The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Now. . .

"Now seek the LORD your God with all your heart and soul.
Build the sanctuary of the LORD God 
so that you can bring the Ark of the LORD's Covenant
and the holy vessels of God into the Temple
built to honor the LORD's name."
1 Chronicles 22:19 NLT



The location had been chosen.  The materials were gathered and orders given for their preparation.  The charge and blessings were passed on from the Lord.  Needed encouragement for such a large project was imparted.  God's presence and provision was assured.  David made sure that everything was in place for his son Solomon to successfully build the temple.  Now it was Solomon's turn.

It's similar for me.  Everything has been set in place, prepared for me so that I can walk the path God has chosen for me (Hebrews 12:1, Ephesians 1:3, 1 Corinthians 1:7, John 10:10).  Now it's my turn.

Set.  "I can do anything I set my mind to do."  This is a popular sentiment that is based on the fact that what I think about can influence the direction my life takes.  Athletes understand the power of the mind and often use positive thought processes and well as visualization techniques to improve their performance.

If I use my brain power to mostly think about my own worthlessness, dwelling on how I have failed and doubting whether God can use me, I will head down that road of destruction.  If I focus mostly on using my own common sense and abilities to negotiate my way through life, I will move in a direction that takes me away from the Source of all I need to live the life I was created to live.  If my mind generates thoughts of worldly success, acquiring the trappings of the modern life and making for myself a comfortable existence that feeds my fleshly desires, I will succeed in making my own agenda rule supreme.

If, however, I set my mind on things above, using the brain God gave me to generate pure, lovely, excellent and praiseworthy thoughts, seeking Him and His will in all that I do, I will find myself walking the obscure path of life (Colossians 3:2, Philippians 4:8, Matthew 7:13-14).  Many times, spiritual warfare is waged on the battlefield of my mind (Ephesians 6:12).

Now that I have been given new life through faith in Jesus Christ, it is time for me to set my mind on the things of Christ.

Arise.  The time just didn't seem right.  I didn't have all my ducks in a row, so to speak.  I felt ill-equipped and unprepared.  Still, God had given me my marching orders.  Either I could ignore Him and continue on as if I hadn't heard His still, small voice, or I could muster up the courage to do as He had said.

Obedience takes faith.  In order to do what God wants me to do I must believe that He will equip me once I take that first step.  Walking forward into the darkness of the unknown, however, can be scary.  Instead of dwelling in fear and doubt, talking myself out of action, it is better to follow the advice of Nike and "Just do it."

God is always at work behind the scenes, setting all the necessary pieces in place and moving every player to where they need to be.  When I balk at His direction, hesitating to do as He has said, I am proving my lack of faith.  When I obey, refusing to wait for the elusive perfect time to act, I will find His plan at work all around me.

Now that I have been given new life through faith in Jesus Christ, it is time for me to arise and get to the business of obeying His call on my life.

Reap.  The ripened berries were dangling before me as I carefully moved down the row of raspberry vines.  Everywhere I looked, the tantalizing fruit hung down like tiny, ruby treasures hidden among the foliage.  I couldn't wait to pick this delicious fruit and get to the business of making jam.

While berries are quite delectable, there is another kind of fruit that is even more desirable.  When I let God's Spirit have His way in my life, giving Him the leeway He needs to work in my heart, I will discover evidence of His fruit growing in my flesh.  

Instead of impatiently pushing forward, I'll find the ability to wait on the Lord.  While I used to have a cynical attitude, now I see more of a joyful hope abiding within.  In the place of the anxiety and turmoil that used to rule my inner being, I find a peace that makes no sense to me (Galatians 5:22-23).

Furthermore, my obedience to God's calling on my life will lead to great blessing (Psalm 24:1-5).  Covered as I am by the blood of Jesus, I am free to focus on His kingdom as my standing with Him is made good (Romans 5:9-11, Matthew 6:33).  Instead of feeling the need to prove myself as worthy, or make my life mean something important, or going after all the things I think I need, I can simple abide in Him (John 15:5).  As I go after His will, I will find my perspective changing, giving me new goals and desires that line up with His (Psalm 37:4).  The resulting spiritual gifts will prove God's favor on my life.

Finally, as I set my mind on God and His ways, getting to the work of obeying Him, I will find myself making much of Him in my day-to-day dealings.  People will look at the fruit of my life and praise my Father in heaven (Matthew 5:16)!

Now that I have been given new life through faith in Jesus Christ, it is time for me to reap what He has sown.


It is easy for me to think I need to wait for just the right time before I can do what God wants me to do.  I must realize, however, that He has already laid all the groundwork.  Therefore, it is my job to set my mind on the task of seeking the Lord and get to the work of doing what I know He is calling me to do.  As a result, I will reap godly fruit and blessings as God gets the glory for the great things He is doing.  Now is the time.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to step out in faith and obedience.

When do I wait, thinking I'm not ready to do as He has said?

How do I miss out on a blessing because of my fear and doubt?

No comments:

Post a Comment