The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, July 14, 2014

Benefits of Good Instruction

“And Jehoash did what was right in the eyes of the LORD all his days because Jehoiada the priest instructed him.” 
2 Kings 12:2 ESV


                                          
She had no idea how to negotiate through the confusing labyrinth of modern society.  When it came to norms, she fell way outside what was commonly referred to as acceptable behavior.  This young woman who had been left as a young child in the woods to fend for herself knew only what she had learned on her own; she had no sense of manners, common courtesies or even language.  Therefore, she found it hard to fit in with everyone else.

In order to learn how to function in any society, it is important to have a teacher or mentor of some kind.  Similarly, the best way to learn of God’s kingdom and how to live in a way that pleases the Lord is to enlist the help of a godly mentor.  I am not designed to live in vacuum or as a self-sufficient loner but in community with other believers.

Learn.   Wise king Solomon begins his book of wisdom like this.  “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.” (Proverbs 1:7)  In order to live a godly life, I must be humble enough to take instruction easily:  It is important to be teachable as a child of God.

This means when I’m sure of my ways yet receive godly instruction that reveals my foolishness, a pliable heart will let go of my imprudent approach and adopt the wisdom found in my adviser’s words.  It also means I must think more of God’s goal for me to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ than in my right to govern my own life.  Additionally, I will never learn to submit to God Himself if I am unwilling to take advice from those He places in my life to guide me toward Him.

In order to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord, I will need to develop a teachable spirit.

Influence.   I become like those with whom I choose to associate.  Or, in the words of Paul the apostle, “Bad company corrupts good character.” (1 Corinthians 15:33)   I often use a vivid demonstration when teaching youth of this truth.  I have the young person stand on a chair while I position myself directly in front of them.  Then I ask them to pick me up and place me on the chair beside them.   Not surprisingly, they find this to be an impossible feat.  Then we switch places.  As I stand on the chair and they on the floor, I now instruct them to pull me down to their level.  This is an easy thing no matter the size of the child.  The moral?  If you hang out with friends whose morals are low, you will get pulled down to their level but you will never be successful in raising them up to a higher standard.

With whom I choose to spend my time is vital to my spiritual development.  If I surround myself with self-centered, money-driven people, I will become self-centered and driven by money.  If I spend more time with those whose god is exercise and good nutrition, I will elevate such healthy practices to an unhealthy pedestal where only God belongs.  If I hang out with mostly people whose lives are directed by common sense and the latest pop-psychology, I will forsake God’s instruction and follow man’s instead.

In order to do what is right in the eyes of the Lord, I will need to surround myself with those who enjoy a real, intimate relationship with Jesus Christ and who have professed Him as Lord of their lives.


I can be like Jehoash, one king who pleased God in the way he lead Judah.  In order to do so it is important that I find a mentor who can show me how to develop my relationship with the Lord.  Doing so, however, will only make a difference if I cultivate a teachable spirit as well as choose my friends wisely.  In so doing, I will find the benefits of good instruction.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can humble myself before the Lord so I will develop a teachable spirit.

When am I most apt to think I don’t need help?

How am I guilty of following my own way instead of God’s?   

No comments:

Post a Comment