The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Higher Calling

"Forgetting the past
and looking forward to what lies ahead,
I press on to reach the end of the race
and receive the heavenly prize for which God,
through Christ Jesus, is calling us."
Philippians 3:13b-14



It gets tiring, running this race called life.  I scramble to live responsibly, providing for my needs and those of my family.  I run myself ragged in an attempt to keep up with the ever-changing expectations of this modern world.  I put all my effort into elevating myself, working to improve my self-esteem and climbing the corporate and social ladders.

Not surprisingly, I soon feel exhausted, burned-out and empty.  There must be more than this . . .

Kingdom Choices.  If I were to take inventory of my choices, I would probably discover that most of them are based on need.  The job I give so much time to was selected because it would supply enough money to pay the bills.  The way I spend my time is often based on outside pressures; whatever is most pressing gets my attention.  The money God has entrusted me with often goes towards fulfilling worldly obligations like retirement investments, emergency funds and meaningful activities for the family.  Rarely, however, do I seek God's will in the choices I make.

If I were to do as Jesus has called me to do, however, I would put His kingdom first, letting my heavenly Father provide for what is required for life.  As His child, it is not necessary for me to spend the resources God has provided to supply my needs (Matthew 6:31-33).  He never meant for me to be focused on such trivial, temporary pursuits.  

Instead, He has called me to something higher.  He has saved me with His blood so I could follow Him down the path of life, committing to the job which brings Him the most glory and that has been set aside for me to do.  The abundant life He died to give me includes using my time in ways that further His kingdom instead of letting worldly demands and expectations rule my heart.  Compared to the riches found in Christ, money means nothing and is simply a tool He can use to bring glory to His name.

As a follower of Christ, He has called me to make Kingdom choices instead of decisions based on need.

Jesus Pursuit.  My problems.  My goals.  My desires.  If I'm honest with myself, I would have to say that most of my effort goes toward my own pursuits, what makes me feel fulfilled, what seems important, what solves the latest puzzle or eases the most pressing crisis.  In short, I am my own god going after worldly quests.

If I were to focus on Jesus, however, I would find that running after these worldly and fleshly pursuits would no longer suffice (Hebrews 12:1-2).  Instead, as I keep my attention trained on Him, life would suddenly make sense as I would be able to make out the way He has designed for me to live.  My priorities would shift and those things that used to seem so important suddenly don't matter at all (Philippians 3:8).  What used to get my blood pumping now is exposed as an empty and destructive diversion.

As a follower of Christ, He has called me to run after Him, keeping my eyes on Him as I grow in faith. 

God Honored.  I can't believe she would say such a thing, spreading such lies about me.  I must restore my image and clean up my reputation.  It's easy to feel hurt when personal attacks come my way.  I mostly focus on how I can clear my name and stand up for my rights.  God, however, has a greater purpose for allowing such difficulty into my life.

If I am to live in a way that honors Him, His glory is to be my primary concern.  Therefore, when I am treated unfairly, my first question must be, "How will God's name be praised through this?"  Instead, I usually ask, "How can I defend myself or seek retribution for the one who attacked me?"  It's hard for me to see how He could be using a certain situation to further His great name unless my heart is devoted to Him (Romans 12:1).

I can be the greatest evidence of God's love for a fallen world in the way I seek to honor Him despite my own anguish.  When the lost see my compassion for those I should be cursing, they take note of Who I follow.  When others notice a gracious response when a cold, hard slap in the face seems to be necessary, they will look for Who is responsible for such grace.  When it shocks others to find me reaching out to the dredges of society, they will wonder Who gives me such kindness.  Then they will find Jesus behind it all.

As a follower of Christ, He has called me to honor God with every part of my life.


Living life can be exhausting when my real mission is ignored.  If I pay attention to what Jesus teaches, I will find that He is calling me to something greater than myself.  I was saved to make kingdom choices, pursue Jesus and use my life for His glory.  In these ways I will answer that higher calling and begin to truly live.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on Jesus even when distractions come my way.

When do I run after other pursuits that do not give much meaning or contentment?

How am I making choices based on what I need?

No comments:

Post a Comment