The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Secret

"'So now, with God as our witness,
and in the sight of all Israel
--the LORD's assembly--
I give you this charge.
Be careful to obey all the commands of the LORD your God,
so that you may continue to possess this good land
and leave it to your children as a permanent inheritance.

'And Solomon, my son, learn to know the God
of your ancestors intimately.
Worship and serve him with your whole heart 
and a willing mind.
For the LORD sees every heart 
and knows every plan and thought.  
If you seek him, you will find him.
But if you forsake him,
he will reject you forever.
So take this seriously.
The LORD has chosen you to build a Temple as his sanctuary.
Be strong,
and do the work.'"
1 Chronicles 28:8-10 NLT



Everything was in place.  David had reached the end of his reign and was ready to place the crown on his son's head.  Before giving him such a responsibility, however, there were some things Solomon needed to know.  The charge David gave to his son could be a blueprint for living a life that is pleasing to God.  

What's the secret?  Well, it's really no secret.

Know and Serve.  It's easy to do one without the other.  I get caught up in serving, doing things for God, things He never asked me to do.  Things I think are necessary to the workings of His kingdom.  Things that seem good.  As I labor with gusto, I find myself growing weary as my own strength peters out.  Before I know it, the ministry I used to relish is nothing more than a chore; a responsibility added onto my long list of tasks to be done each week.

I was never meant to do things for God.  Instead, He'd rather I spend time with Him, getting to know Him in a more intimate way each day (Luke 10:38-42).  Then, when I see Him at work around me, I can join in, working in Him.  In this way it's really Him doing the work through me, empowering me to persist and enabling me to succeed (1 Corinthians 15:10, John 15:5).

I recently cut some blackberry vines that were intruding into our yard.  Before I severed their link to the main part of the plant, they were healthy and vibrant, producing delicious berries of their own.  Within an hour of clipping those branches, the leaves were withering and wilting.  I am just like this blackberry vine:  Apart from Jesus, I don't have the necessary resources needed to thrive and I will never bear kingdom fruit.  If I make it my life's pursuit to grow closer in my relationship with Him each passing day, relying on His Spirit for all that I need to live, fruit will be produced in abundance and I will never run out of steam.

I am charged with knowing God and serving through Him.

Seek.  Meaning.  Purpose.  Wealth.  Fame.  Praise.  Security.  There are many things I can seek in this life.  Some seem beneficial while others are obviously destructive and self-serving.  None, however, will bring satisfaction apart from one pursuit.

I am promised to find God if I seek Him with all of my heart (Deuteronomy 4:29).  He is not a God who plays hide-and-seek, withholding his affections if He's having a bad day, or is overwhelmed with requests from others, or just doesn't feel like hanging out with me.  Jesus is always ready to meet me where I am and desires nothing more than to be invited in to the most mundane parts of my life (Revelation 3:20).  He wants to be found.

If I will hold God as my most valued treasure, worthy of being pursued as my utmost endeavor, I will find contentment and fulfillment.  If, however, He is just one of many pursuits, I will always feel like there is something missing and my heart will always be found wanting.

I am charged with seeking God with all of my heart.

Be strong and do it!  There are some callings that seem more important than others.  Missionary work in a war-torn country.  Preaching God's Word to a hungry flock.  Feeding the hungry and hopeless on the street.  Somehow, it's easy to glamorize some work while minimizing others.

In God's kingdom, however, every position is important, vital to the function of the whole (1 Corinthians 12:18).  Therefore, wherever God has placed me to serve, I must do so with gusto, realizing it's importance to God and His kingdom (1 Corinthians 10:31).

If I am called to be a mother, even if it doesn't seem very life-shattering to wipe runny noses and tie little shoe-laces, I can do my job as if it is the most important job in the world, which it is.  

If I am placed in a position as a janitor, while I may be looked down upon by many, I can clean with all my heart, letting Him use me for His glory and keeping in mind that doing my best is important to God.  

If I sometimes feel overlooked in the place God has positioned me, thinking there is nothing special about my life, I must remember that what I do is vitally important in God's eyes.  Since He saw fit to drop me down into this situation, it means I have a job to do that has kingdom merit.

I am charged to stay strong in the Lord and do my job to the glory of God.


David's charge to Solomon is filled with godly wisdom.  When I follow his advice, I will see the value in building my relationship with the Lord daily and being a willing servant, make it my life's pursuit to seek Him wholeheartedly, and to realize the importance of the position in which He's placed me and do my work to His glory.  In these ways I have discovered the secret of living a meaningful and fulfilling life that pleases God.  


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can stop going after meaningless pursuits.

When do I forsake my relationship with God in order to go after the latest craze?

When do I get caught up in looking for meaning in all the wrong places?  

No comments:

Post a Comment