The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Power of God's Word

"When the king heard what was written
in the Book of the Law,
he tore his clothes in despair."
2 Kings 22:11 NLT



God's Word is not like any other book; there is power found in it's words.  (Hebrews 4:12)  This power is not a strength or a force but more of an influence.  When I come into contact with the very words of God, they meddle with my spirit of independence, my sovereign nature, and my proclivity for sin.  I can either submit to it's authority or rebel against it, continuing to live as usual.  What happens when I humble myself before the Lord as king Josiah did?  (2 Kings 22)

Eyes are Opened.  There is a price associated with agreeing with God's Word.  When I submit to His ways, I begin to see the error of my own ways.  Until then, I think I'm doing a pretty good job of living my life in a way that is respectable and honorable.  I do what I think is good, measuring my behavior with my own yardstick.  When God's standard is revealed, however, it becomes apparent that my deeds are an offense to Him.

I used to think I was free from worry until God exposed my focused analysis of problems and the pursuit to find a solution for what it was in His eyes: anxiety.  Now I'm aware of my tendency to fret.  I also foolishly thought gossip was not something in which I indulged until God opened my eyes to the topic of conversation I often chose: talking about others and their problems.  Today I understand that my tongue is quick to gossip.  

When I humble myself before the Lord and submit to His Word, He will open my eyes to the true nature of my heart.

Action is Initiated.  Once I realize how much my behavior and heart attitudes offend God, I can't just let everything stay as it is.  Reading God's Word begs for change.  Unfortunately, I am powerless to modify my own behavior as evidenced by my many failures in this department.  The real transformation can only come when I cooperate with God's indwelling Spirit.  When I allow God to change my way of looking at things as well as the actions that follow, I will find a more organic conversion taking place.  (Philippians 2:13

Instead of behavior modification, then, I will find total transformation as I let God have His way in my life.  (Romans 12:2)  Fodder for worry is transformed into opportunities to pray as I find a peace filling my heart.  (Philippians 4:6-7)  Time spent with friends and family becomes a chance to share deep issues of the heart as well as reveal the power of God at work in my life instead of focusing on chit chat or other meaningless blather centered around the details of others' lives.

When I humble myself before the Lord and submit to His Word, I will find it necessary to turn away from what is offensive and allow God to alter my perception and transform my behavior.

Blessing is Received.  As I realize the darkness of my heart and cooperate with God's transforming power, I will find God's blessing in abundance.  When I respond positively to His Word, He counters by turning on the flow of His blessings into my life.

God's reaction to Josiah's humble response to finding God's Word and His warnings toward a wayward people was to postpone the promised punishment.   Thus, Josiah would enjoy a life of peace and would taste God's favor as he yielded to the Word of the Lord. (2 Kings 22:19-20)

Similarly, as I live in a world that neither acknowledges God nor seeks to please Him, I can taste God's mercy when I choose to turn away from the sin this culture embraces.  Taking God and His Word seriously when I am surrounded by many who regularly mock Him will bring much blessing.

When I humble myself before the Lord and submit to His Word, I will discover God's blessing upon my life.


Reading God's Word is not like studying any other book I find in this world.  The words written on the pages of the Bible are powerful, meant to teach, rebuke, correct, and train in righteousness.  (2 Timothy 3:16)  When I humbly respond, God will open my eyes to my sin, giving me an opportunity to cooperate with His transforming power, resulting in a flow of blessing into my life.  This is the manifestation of the power of God's Word.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I will take God seriously as I am surrounded by many who do not.

When am I most apt to brush over the sacred Word of God?

How do I resist God's transforming work?

No comments:

Post a Comment