2)?

Out of the pain in my life comes character.

Faith.  It comes from Jesus and He is responsible for perfecting it.  It has the power to turn me away from fear, securing my belief in the God of the impossible.  It transforms my fleshly eyes into spiritual ones, giving me a view similar to that of my Father's.  

Without faith, I am unable to please God.  It gives me confidence in what I hope will happen, believing it will actually come to pass.  Faith gives me a kind of proof of things that I cannot see, as if the intangible were somehow plain as day. (Hebrews 11:1)  

This faith to which I cling in times of trouble delivers the power of Jesus into my life, providing a conduit for His healing touch, His gracious forgiveness and His transforming power  (Luke 7:50Mark 10:52Luke 18:42).  Waning faith inhibits His ability to bring about the change He came to deliver, limiting the flow of his power into my life (Matthew 17:19-20).

The thing about faith is that it weakens from lack of use.  If I'm not thrown into situations that are over my head, beyond my ability to handle, and that stretch my faith, it atrophies from lack of use.  When I face trouble, pain and heartache, I am being given the opportunity to trust God in new ways, breaking out into fresh territory where I will see Him in a new light.

Out of the pain in my life comes faith.

Inspiration.  Seeing her ability to weather the storms of life gives me confidence to step forward into my own unknown.  Hearing about the way he was able to keep walking ahead in the face of great danger inspires me to persevere when dealing with my own threats.  Learning of her willingness to trust God through her overwhelming pain encourages me to do the same when experiencing my own form of hurting.

There is something so powerful about hearing the story of a brother or sister in Christ who has endured much yet came out on the other side the better for it.  When I endure suffering, heartache or difficulties, it brings me into a more intimate position with my Father who desires to comfort me in the way no one else is able.  Once I experience His compassion, I have the ability to pass this same consolation on to others who are in a desperate state and need His loving touch (2 Corinthians 1:3-7).

We are meant to live in community with others and we draw strength from one another.  Pity the man who falls down by himself for he has no one to help him up (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10)!  When I share my struggles with others, I inspire them to carry on.  Similarly, when I am feeling lost and hopeless, I need another to come alongside and remind me of the truth through the victories they have experienced.

Out of the pain in my life comes inspiration.


No one likes to struggle or experience difficulty or sorrow.  When I do, however, I can be assured that God will use it for my good, building my character, growing my faith, and giving me inspiration to carry on (Romans 8:28).  In these ways, good comes out of the pain.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep God's greater purpose for my pain in mind as I struggle.

When do I give up hope in the face of great difficulty?

How can I keep my eyes on Jesus through the trial?

No comments:

Post a Comment