The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, July 28, 2014

Gatekeeper

"The gatekeepers were Shallum, Akkub, Talmon, Ahiman,
and their kinsmen (Shallum was the chief). . .
And they lodged around the house of God,
for on them lay the duty of watching,
and they had charge of opening 
[the temple] every morning."
1 Chronicles 9:17 & 27 ESV



It was a rough time.  Bands of robbers would come, attempting to steal the precious metals found throughout the temple.  Those who knew nothing of the Lord and His holiness or righteousness made light of His house, using it for their gain.  As a result, it was necessary to post guards assigned to watch the gates, keeping out those who would harm such a sacred place.  This was an essential duty and one in which they took seriously.

Today, thanks to Jesus Christ and His incredible sacrifice in setting aside His divine nature and coming to earth as a mere human in order to take my sin and it's punishment upon Himself, I am a temple of the Holy Spirit (Philippians 2:5-11, John 3:16-171 Corinthians 3:16-17).  As such, I would be wise to take on the duty of the gatekeepers, watching carefully the people, philosophies and pursuits that enter my heart and home.  

Living in such an open society as I do, it is easy to be tainted by the destructive ways of this world, letting anything and everything flow freely into my live and that of my family.  Therefore, it is necessary for me to take on the essential duty of the gatekeeper of my heart and home (Proverbs 4:23,Romans 12:2).

People.  Everywhere I go, I run into people.  Some I'm irresistibly drawn to.  Others repel me.  A few draw me closer to Christ, challenging me in my relationship with Him while most tempt me to fall away from my First Love.

Relationships are necessary in this world.  I was made to live in community with others. While I may not have complete control over which people with whom I come into contact, I do have the choice of who I allow into my close circle of influence.  Selecting godly friends and filtering out those with whom I may share interests and values but seem to work against my faith is vital to my walk with the Lord.  

If I'm more concerned with simply hanging out with people I like, then I will probably find myself spending a lot of time with those who either don't know the Lord or who live as if they don't.  If, however, I let the Lord choose my closest friends then I will find people whom are not only pleasant and a joy to be around, but are also good for my faith.  

As a temple of the Holy Spirit, it is important that I guard the gate of my heart and home from people who may lead me down the path of destruction (Matthew 7:13).

Philosophies.  Oprah has one.  Dr Phil uses his to counsel others in their lives.  My hairdresser is quick to reveal hers.  The President, while leader of all the people, is still swayed by his and leads the country according to it.

Each person to whom I listen has a worldview that shapes their beliefs.  Some think mankind if essentially good and can be trusted to do the right thing.  Others hold the view that enlightenment comes through effort and utilizing one's mind power.  Many think values are subjective, different for each individual according to their preferences while countless others think tolerance and freedom of expression are the common principles that tie us all together.

Whatever the belief a person holds, it shapes them and permeates every area of their life.  While most of us are not conscious of the influence our philosophies have on our choices and the fruit of our lives, it is nevertheless a major factor in deciding how we live.  

Therefore, it is vital for me to guard against those prevalent worldviews which are contrary to what God teaches in the Bible.  In order to do so, it is necessary for me to constantly filter through every belief that passes through my awareness, rejecting those that may sound good but fail the test of God's Word.  If it doesn't line up with what God has taught me, it has no business staying in my consciousness.

As a temple of the Holy Spirit, it is important that I reject those worldviews which run counter to the Truth of God's Word, even if it comes from someone I admire.

Pursuits.  There are many ways I can spend my time.  Mostly I choose what activities I will pursue based on my interests, it's popularity or for social reasons.  I don't usually even think about God when picking what to do with my free time let alone ask Him for guidance in utilizing this precious and limited resource.

The way I spend my time is a pretty good indicator of the health of my relationship with God.  If I fritter away the majority of my time in things meant to entertain, bring me pleasure or fulfill my desires, then it seems that I am lord of my own life.  If, however, I wisely invest my allotment of time in growing closer to Him, using His gifts to edify the church and in making Him known, chances are that Jesus is Lord.

No one is expected to spend every waking moment in selfless pursuits, but if my heart is bent toward pleasing myself instead of God, it is most likely that I treasure me more than Him.  If I find myself selfishly going after what I want instead of asking God what His plan is for me, it seems I'm my own god.  While there is nothing wrong with taking time out for myself, if I mostly think of myself as an independent being not reliant on God unless I'm desperate, then I have a problem.

As a temple of the Holy Spirit, it is important that I consider every minute of time as precious and an opportunity to grow closer in my relationship with a God who loves me.


While it is common to see security guards in our cities who watch for danger which threatens the safety of those who frequent a certain establishment, this modern-day gatekeeper's job is not as important as my duty to guard my heart and home from a different kind of threat.  I must watch for people who can lead me astray, philosophies which taint godly beliefs, and pursuits which waste my time.  In so doing, I will take my job as gatekeeper seriously and reap the benefits of such an effort.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes trained on the finish line, running only the race God as marked out for me.

When do I get distracted by what the world tends to run after?

How am I wasting my time with fleshly pursuits?  

No comments:

Post a Comment