The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Snowball Effect

"Satan rose up against Israel and caused David to take a census of the people of Israel.  So David said to Joab and the commanders of the army,
'Take a census of all the people of Israel
--from Beersheba in the south to Dan in the north--
and bring me a report so I may know how many there are.'

But Joab replied,
'May the LORD increase the number of his people a hundred times over!
But why, my lord the king,
do you want to do this?
Are they not all your servants?
Why must you cause Israel to sin?'

But the king insisted that they take the census,
so Joab traveled throughout all Israel to count the people."
1 Chronicles 21:1-4



When my mind is made up, the plan is in place, and the wheels are in motion, it's hard to change direction or stop altogether.  Like a snowball sent hurtling down a hill, my intentions build momentum and size until it's practically unstoppable.

There is something, however, that should stop me in my tracks:  Godly counsel.  What keeps me from listening?

Pride.  It's not that I think I know everything and possess all the answers, but when I've analyzed a situation and thought it through carefully, coming up with the perfect solution, it's hard for me to think there could be any other way.  The thing is, these "perfect solutions" usually come from my own perspective and understanding, not God's.  Since I didn't bother to consult Him, bringing His all-encompassing point-of-view into the situation, any answers I generate will be far from ideal.

Once I start down such a path, I can soon expect to crash and burn, run into a major obstacle, or come to a dead end (Proverbs 16:18).  Apart from God's grace, nothing will end well (1 Corinthians 15:10).  Therefore, I would be wise to humble myself, admitting that I don't have the answers or the wherewithal to successfully navigate the challenge I currently face. 

Once my attitude has been adjusted in such a way, taking my own self out of the picture, I can more easily accept advice that comes from a God-honoring source.  Then I might have a chance to stop the foolishness!

Pride often keeps me from heeding godly counsel.

Investment.  It is a valuable commodity.  Every human who ever existed has been given the same amount to spend each day.  Wasting it seems like such a shame.  Still, hundreds of units of this precious resource are squandered every day.

Time.  I have 24 hours of it each day yet often lament of a frequent shortage.  When time runs out, I'm frustrated.  When I'm waiting in line or stuck in a room filled with outdated magazines listening for my name to be called, I feel my time slipping away.  When I'm late, it seems like I never have enough.  

I realize the value of my time.  This is why I often stick to my guns, even if it seems I'm going nowhere.  If I've invested enough time into a project, or a particular solution, or a certain way of living, it's hard for me to give it up.  If I do, it seems like all the time I've spent will be in vain.

If instead I would realize the lessons that could be learned from going down such a foolish path, or the grace of God which will even things out once I get back on track, I might be able to heed a warning from a godly source.  It's not easy to change directions, letting go of my ways, especially if I've used up a lot of time getting as far as I now find myself.  Still, this investment is not more valuable than living God's way.  Anything I give up will seem foolish once I see things from God's perspective (Philippians 3:8).

A costly time investment often keeps me from heeding godly counsel.

Evil Influence.  It seemed like such a good idea at the time.  I could see no other way that would work.  My mind was convinced of the wisdom of my plan.  How is it that I can buy into such foolishness at times?

I cannot forget that I have an enemy whose mission is to steal, kill and destroy (John 10:10).  Whenever Satan gets a chance, he will plant a seed of doubt in my mind, introduce a sinful attitude, or hatch an evil plan.  It is easy for me to agree with such an ungodly influence because it often appeals to my sin nature.

My enemy could suggest that going down such a path will improve my self-image, giving me more confidence.  I easily buy into such a concept since I'm hungry for such a strong belief in myself.  Unfortunately, my view of myself will only improve when I see myself through God's lenses, realizing the assurance I seek comes from trusting Him (Psalm 139, Isaiah 40:31).

Satan also might give me the idea that buying into a certain solution will improve my status, giving others a higher opinion of my intelligence, or abilities, or potential.  It's easy for me to believe his lies since I strongly desire for others to think highly of me.  It's too bad, though, that true self-worth will only come from seeking God's pleasure, not in trying to impress people (1 Thessalonians 2:3-4).

Another tactic of my enemy is to persuade me to invest mostly in my needs and wants, giving me the impression that true meaning will come when I receive these earthly treasures.  How simple it is to get me to agree since my fleshly desires are such a powerful force.  Regrettably, running after riches will leave me feeling empty since their allure is fleeting.  Only kingdom-treasures will last (Matthew 6:19-21).

The influences of Satan often keeps me from heeding godly counsel.


Once I make up my mind, it is hard for me to pay attention to sound advice.  Usually, my pride, unwillingness to waste the time I've invested, or the influence of Evil are the obstacles that discourage such observance.  Therefore, to avoid the snowball effect, I would be wise to seek God alone.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep focused on God's plan for my life.

When do I most easily get off-track?

How can I help myself to remember to seek God above all other pursuits?               

No comments:

Post a Comment