The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Friday, August 29, 2014

Deeply Committed

"He was deeply committed
to the ways of the LORD."
2 Chronicles 17:6 NLT



Jehoshaphat's heart was courageous in the ways of the Lord.  In a world committed to everything that runs counter to God's heart, he was bold for God.

I can take a lesson from Asa's son.  Since I also live in a culture that defies the Lord in so many ways, I will be conspicuous if I take God seriously.  Therefore, it takes courage and a deep commitment to the Lord in order to persist in His ways.  It's time to embolden my heart in the Lord.

Not Ashamed.  I hear his name profaned in popular entertainment, yet uttering "Jesus" as the name by which I am saved ostracizes me from many circles (Acts 4:12).  It is easy to learn a certain hesitancy when talking about the most important relationship in my life; my connection to Jesus.

The Apostle Paul ministered in an environment similar to today's culture when he reached out to all the people in Rome.  He said, "I am not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: First to the Jew, then to the Gentile." (Romans 1:16)  

When I think as Paul did, seeing the power found in the good news of Jesus Christ, I will care more about what Jesus can do for someone than what they might think about me.  Delivering the message of hope and love found in Jesus will matter more to me than how it might be received.  My obedience to God's calling on my life will overshadow any shame I might feel in being linked to as unpopular a figure as Jesus (Mark 16:15).

I show my deep commitment to the Lord when I am not ashamed of the name of Jesus.

Infallible Word.  Many question it's veracity and use that as an excuse to avoid reading it.  Some wonder how a book written by man could actually be attributed to God.  Others doubt it's source.  As one who has read the Bible, however, I have seen it's power.  I know how God uses it to teach me His mysterious ways, to convict me of my sin, to correct my way of thinking, and to train me in how He wants me to live (2 Timothy 3:16).

Since I know the authority found in the Word of God, I must treat it as the powerhouse it is (Hebrews 4:12).  This means considering the Bible as a life-changing tool, not just a book filled with wisdom.  It also means I will see it as the source of truth for all, not just for those who follow Jesus, giving me a boldness to liberally use scripture to encourage, exhort, comfort and inspire.  As the very words spoken from the mouth of God, I can trust that He will use it to accomplish whatever He has set out to achieve with His own Word (Isaiah 55:11).

I show my deep commitment to the Lord when I believe in the power found in the infallible Word of God.

Right Teaching.  Everything is relative.  If it's right for you that's fine, but it may not be right for me.  If you think you should live a certain way I will support you but don't push your beliefs on me.  The height of love in this kind of world is to live and let live.

Yet I hear a different story from Jesus.  There is one way to heaven (John 14:6, 10:9), one narrow path that leads to life (Matthew 7:14), one standard by which we are all judged (Romans 3:23).  Either I can agree with what I know to be true, or I can be swayed by the message of relativity I hear from the world (2 Thessalonians 2:15).

If I am to stay true to the truth, I will need to give myself constant reminders of it's message.  It is also important that I meet with others who share my beliefs and can exhort me to stand firm on it's foundation.  This means making a solid commitment to study God's Word on my own as well as in a small group setting.  In a world that constantly seeks to destroy my faith, these safeguards are vital to the health and well-being of my faith. 

I show my deep commitment to the Lord when I stick to the right teaching.


In a world that is ruled by an enemy who seeks to destroy my faith (John 10:10), it is important that I devote myself wholeheartedly to the Lord.  When I do, a boldness will appear and I will no longer be ashamed of the name of Jesus, I will see God's Word as the powerhouse it is, and I will stick to what I know to be true.  In these ways I will display a deep commitment to the One the world has rejected (John 1:10-11, Psalm 118:22).


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stand firm on the truth.

When am I susceptible to being swayed by the messages found in the world?

How do I often feel ashamed to say the name of Jesus in public?       

No comments:

Post a Comment