The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Method for Coping

"Hezekiah received the letter 
from the messengers and read it.
Then he went up to the temple of the LORD and spread it out before the LORD."
2 Kings 19:14



Things looked bad.  Israel had already fallen to this arrogant aggressor and now he had set his sights on Judah.  All of her fortified cities were already under siege so it was time for Sennacherib, king of Assyria, to turn toward Jerusalem, attempting to sway the people's hearts away from their faithful leader.  If they turned against their own king, surely Judah would fall just as Israel did.

Instead of panicking or seeking advice from his advisers or attempting to further appease his enemy, Hezekiah chose a wise method of coping of which I can take as an example for hard times in my own life.

Go.  There are many sources to which I can turn in times of trouble.  There are people rich with insight and common sense who are ready and willing to dispense great counsel.  I also have many shrewd resources at my disposal which can be consulted in times of need.  Furthermore, I'm never at a loss to discover new findings from the latest scientific research that can provide fresh understanding into the root of my struggles.

Still, Hezekiah demonstrated the wisest action that can be taken in difficult times: Going to the Lord.  God is the only true Counselor.  No other source boasts wisdom that can ever compare.  Even the most insightful research is no match for the understanding that comes from the One who made me.

When I place all my eggs in His basket, expecting to receive the best answers from Him, He is faithful and generous in dispensing true wisdom.  (James 1:5-8)  There is really no other action which makes sense for me to take in hard times.  Still, I often fail to take such a simple step as running to my Father for help.

Just as Hezekiah went to the Lord, so I can make Him the foundation of my coping strategy for difficult times.

Unguarded.  I'm used to putting up a front, showing others what I think I should convey instead of being honest with how I actually feel.  Therefore, when it comes to the One who knit me together and knows each word before it even leaves my tongue, I tend to take the same tack. (Psalm 139:1-6) I find myself saying what I think is the right answer instead of telling Him how I really feel.  I often give Him platitudes instead of brutal honesty.  It feels better to say what I think He wants to hear instead of speaking the unbridled truth which could hurt His feelings.  

Thankfully, God is big enough to take my harshest criticism, to hold up under my biggest doubts and to stand firm even when I feel like I'm sliding into a dark abyss.  He is my Father who cherishes my deepest, darkest thoughts.  Even though He already knows what is going on inside of me, He prefers that I willingly share such intimacy with Him.

Just as Hezekiah laid everything bare before the Lord, so I can live transparently as I go through times that break my heart and strain my faith.

Glorified.  When I'm at a loss of what to do, it's natural for me to explore every possible avenue, making a list of pros and cons and choosing the solution that seems best for my situation.  It's easy to come up with my own plan of action when times get tough.  Often, I think doing something is better than waiting around for my life to completely fall apart.  It feels good to take positive action, doing what I think will help to turn my life around.

Unfortunately, anything I do under my own steam will only serve to draw attention to myself or the brilliance of mankind.  If, however, I waited on the Lord, looking to Him as the only way out of a tight place, He will get all the glory.  When God is allowed to deal with an issue in the way only He can, others will see that He alone is God.  When I limit Him by giving Him only partial dominion over my situation, not only will I be robbed of witnessing His amazing hand at work, but I will steal His glory.

Just as Hezekiah desired all the world to know that the Lord alone is God, so I can let God do as only He can in order to make the most of His name in all the earth.


My methods for coping are often self-destructive and not at all healthy.  When Hezekiah was in deep trouble, facing a conquering marauder who had the gall to mock the living God, this godly king demonstrated a great way of handling stress.  He went directly to the Lord, laying everything bare before Him and desiring nothing more than for all of mankind to know the might of the One True God.  His way of coping gives me an excellent example of how to handle trouble in my own life.  In fact I would say there is no better technique for managing stress.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will remember to run to God when the going gets tough.

How do I leave God as my last resort when times get hard?

When do I hide my true feelings from the One who loves me perfectly?     

No comments:

Post a Comment