The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, August 4, 2014

Thanksgiving

"Give praise to the LORD, proclaim his name;
make known among the nations what he has done."
1 Chronicles 16:8 NIV



Positive outcome of surgery.
Turnaround in dismal financial outlook.
Relief of physical pain and suffering.
Hope of heaven and eternity with Jesus.
Protection during long road trip.
It's easy to praise God for such things and it's good to give Him the glory for such feats.  When I think of praising Him and thanking Him for all He has done, though, it's usually about something that relates to me.  In other words, I mostly give thanks when things go well for me.

There is so much more for which to give thanks to God besides acknowledging Him when things go right.  When David and the people of Israel had successfully delivered the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem, King David appointed the people to give thanks to the Lord.  In his instructions to the people of God, he modeled for us a way to give thanks to God for who He is, in a way that is both meaningful to us and treasured by Him.   It's easy to thank God for what He's given, but there is more to this attitude of thanksgiving.

Glory.  "What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."  Juliet made the point to the object of her affections, Romeo, that it mattered not that he came from a family who was at war with hers.  Instead, she insisted, it is the person behind the name that really matters.  While this sentiment is true to a point, there is much meaning found in God's holy name.

Therefore, I can spend some time basking in the greatness of the name of the Lord.  In comparison to any other name ever given, God's rises far above (Psalm 8:1).  His name is a strong tower that protects me in times of trouble.  (Proverbs 18:10)  There is power found in the name of Jesus, sending demons to trembling and adding clout to my prayers (Philippians 2:10-11, John 14:13-14).  Simply put, His name deserves my attention and there is no greater reason to rejoice than in His name (Psalm 29:2).

While I tend to give thanks to God for what He has done, I can step out of myself and glory in His name.

Seek.  Moses begged Him.  Even though it went way beyond what anyone had ever asked from Him, the Lord partially granted his request, allowing Moses to see the backside of His glory.  (Exodus 33:18)

Moses knew that God's presence was what set the people of Israel apart from every other nation.  He also realized that if God didn't go with them, as He had threatened, they wouldn't make it far.  (Exodus 33:3, 12-13)  Moses realized his absolute dependence upon the Lord.

But there was more.  Moses desired to see God above all else.  He craved God's glory, yearning to see His face and revel in His presence.  Moses longed after God in the same way a living creature pants for water (Psalm 42:1).

While I tend to give thanks to God for what He has done for me, I can step outside of myself and seek His presence as most my precious possession.

Remember.  The list is long.  If I pay attention as I live my life, it grows longer each day.  While I read His Word, I add even more to it's length.  There is no end to His marvelous deeds, miraculous wonders and judgments uttered (1 Chronicles 16:12).

There is no doubt that God is great!  As I live my life, getting caught up in difficult circumstances and the stress of day-to-day living, however, it's easy to lose sight of His power and magnitude.  This is why it is so important to earnestly remember God's greatness.  

He spoke all things into existence, calmed the storm with a word, and proclaimed the sin of mankind wiped away (Genesis 1, Mark 4:39, John 19:30).  Such power is found in His Word, but how much more is found in His deeds!  He defends those who put their trust in Him, heals those who believe He is able, and transforms grief into gladness (Psalm 91:14, Mark 10:51-52, Isaiah 61:2-3).

Knowing who God is and what He is capable of doing by remembering what He has already done gives encouragement to my disheartened soul but also pleases Him.


It is important to give thanks to God for all He has provided in my life.  There is more, however, for which I can praise Him.  I can glory in His name, seek His presence as vital to my welfare, and remember all He has accomplished.  In these ways, I honor God for who He is, not just how He has benefited me.  In this way I can exhibit an attitude of thanksgiving.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can think beyond myself, praising god for who He is.

When do I focus only on me, and how God benefits my life?

How can I help myself make the effort to admire God for His great character?

No comments:

Post a Comment