The Key to Life

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Email Me!

Contact me with Bible questions, prayer requests or discipleship support. emailme! Unless otherwise noted, all scripture is from THE HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Rain

He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good,
and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.
Matthew 5:45



I awoke to the shower of life-giving liquid pitter-pattering against the roof just outside my window.  I sunk deeper into the warmth of my comforter, luxuriating in the soothing concert that sounded like the beautiful strains of a gentle melody. 

My mind recalled memories of the adventure of digging trenches around our tent in the dead of night to salvage the dry shelter from the onslaught of drenching downpours, to the pleasant lullaby it later played on the canvas stretched over my head as I  thankfully snuggled in my warm, dry sleeping bag.  

Allowing the lovely melody to lull me back to sleep, I thanked the Lord for this most wonderful of blessings.   

Rain.  Necessary for life, yet blocking out the warmth of the sun for a time as it falls to the ground like so much manna in the desert.  Isn't this much like the blessings God bestows upon us? 

Grace 

How much of my life is dependent upon God's grace?  Every breath!  But grace goes so much deeper than just the precious gift of life.  Pastor John Piper defined it as follows. "Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God."

Not only does the grace of God give me the gift of every beat of my heart, but it also miraculously gives me the ability to showcase the magnificence of God in the way I enjoy Him without my own wretchedness getting in the way.  

Grace empowers us in a never-ending flow to endure the difficulties of life. Paul suffered from some sort of painful problem.  As he pleaded with God for deliverance from his suffering, God replied that,  “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)  Grace gives us what we need to endure, exalting the wonder of God in the process. 

May I learn to recognize the thorns as just as necessary as the rain I so love.


Mercy

Many times I expect mercy from God because I know He is a merciful God.  But maybe I'm being a bit presumptuous.  In describing the sovereignty of God revealed to Moses in Exodus 33, the Apostle Paul concluded that, "Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden." (Romans 9:18)  

God is the one who decides from whom He withholds that which we deserve, and who instead receives what's coming.  It is all a part of His plan, that of which the scope I cannot fathom.  Trusting God means giving Him the right to do as He deems necessary, even if that means I might suffer in the process.  As a child of His, I know it is all for my good and a part of the refining process.

May I learn to recognize the sovereignty of God and His right to extend mercy upon whoever He decides, just as the rain can come as a sweet shower, or a torrential downpour.

Love

David was described by God as a man after His own heart.  Even though at times he failed to do what is right, grieving the Lord greatly in his sin, he intimately knew of God's love.  His words recorded in Psalm 86:15 illustrate this well. "But you, Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness."

I have a low view of love as a human.  I think of an emotion of affection, fondess or even passion.  But this is not God's love.  A description of His love is found in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.

Love is patient,
love is kind.
 It does not envy,
it does not boast,
it is not proud. 
It does not dishonor others,
it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs. 
Love does not delight in evil
but
rejoices with the truth. 
It always protects,
always trusts,
always hopes,
always perseveres.
  Love
  never
   fails.

May I learn to recognize the abundance of God's love all around me in the midst of suffering, just as the clouds block out the glory of the sun while they bring life-giving rain.

There are no greater blessings in my life than that of God's grace, mercy and love.  Like the sound of the rain I enjoy so much, I will seek to delight in His greatness, relishing the good things He overwhelmingly provides, even if the beneficial is disguised as trouble.


As I begin this day, it is my prayer that I will focus on the goodness of God, and trust in His plan for my life.

Where do I expect good things from God to be pleasant and comfortable for me, thus denying His sovereign plan?

How do I fail to recognize the overflowing grace, mercy and love of God in my life?

3 comments:

  1. Looking out side at the rain truly makes me think of how God shows himself in it! It's funny looking at the way humans think love should be like but then looking at God's love. I think his is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, just what I needed to hear. Thank you and thank The Spirit for working through you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I praise God for all that He is doing! His love truly is amazing!

    ReplyDelete