The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Someone is Watching

"The king took his place of authority beside the pillar
and renewed the covenant in the LORD's presence.
He pledged to obey the LORD
by keeping all his commands, laws, and decrees
with all his heart and soul.
In this way,
he confirmed all the terms of the covenant
that were written in the scroll,
and all the people pledged themselves to the covenant."
2 Kings 23:3 NLT


No matter who I am, someone is watching me.  I may think I am living a private, autonomous life, but if I belong to Jesus then my faith has designated me as a leader. (Matthew 5:13-16)

I have influence over at least one other person.  When I make a move toward the Lord, they are inspired to follow.  When I drift away, they are swayed to do the same.  While living my life, I must keep in mind the eyes who are watching and the feet who are following.  I would be wise to take a cue from King Josiah and set a godly example.

Intentional.  He didn't just have some vague idea of righteous living.  He didn't brush his position as leader aside as unimportant.  Josiah, the king of Judah, intentionally pledged to live according to God's Word.  I can do the same.  Instead of letting life happen to me, I can enter the battle and take up the kingdom weapons of warfare.  (2 Corinthians 10:3-5)

This means I can think of my life as a ministry tool that can point others to Christ.  (2 Corinthians 9:13)  It also means I must walk in the Spirit, not trying to set a good example through my own effort but yielding to the lead of God's indwelling Spirit who is always guiding me and empowering me to do what pleases Him.  (1 Corinthians 2:4-5, Galatians 5:16)  Living intentionally also will mean I must surrender my desires to my Father, letting His will be done in my life, especially when I think I have it all figured out.  (Romans 6:13

In the same way that Josiah made a public covenant before the Lord, I can resolve to make my life a living sacrifice. (Romans 12:1-2)

Open.  He didn't make this resolution in the privacy of his own home.  He didn't protect himself from humiliation in case he failed by keeping this covenant strictly between God and himself.  Neither did he try to cover up yesterday's ignorance of God's Law, pridefully looking out for his own reputation or protecting his ego.

Instead, Josiah intentionally resolved to live according to God's word before the entire nation of Judah.  (2 Kings 23:2)  This covenant made in the presence of the Lord was completely public.  Similarly, when I become aware of how I have offended the Lord, I can let another believer know of my repentance, bringing my sin into the light where it's power can be destroyed.  (James 5:16)  Hiding my sin only serves to increase it's strength, providing a foothold for Satan to work in my life. (Ephesians 4:26)  accountability is vital for living the life that pleases the Lord.

In the same way that Josiah made a public covenant before the Lord, I can live transparently within the Body of Christ.

Start.  Josiah didn't think things over once he found the Book of the Covenant.  He didn't consider how he should deal with such findings.  In reality, he immediately sought out God's counsel.

I can take a lesson from Josiah, not sitting on my sin once I've discovered how I've failed.  It's easy to think I must wait for just the right time.  People wait a lifetime to come clean before the Lord, fearing His wrath or His disappointment.

Thankfully, through faith in Jesus I have a high priest who makes it possible to approach the throne of grace without fear, as one who belongs.  (Hebrews 4:14-16)  Due to the blood of Jesus, I am a child of the King, my sins though scarlet are washed white as snow.  (1 John 3:1, Isaiah 1:18)  Thanks to the sacrifice Jesus made, i can live as one who is forgiven.  (Ephesians 1:7, 1 John 5:9)  Therefore, now is the time to come before the Lord and do what is right.

In the same way that Josiah made a public covenant before the Lord, I can make a move toward Him today.

Others are watching the way I live my life, taking cues from me on how to negotiate life's potholes.  Therefore, I would be wise to live as Josiah did, making an intentional, public, immediate move toward the Lord.  When I do so, I will be leading others to do the same.

As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can be ever mindful of those who are watching me.

When do I live as if I have no one to whom I must answer?

How am I foolishly hiding my sin, giving it more power to flourish?


No comments:

Post a Comment