The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, August 8, 2014

Costly Offering

"But King David said to Ornan,
'No, but I will buy them (oxen, threshing sledges, wheat) 
for the full price.
I will not take for the LORD what is yours,
nor offer burnt offerings that cost me nothing.'"
1 Chronicles 21:24 ESV



It was a pittance, really, these small coins that clinked together as they fell into the collection box.  To most it seemed tiny, but to her it was all she had, given with a grateful heart (Luke 21:1-4).

Sometimes, those who possess little have a greater concept of the sacrifice found in giving.  The rich sometimes give to impress, while the poor have no means with which to make an impact.  God is looking for an offering from me that means something.  Therefore, I'd be wise to pay attention to what He values.

Heart.  Out of duty and obligation, I drop my allotted amount into the plate as it passes.  Since I feel a sense of responsibility to help, I give my time to the ministry I've always supported.  For no other reason than I don't want to say "No" to the cashier, I agree to support a charity about which I know nothing.

My heart is important to God (1 Samuel 16:7).  What drives me to do the things I do matters.  I can invest my time and money into important endeavors without a thought to God's intentions for these resources He's so generously given.  When I heartlessly give, knowing it is the "right thing to do" but fail to include God in the equation, what do these gifts mean to Him?  He doesn't need my help nor does He desire what I have to give.  Instead, what He wants from me is wholehearted devotion to Him and His ways.  Then, whatever I have determined to give will be offered with a willing heart and be found acceptable to Him (2 Corinthians 8:12, Isaiah 1:10-17).

Similarly, when I give because it makes me feel good to help others, easing my sense of pity and guilt for my inaction when I see the homeless man begging by the side of the road, or the forlorn look on the puppy dog's face, or the woman suffering from cancer, it doesn't mean much to God.  Instead of trying to give myself a benevolent buzz, I must give out of obedience to Him, desiring to please Him more than I want to lessen my own feelings of helplessness.

The way I give and my motivation for giving is more important to God than what I give.

Faith.  I need every penny of my paycheck to make ends meet.  Since I'm so hard up, I think God will understand if I keep His tithe for myself.  After all, He doesn't want me to suffer, does He?

It's easy to justify my failure to give what God requires, looking at the facts and figures and coming to the conclusion that it's foolish to make any kind of offering.  If God is calling me to give, however, I must use eyes of faith to look at my situation.

There was a time when my husband and I were in a bad way.  The debt was mounting and our prospects looked dim.  We turned to credit counseling for help and were advised to stop giving our tithe.  We decided to trust God and reject this worldly advice that seemed to make sense but flew in the face of our convictions.  It wasn't long before God provided for us a way out of debt in a way that surprised us all.  

When I believe God will provide, just as the woman who gave her all must have done, my faith will not let me down.  God's Word is good and He will always keep His promises (Matthew 6:31-33, Ephesians 3:20, 2 Peter 1:3) .  Therefore, when I prove my faith in Him by doing what He has asked, I will not be disappointed (Malachi 3:10).

Giving takes faith when doing so doesn't look good on paper.

Intention.  Benevolence is acceptable and even applauded by man.  I'm easily impressed by those who give sacrificially, leaving me with the idea that giving in and of itself is good.  If my intention is to please others not God, however, I might as well not give at all (Galatians 1:10).

Following Christ is not always easy.  Many times He takes me down a road that doesn't make sense to me, or seems like the wrong way to go, or risks my reputation.  As a result, it's not long before others are talking, wondering why I'm behaving in such a way, or making such foolish decisions, or being such a rebel.  In reality, I'm only doing what Jesus is calling me to do.

The kingdom of God is upside down and backwards from the world, often flying in the face of my own common sense.  When I think I should give to the obvious, He may point out the obscure.  When I am drawn to do that which makes me look good, He may have me invest time in something that could draw the scorn of others.  When I want to play it safe, He leads me to the edge of the cliff.

Intending to please and obey God is the best reason for giving.


It's easy to give something that costs me nothing  and means even less to God.  Instead of getting caught up in giving just for the sake of giving, it is time I learn what is important to God.  He values my wholehearted devotion, a faith that believes He will protect and provide, and my intention to please Him.  In these ways, I will give a costly offering that means so much to my Father who needs nothing I have to give but delights in my obedience.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember the reason that I give: to please God.

When do I give out of duty or obligation, not realizing it's my heart that really matters?

How am I robbing God because I'm afraid to give the minimum?

No comments:

Post a Comment