The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, August 1, 2014

Despised

"As the ark of the covenant of the LORD
was entering the City of David,
Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window.
And when she saw King David
dancing and celebrating,
she despised him in her heart."
1 Chronicles 15:29



She had never done anything to harm the woman, yet venom spewed from her mouth whenever they met.  It was as if she had a natural-born enemy without understanding why.  To make matters worse, my friend observed this woman interact with others and she seemed to possess such a sweet disposition.  It's as if she transformed into an angry beast whenever she saw my friend.

There is a reason we face this kind of harsh treatment in this world.  In fact, Jesus warned us of such behavior.  He said, "If the world hates you keep in mind that it hated me first. . .They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me" (John 15:18, 21).  Whenever I live for God with all of my heart through faith in Jesus Christ, obeying Him with great joy and wholehearted devotion, I can be sure someone will sneer.

Jesus was despised by man so I can expect the same kind of treatment when I live in Him.  How do stand firm and carry on?

Not personal.  I can be so easily offended, insulted when coming into contact with abrasive personalities.  If I keep in mind that it's not me who gets under the skin of those who are lost, but Jesus who is in me whose Spirit demands a response, I'll more easily respond in love (Matthew 10:34-35).  

His Light shining from me sheds light into the darkness which can be quite uncomfortable for those who have made friends with the shadows (John 1:5, Matthew 5:14).  Therefore, my mere presence can be enough to set the lost on edge.

Even my speech offends, colored as it is by the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  When I speak, offensive truths are revealed, even if I'm not intentionally evangelizing.  Because of my faith in Christ, my views are different, my beliefs are radical, and my perspective is upside-down and backwards.  Therefore, most of what I say is challenging to the core-values of the lost.  In fact, sometimes it's downright insulting (1 Corinthians 1:18-21).

My lifestyle can also be an object of wrath, drawing criticism and ridicule from those who know their own choices are quite destructive.  In comparison, the lives of the lost are devoid of meaning and purpose, causing inner turmoil as they ponder their empty legacy.  Such insight can bring out the worst from those who have rejected God's saving grace.

When receiving harsh treatment from the world I can remember that Jesus is the true object of their wrath.

Purpose-focused.  I often think I deserve the best in life, wanting a life of ease and comfort as I give into my fleshly desires.  The truth is, however, that as a follower of Christ I have a great purpose. That reason for living includes glorifying God in all that I do.

Therefore, I must keep the bigger picture in mind whenever rough treatment is aimed at me.  Instead of giving attention to my own wounds and bruised ego, I can remember that God has a greater purpose that goes way beyond me.  He could be using me to reach a hardened heart, or break through the strongest fortress, or liberate a burdened soul.

When receiving harsh treatment from the world I can keep a purpose-focused perspective, remembering that God's point-of-view is much wider in scope than mine.

User-friendly.  To me, Jesus is easy to access, always available and eager to accept.  To those who are lost, however, He is offensive, radical and downright foolish.  Even though He stands at the door of their heart, offering to come in and live life with them, His very presence demands a decision.  Either I am for Him, or against Him (Matthew 12:30).

Since God opened my eyes to my need for Jesus, softening my heart and drawing me to Him, I can't imagine life without the abundance He died to deliver (John 6:44, 10:10).  For those who haven't experienced such bounty, however, Jesus represents everything they cannot yet possess.  

Apart from Jesus, one can attempt to live a full and meaningful life but will find it's possession to be quite impossible.  There is no richness, no meaning, no purpose for God's image-bearers when separated from the One who gave them life.  Therefore, I can represent everything the lost cannot attain in their own strength.   

When receiving harsh treatment from the world I can remember that Jesus means something different to me than He does to the world.


It's easy for me to be hurt when receiving harsh treatment from those with whom I come into contact.  Remembering that it's really Jesus who is their target, that God has a greater purpose that goes beyond me, and that the lost don't yet realize the treasure that is Jesus can help me to stand firm in the face of such mistreatment.  After all, being despised by man is a sign that I belong to Jesus.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust in God's greater plan when facing difficult treatment from the world.  

How do I so easily take things personally instead of remembering it's not about me?

When do I lose track of what God has in mind for the world at large?     

No comments:

Post a Comment