The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

His Little is Great

"Then King David went in and sat before the LORD
and said, 'who am I, O LORD God,
and what is my house,
that you have brought me thus far?
And this was a small thing in your eyes, O God.'"
1 Chronicles 17:16-17a ESV



Think of the greatest feat God performed in your life: the deed that touched your heart most deeply.  Now take that hilltop, pivotal experience and realize that it was a small thing to our big God!

This is the sentiment David is expressing to God in this beautiful prayer in response to God's covenantal promise:  I cannot fathom the blessing You have granted me, little, unworthy me, yet this is nothing compared to Your greatest potential!

I often limit God, expecting little and daring to hope for even less.  What would happen if I let God be God?  Even His little is great to me!

Redemption.  My outlook was grim, even hopeless.  My sin sent me to death row as a holy God gave me what I deserved.  I was lost indeed.

Then came a Savior who was willing to take my place in death.  Sinless though He was, He stepped into my shoes, accepting the punishment a holy God required for my transgressions and willingly died in my place.  Due to His unspeakable sacrifice, I am brought back from the brink of Hell, given a new life and a new hope, and granted the forgiveness from a righteous God that I was unable to secure on my own.

As remarkable as the gift is, this redemption purchased by the costly blood of Jesus did so much more.  It took my broken life and transformed it into a complete one.  It cast away the ruins of my life and fashioned from it wholeness (Isaiah 61:1-3).  From nothing, His blood bought me more than I could ever imagine, making me into the woman God originally created me to be.

Since I've been bought at such a price, may I live like I'm precious (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).  And like I'm forgiven.

Despite the fact that this redemption means everything to me, it is a little thing to my great God.

Security.  Hardship.  Failure.  Difficulty.  Relapse.  Unfaithfulness.  Depression.  There are many things in this life that make me feel unlovable, unworthy, as one who is cast into the trash heap.  No matter what I go through, how much heartache I experience, or how many times I fall, there is nothing that will make God stop loving me (Romans 8:38-39).  I am secure in His love.  My place in His family, as His precious child, will never be taken away.

Once I truly realize this truth, I will be able to live in the security of His love.  Fear will be a distant memory as I accept my permanent place in His good graces, able to boldly approach His throne at any time to receive that grace that is so necessary (Romans 8:1,1 John 4:18Hebrews 4:16).  Doubt will melt away as I truly understand the mercy and grace offered freely, independent of my effort or own worthiness but completely based on Christ's work on the cross.  Insecurity will be a thing of my past as I embrace God's view of me as His holy and precious child.

Even though I cannot fathom such a miracle as is my inclusion in the family of God, it is a little thing to my great God.

Manifestation.  David really understood the concept of acceptance.  He acknowledged his own unworthiness, realized the magnitude of the blessings God had promised, and fully embraced what God was standing ready to pour into His life.

If only I could always do the same.  Often I look at my circumstances and doubt the promises of God.  Even though He said He would give me more than I could ask or imagine, I expect little because it is all I've ever seen.  In other words, I am unwilling to accept God's best for me because I can't picture it or I have a hard time believing He would do such amazing things for little ole' me.  

David was willing to receive God's covenantal promises because he understood the good gifts the Lord was ready to give were based on God's goodness, not on David's.  He embraced the fact that he was a crumb, but God was a gracious, loving God who delights in blessing the lowly.  David was only able to open his hands to get what God had promised because He realized it's a part of who God is.  He wants to give good things to His children (Luke 11:13).

God has promised much to me and He is good for it, faithful to deliver.  The only variable, then, is my own faith.  Do I believe He will give me what He has said He will?  His constant presence?  Forgiveness?  An abundant life?  Faithful provision?  It is entirely up to me;  God is waiting to give!

The abundance of goodness God is waiting to pour into my life upon my willingness to receive is miraculous considering my track record, but still a little thing to my great God.


If the redemption found in Christ, my subsequent security in His family, and the manifestation of God's promises in my life are little things to my great God, what more can I expect?  He is a great God who I often limit.  It is my intention to stop binding His power in my life and let Him be who He is:  a majestic, limitless yet loving Father.   Even His little is great.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to give me whatever He has set aside for me.

When am I afraid to receive God's blessings, wondering if there are any strings attached?

How am I willing to give but not receive?

No comments:

Post a Comment