The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Unleash the Power

"The Israelites were subdued on that occasion,
and the people of Judah were victorious
because they relied on the LORD,
the God of their ancestors."
2 Chronicles 13:18



Things looked bad.  In fact, it could have been the end for Abijah, king of Judah.  Instead of giving up as he surveyed the enemy troops gathered in front and behind, hopelessly surrounding him and his army, he cried out to the Lord and the Lord saved him.

When things look bad for me, I, too, can cry out to God, unleashing His mighty power in my life.

Believe.  There is much about my life that discourages me.  Sickness strikes, stuff breaks, relationships are strained.  It's easy to feel hopeless, as if I can never get a break.  Where's this abundant life Jesus promised (John 10:10)?

While the difficulties, struggles and trials often overwhelm, I have a choice as to where I place my attention.  When I focus mostly on what is going wrong, the problems become bigger and as a result, God becomes smaller.  If, however, I were to pay more attention to God, reminding myself of who He is, what He has promised, and how He has faithfully cared for me, He will grow bigger and my circumstances will fade into the background.

When things look bad for me and it seems I have no hope, it's time to believe that God is who He says He is.

Act.  Once I believe God can do the impossible, it's time to act.  Now it's easy for me to think there is something I must do to save myself and I'm often tempted to come up with a plan of action to do just that.  The kind of action I speak of here, however, is different.  Instead of trying to figure out what I must do to "help God along," the action that is necessary is placing my trust in God.

What does this look like?  It is what the men of Judah did when they raised the battle cry, readying themselves to fight even though it seemed the odds were against them (2 Chronicles 13:15).  They believed the God of their fathers was going before them and they acted as if the battle was already theirs.  Sure enough, as soon as they sounded off, the people of Israel, their enemies, fled and these formidable foes suddenly became easy pickings.

When things look bad for me and it seems I have no hope, it's time to act as if I believe God is who He says He is.

Watch.  Now that I've taken that step of faith, going forward into the unknown with the belief that God is already at work on my behalf, I must watch for Him.  What is He doing?  How is He saving me, protecting me, delivering me?  From where will His deliverance come?  As soon as I see the work of His mighty hand, I can fall in behind Him, joining in with what He has already started.

The fighting men of Judah understood this.  As they stepped forward in faith, sounding the battle cry, the soldiers of Israel began to retreat.  Immediately they knew what was happening: God was routing their enemies.  They didn't waste a moment's time but immediately set to work slaying their enemy.  Without God, this would have been impossible.  But God had set them up for success, making their job easy.

Likewise, I can watch for what God is doing and fall in behind as soon as I see His method of deliverance.  It could be that the medical tests will all come back clear, or several people will all suggest the same solution, or the phone will ring with an offer of help.  Whatever the mode of delivery, it's up to me to recognize God's hand at work.

When things look bad for me and it seems I have no hope, it's time to watch for God acting as He says He is able to act.


In this world with all it's troubles, it's easy to feel hopeless.  Instead of focusing on what is wrong, however, I can choose to believe that God is as big as He claims to be.  As my faith is bolstered, I can then take a step forward, believing God is there to catch me.  As I do, I can then pay attention to what God is doing to save me, watching for His mode of delivery.  God's power is always there, available for use, but it's not until I believe, act and watch that I will unleash His might on my behalf.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can trust God enough to step forward into the dark unknown.

When do I hesitate, doubting God could do the impossible?

How am I holding back, failing even to believe the most basic truths about God and His abilities?

No comments:

Post a Comment