The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Take Courage!

"When Asa heard these words and the prophecy 
of Azariah son of Oded the prophet,
he took courage.
He removed the detestable idols
from the whole land of Judah and Benjamin
and from the towns he had captured in the hills of Ephraim.
He repaired the altar of the LORD
that was in front of the portico of the LORD's temple."
2 Chronicles 15:8



Asa stayed true to God.  As a result, he tasted peace for many years.  He removed idols, destroyed the high places and commanded his people to seek God and obey Him.  As a result of His faithfulness to God, he was given peace.  Peace, that is, until the latest uprising of the Ethiopians (2 Chronicles 14).  Perhaps he despaired despite the fact that God routed his enemy before him.  Maybe Asa wondered if God was still pleased.  For whatever reason, God chose to send Asa a message:  Keep staying true to Me and your efforts will be rewarded.

It doesn't take much to get me feeling discouraged, wondering if all that I'm doing really matters, if my efforts have made a difference, if my faithfulness is having an impact.  Sometimes it takes a little assurance that my devotion and loyalty to God and his calling on my life has not gone unnoticed.  It's easy to feel disheartened when it seems my efforts are for naught.  But God always notices the state of my heart and will reward my obedience.  Therefore, I can take courage!

Fully Act.  Good enough for government work, I sometimes think as I complete a task.  I'm not sure where I first heard this saying, but it somehow entered by consciousness and seems to stick.  The whole idea that I can do just enough to get by really appeals to my sin nature.  As long as I complete the task, what difference does the quality of my work make? 

If my heart is wholly devoted to loving God, I will want to do my best for Him.  Whatever I do reflects on Him so the Apostle Paul exhorts me to, ". . .do it all for the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)  If I think of making much of God as I go through my day, reflecting well upon Him as I cross every "t" and dot every "i", my attitude toward work may change.

This is especially hard if I have a hard taskmaster, a boss who works me without a bit of praise, or a husband who doesn't appreciate my efforts.  If I think of God as my supervisor instead of man and that I'm working directly for Him, my outlook may improve (Colossians 3:23-24).

I can take courage and do my best because God will reward me for my obedience.

Don't Delay.  I never thought of myself as being lazy until I heard a new definition of the word.  Laziness is failing to do what needs to be done as soon as it comes into my consciousness.  In other words, if I delay doing what I know is right, I'm being lazy.

It's easy to procrastinate.  In fact, I have a thousand wonderful reasons why I need to wait to act.  I'm not ready.  I need to practice.  I haven't figured it all out yet.  I need time to come up with a plan.  I don't have time.  I don't have energy.  And the list goes on.

In reality, there is no time like the present to obey God's calling on my life.  As soon as I take a step of faith, I can be confident that He will give me everything I need to succeed.  I can be equally assured of the fact that Satan doesn't want me to move forward and will do whatever it takes to delay me.  Therefore, I would be wise to respond before my enemy has a chance to act.

I can take courage and obey as soon as I receive my marching orders because God will reward me for my obedience.

Honor God.  I make an effort to avoid using any profanity or to say things that would make God look bad.  I take pride in the fact that I take care of His temple, my body (1 Corinthians 6:19-10).  I have made it my practice to attend church each Sunday (Hebrews 10:25).

Still, there are ways I dishonor God.  Sometimes it's easy to focus on the stuff that is obviously good, that is noticeable to everyone else but fail to pay attention to what is hidden.  What about my thought life?  How often do I think about things that grieve God?  Or consider actions that would not please Him.  Or hold a grudge that turns into a root of bitterness (Colossians 3:13)?

While others may not realize my indiscretions, God sees every vile reflection (Psalm 139:1-2).  It is important, therefore, that I honor God in everything, not only in what is obvious.

I can take courage and honor God in all my ways because He will reward me for my complete obedience.


While I fall into discouragement all too easily I can take heart in the fact that God sees my intentions, my efforts and my motivation and will reward me for obedience to His calling on my life.  Therefore, I can live my life to the best of my ability, acting without delay and honor Him in even the little or hidden things.  I can take courage for my reward is coming!


As I begin my day it is my prayer that I can keep my eyes on the prize that awaits me at the finish line (Philippians 3:14).

When do I lose sight of what God is preparing for me and only live for today?

How am I guilty of doing just enough to get by? 

No comments:

Post a Comment