The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Monday, August 18, 2014

The Power of Godly Leadership

"Then Solomon stood before the altar of the LORD 
in front of the whole assembly of Israel 
and spread out his hands.
Now he had made a bronze platform,
five cubits long, five cubits wide and three cubits high,
and had placed it in the center of the outer court.
He stood on the platform and then knelt down
before the whole assembly of Israel 
and spread out his hands toward heaven."
2 Chronicles 6:12-13



I am a leader.  Even though I may not feel like one, as a follower of Christ, I have been designated as such (Matthew 5:14-16).  People are watching me, curious as to how my life is different from others' lives (Titus 2:7-8).  Some pay attention so they can follow suit.  Others may be looking for a way to trash me or my Savior (1 Peter 2:12).  Whatever the reason, I am leading people down the path on which I choose to walk.

King Solomon seemed to understand this concept well and he chose to set a godly example that others could follow.  He humbled himself before God in front of all the people.  He could have chosen to commit such an act in private, just between himself and God.  He knew, however, that this moment was much bigger than himself.

By choosing to kneel before God in such a public way, Solomon demonstrated for his people how to live a godly life so they could do the same.  Who is watching me that I could lead down the path of life?

Power of Prayer.  "How can I pray for you?"  This question reflects my husband's passion as he meets with people through his job.  It is amazing how many open up to him because he took a  moment to show he cares.  In addition, he is also showing how powerful a prayer to a mighty God is to some who may never think about God let alone talk to Him.  

The Apostle Paul lists continuous prayer as one of the core practices necessary to my journey of faith (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18).  I was made to stay in constant contact with my Father, taking my fears and doubts to Him with a spirit of thanksgiving for all He is doing around me.  He meant for me to see Him as my sole Source of answers for the difficult questions, solutions to the problems of life and comfort during the times of suffering.  Not only so, but it is His intention that I use prayer as a weapon with which to wage war in the heavenly realms against my unseen yet persistent enemy (Ephesians 6:18).

With such a powerful tool at my disposal, I bring glory to God when I use prayer as the first action taken in every situation.  While it's easy to pray as a last resort, when all other options have been exhausted and I'm desperate for help, I can realize the power found in prayer.  When I treat it as the most influential action I can take, others will follow suit and God will become their go-to resource as well.

When I use prayer as my first line of defense, I demonstrate to those watching me the power of prayer.

Words of Faith.  When I'm feeling weak, tired and ready to give up, I easily jump on the next bandwagon that passes by.  If I'm surrounded by negative, defeated people, I begin to talk like them, adopting their pessimistic view of the world and forgetting that God is in control and will not let me down.  If, however, I choose to listen to those who speak words of faith, reminding me that God is faithful to keep His promises and that He is good and will work all things for my good while conforming me to the image of His Son, I will find my perspective taking on a more godly slant.

Words are powerful tools that can tear others down or build them up, send them into a tailspin of hopelessness and doubt or bolster their faith, and point them toward destruction or send them down the path of life.  What I say, especially during times of trouble, can be a powerful influence on those who are watching.

Therefore, I must guard my tongue against the critical, negative and damaging words that come so easily to my sinful nature (Proverbs 13:3, James 3:6).  As I surrender my tendency to speak negatively, God will use my tongue for His glory, to speak words that bring life to those who are within earshot (Romans 6:13, Proverbs 18:21, Ephesians 4:15).

When I speak words of faith, I demonstrate to those watching me how to stand strong in the Lord and stay confident in His ability to save, protect and guide me.

Intention to Obey.  Talk is cheap (James 2:14-20).  While it is true that mere words are not as powerful as actions, I am off to a good start if I profess my intentions to those around me.  Simply thinking that I want to do what God says may not be enough.  There is no more powerful influence than accountability.

Therefore, if I voice my intention to do as God has commanded, I give myself a powerful incentive to follow-through.  Furthermore, when my heart is fully committed to what I have said, the actions that follow will set a powerful example to those who are watching.  

Knowing that my words mean something can set me apart from a world that loves to flatter and deliver empty promises (Titus 2:7).  When people see how they can trust my word, I set an example of the power of living in Christ that cannot be denied.

When I voice my intention to obey the Lord, I demonstrate to those watching me the integrity of my word as they see me follow-through, enabled by the power of Christ.


Living in a world that encourages me to look out for my own best interest and live to please myself does not promote godly living.  As a follower of Christ, then, I stand out from those around me, making me a leader.  What kind of an example am I setting for those who are watching?  If I demonstrate the power of prayer in my life, speak words of my faith in a dependable God, and voice my intention to obey Him, I will point others to the One who brings true meaning and abundant life to those who follow.  In so doing, I will realize the power of godly leadership.


As I begin this day it is my prayer that I can remember the eyes that are constantly watching me.

How do I often think my actions don't really matter that much, forgetting the influence I have on the world around me?

When do I tend to live unto myself instead of attempting to lead others toward life?

No comments:

Post a Comment